PS3 unable to view on new Sony DVD Player for my TV

Help I have burned this little 15 MB movie I created w/PS3 and I have no
problems playing it on any PC w/WMP Ver 10, but when I burn a copy onto a
CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-, or DVD+ and try to play it in my new Sony DVD/VCR
multi-format player, it won't play. The Sony supports regular CD's, DVD+
RW/+R, DVD- RW/-R, JEPG, MP3, etc, it's brand new. So who do you call ...
Microsoft who created the PS3 software, Toshiba (new laptop w/awsome
mulit-dvd burner drive), Record Now (software that does the burning) or Sony
who manufactured the DVD/VCR unit (new).

Each tech seems to want to brush me off on the other. Can anyone here help.
Like, is there some simple switch or something I'm not doing that makes a
big difference when I want this movie to burn to a disk to be played back on
a TV?
8 answers Last reply
More about unable view sony player

    What format are you saving the video in? Not all formats can play on all
    players. Typically what needs to be done in order to play in a standard DVD
    player is you create a directory called VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS and put your
    video file in the VIDEO_TS directory. Also make sure you're not creating a
    multi-session disk as most players won't work with that.
    "GrannyGoodWitch" <GrannyGoodWitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:3EA7E244-F468-411F-A6D8-3B7528645281@microsoft.com...
    > Help I have burned this little 15 MB movie I created w/PS3 and I have no
    > problems playing it on any PC w/WMP Ver 10, but when I burn a copy onto a
    > CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-, or DVD+ and try to play it in my new Sony DVD/VCR
    > multi-format player, it won't play. The Sony supports regular CD's, DVD+
    > RW/+R, DVD- RW/-R, JEPG, MP3, etc, it's brand new. So who do you call ...
    > Microsoft who created the PS3 software, Toshiba (new laptop w/awsome
    > mulit-dvd burner drive), Record Now (software that does the burning) or
    > Sony
    > who manufactured the DVD/VCR unit (new).
    >
    > Each tech seems to want to brush me off on the other. Can anyone here
    > help.
    > Like, is there some simple switch or something I'm not doing that makes a
    > big difference when I want this movie to burn to a disk to be played back
    > on
    > a TV?

    Thank you for your response. When you save a PS3 movie it is saved in two
    formats on your hard drive. One format is the PS3 format and the other is in
    the Windows media Audio/Video File format. I wouldn't know how to seperate
    the audio from the video. I just went to the PS3 help section and I see
    there is a new plug-in to burn PS3 files to DVD. Ya think this may help?

    "djaburg" wrote:

    > What format are you saving the video in? Not all formats can play on all
    > players. Typically what needs to be done in order to play in a standard DVD
    > player is you create a directory called VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS and put your
    > video file in the VIDEO_TS directory. Also make sure you're not creating a
    > multi-session disk as most players won't work with that.
    > "GrannyGoodWitch" <GrannyGoodWitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:3EA7E244-F468-411F-A6D8-3B7528645281@microsoft.com...
    > > Help I have burned this little 15 MB movie I created w/PS3 and I have no
    > > problems playing it on any PC w/WMP Ver 10, but when I burn a copy onto a
    > > CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-, or DVD+ and try to play it in my new Sony DVD/VCR
    > > multi-format player, it won't play. The Sony supports regular CD's, DVD+
    > > RW/+R, DVD- RW/-R, JEPG, MP3, etc, it's brand new. So who do you call ...
    > > Microsoft who created the PS3 software, Toshiba (new laptop w/awsome
    > > mulit-dvd burner drive), Record Now (software that does the burning) or
    > > Sony
    > > who manufactured the DVD/VCR unit (new).
    > >
    > > Each tech seems to want to brush me off on the other. Can anyone here
    > > help.
    > > Like, is there some simple switch or something I'm not doing that makes a
    > > big difference when I want this movie to burn to a disk to be played back
    > > on
    > > a TV?

    The ps3 format is the project file. No good.
    Save as a wmv file.
    Take this into your dvd authoring app and use this to make the dvd files
    needed, as mentioned above.
    If the software doesn't support wmv, take the wmv into movie maker and then
    save it as a dv-avi file.
    Do you have the likes of nero or roxio on the pc, as these will burn dvd's.

    Graham

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "GrannyGoodWitch" <GrannyGoodWitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:4982800C-DF89-46F7-8EA6-9ACF18948933@microsoft.com...
    > Thank you for your response. When you save a PS3 movie it is saved in two
    > formats on your hard drive. One format is the PS3 format and the other is
    > in
    > the Windows media Audio/Video File format. I wouldn't know how to
    > seperate
    > the audio from the video. I just went to the PS3 help section and I see
    > there is a new plug-in to burn PS3 files to DVD. Ya think this may help?
    >
    > "djaburg" wrote:
    >
    >> What format are you saving the video in? Not all formats can play on all
    >> players. Typically what needs to be done in order to play in a standard
    >> DVD
    >> player is you create a directory called VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS and put
    >> your
    >> video file in the VIDEO_TS directory. Also make sure you're not creating
    >> multi-session disk as most players won't work with that.
    >> "GrannyGoodWitch" <GrannyGoodWitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:3EA7E244-F468-411F-A6D8-3B7528645281@microsoft.com...
    >> > Help I have burned this little 15 MB movie I created w/PS3 and I have
    >> > no
    >> > problems playing it on any PC w/WMP Ver 10, but when I burn a copy onto
    >> > CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-, or DVD+ and try to play it in my new Sony DVD/VCR
    >> > multi-format player, it won't play. The Sony supports regular CD's,
    >> > DVD+
    >> > RW/+R, DVD- RW/-R, JEPG, MP3, etc, it's brand new. So who do you call
    >> > Microsoft who created the PS3 software, Toshiba (new laptop w/awsome
    >> > mulit-dvd burner drive), Record Now (software that does the burning) or
    >> > Sony
    >> > who manufactured the DVD/VCR unit (new).
    >> >
    >> > Each tech seems to want to brush me off on the other. Can anyone here
    >> > help.
    >> > Like, is there some simple switch or something I'm not doing that makes
    >> > big difference when I want this movie to burn to a disk to be played
    >> > back
    >> > on
    >> > a TV?

    WMV is a video file for the WINDOWS Media Player..maybe even some other
    Player installed onto your PC..to view a Video on your TV-set..you need to
    have Editing/Authoring Software..that offers MPEG-2 Compression..for Blank
    Media Disks..also..ONLY DASH-blank Media will play in your Home
    DVD-player..the PLUS-blank Media is basically for PC-files..purchase a
    DASH-Burner for DVD-video..also mpeg-2 compression creates the Audio section
    of your Movie(LPCM)for Digital Stereo..NERO creates Dolby-Digital Audio for
    Playback..I use a DV-video File(from the Palm-Corder)..and with some
    preliminary editing-SAVE in DV-avi(format)..I maintain that file type until
    ready to BURN(which creates the mpeg-2)Compression will change your
    FILE-size..the DV-file is a Max of 10-GB(for mpeg-2).the mpeg-2 file is about
    3.5 GB's(on the blank media)..WMV-will convert to mpeg-2..use a wma-file for
    your sound track or mp3..keep your Finished movie below 1-hour..6minutes for
    easier worktime.

    "GrannyGoodWitch" wrote:

    > Help I have burned this little 15 MB movie I created w/PS3 and I have no
    > problems playing it on any PC w/WMP Ver 10, but when I burn a copy onto a
    > CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-, or DVD+ and try to play it in my new Sony DVD/VCR
    > multi-format player, it won't play. The Sony supports regular CD's, DVD+
    > RW/+R, DVD- RW/-R, JEPG, MP3, etc, it's brand new. So who do you call ...
    > Microsoft who created the PS3 software, Toshiba (new laptop w/awsome
    > mulit-dvd burner drive), Record Now (software that does the burning) or Sony
    > who manufactured the DVD/VCR unit (new).
    >
    > Each tech seems to want to brush me off on the other. Can anyone here help.
    > Like, is there some simple switch or something I'm not doing that makes a
    > big difference when I want this movie to burn to a disk to be played back on
    > a TV?

    This is not all really true. + or - dvds will both play on home dvd players.
    There are some they won't play on, but this goes for both.
    You can check out www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers to see what each player will
    play, they are pretty accurate.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "smframe" <smframe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > WMV is a video file for the WINDOWS Media Player..maybe even some other
    > Player installed onto your PC..to view a Video on your TV-set..you need to
    > have Editing/Authoring Software..that offers MPEG-2 Compression..for Blank
    > Media Disks..also..ONLY DASH-blank Media will play in your Home
    > DVD-player..the PLUS-blank Media is basically for PC-files..purchase a
    > DASH-Burner for DVD-video..also mpeg-2 compression creates the Audio
    > section
    > of your Movie(LPCM)for Digital Stereo..NERO creates Dolby-Digital Audio
    > for
    > Playback..I use a DV-video File(from the Palm-Corder)..and with some
    > preliminary editing-SAVE in DV-avi(format)..I maintain that file type
    > until
    > ready to BURN(which creates the mpeg-2)Compression will change your
    > FILE-size..the DV-file is a Max of 10-GB(for mpeg-2).the mpeg-2 file is
    > about
    > 3.5 GB's(on the blank media)..WMV-will convert to mpeg-2..use a wma-file
    > for
    > your sound track or mp3..keep your Finished movie below 1-hour..6minutes
    > for
    > easier worktime.
    >
    > "GrannyGoodWitch" wrote:
    >
    >> Help I have burned this little 15 MB movie I created w/PS3 and I have no
    >> problems playing it on any PC w/WMP Ver 10, but when I burn a copy onto a
    >> CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-, or DVD+ and try to play it in my new Sony DVD/VCR
    >> multi-format player, it won't play. The Sony supports regular CD's, DVD+
    >> RW/+R, DVD- RW/-R, JEPG, MP3, etc, it's brand new. So who do you call
    >> Microsoft who created the PS3 software, Toshiba (new laptop w/awsome
    >> mulit-dvd burner drive), Record Now (software that does the burning) or
    >> Sony
    >> who manufactured the DVD/VCR unit (new).
    >>
    >> Each tech seems to want to brush me off on the other. Can anyone here
    >> help.
    >> Like, is there some simple switch or something I'm not doing that makes
    >> big difference when I want this movie to burn to a disk to be played back
    >> on
    >> a TV?

    It is in-correct to say that BOTH Blank media TYPES work "well" on Home
    DVD-Players..The Correct answer is that some Home DVD-Players are actually
    DVD-recorders in their own Chassis..So..what you have is Playback useing the
    PLUS-media Blank..only it Plays-Back on the DVD-recorder that Produced
    it..So..if you wish to be a Video Photographer..useing BOTH Still Digital
    Shots and Digital Video Capture from the Palm-Corder..you will want the PC to
    be your System..NOT a DVD-recorder..the purchase of Editing&Authoring
    Software is about half the price of a DVD-recorder..Your OPTICAL Drives come
    in two choices..DASH----and-----PLUS....and now a Dual layer(which is a
    PLUS-system)....Go with your PC....IEEE1394....DASH-media for the Home
    Player..PLUS-media for your PC-files.....your JPG-files will increase in
    quality if you store them on a PLUS-DVD-blank....audio playback is very
    good..I am a bit cautious on the VR-mode of the software packages....I'm
    sticking to regular Large FILE--->Compression---->mpeg-2.

    "Graham Hughes" wrote:

    > This is not all really true. + or - dvds will both play on home dvd players.
    > There are some they won't play on, but this goes for both.
    > You can check out www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers to see what each player will
    > play, they are pretty accurate.
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > www.simplydv.com
    >

    > "smframe" <smframe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > WMV is a video file for the WINDOWS Media Player..maybe even some other
    > > Player installed onto your PC..to view a Video on your TV-set..you need to
    > > have Editing/Authoring Software..that offers MPEG-2 Compression..for Blank
    > > Media Disks..also..ONLY DASH-blank Media will play in your Home
    > > DVD-player..the PLUS-blank Media is basically for PC-files..purchase a
    > > DASH-Burner for DVD-video..also mpeg-2 compression creates the Audio
    > > section
    > > of your Movie(LPCM)for Digital Stereo..NERO creates Dolby-Digital Audio
    > > for
    > > Playback..I use a DV-video File(from the Palm-Corder)..and with some
    > > preliminary editing-SAVE in DV-avi(format)..I maintain that file type
    > > until
    > > ready to BURN(which creates the mpeg-2)Compression will change your
    > > FILE-size..the DV-file is a Max of 10-GB(for mpeg-2).the mpeg-2 file is
    > > about
    > > 3.5 GB's(on the blank media)..WMV-will convert to mpeg-2..use a wma-file
    > > for
    > > your sound track or mp3..keep your Finished movie below 1-hour..6minutes
    > > for
    > > easier worktime.
    > >
    > > "GrannyGoodWitch" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Help I have burned this little 15 MB movie I created w/PS3 and I have no
    > >> problems playing it on any PC w/WMP Ver 10, but when I burn a copy onto a
    > >> CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-, or DVD+ and try to play it in my new Sony DVD/VCR
    > >> multi-format player, it won't play. The Sony supports regular CD's, DVD+
    > >> RW/+R, DVD- RW/-R, JEPG, MP3, etc, it's brand new. So who do you call
    > >> Microsoft who created the PS3 software, Toshiba (new laptop w/awsome
    > >> mulit-dvd burner drive), Record Now (software that does the burning) or
    > >> Sony
    > >> who manufactured the DVD/VCR unit (new).
    > >>
    > >> Each tech seems to want to brush me off on the other. Can anyone here
    > >> help.
    > >> Like, is there some simple switch or something I'm not doing that makes
    > >> big difference when I want this movie to burn to a disk to be played back
    > >> on
    > >> a TV?

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Holy Cow .. I'm 62 yrs young and this is beginning to confuse the h_ll out of
    me, but I want to thank all you good folfs for trying to answer what seems to
    be a not so simple question. Why can't all manufacturers of hardware get
    together with all software writers and get their _____ together to make our
    lives more simple!

    "smframe" wrote:

    > It is in-correct to say that BOTH Blank media TYPES work "well" on Home
    > DVD-Players..The Correct answer is that some Home DVD-Players are actually
    > DVD-recorders in their own Chassis..So..what you have is Playback useing the
    > PLUS-media Blank..only it Plays-Back on the DVD-recorder that Produced
    > it..So..if you wish to be a Video Photographer..useing BOTH Still Digital
    > Shots and Digital Video Capture from the Palm-Corder..you will want the PC to
    > be your System..NOT a DVD-recorder..the purchase of Editing&Authoring
    > Software is about half the price of a DVD-recorder..Your OPTICAL Drives come
    > in two choices..DASH----and-----PLUS....and now a Dual layer(which is a
    > PLUS-system)....Go with your PC....IEEE1394....DASH-media for the Home
    > Player..PLUS-media for your PC-files.....your JPG-files will increase in
    > quality if you store them on a PLUS-DVD-blank....audio playback is very
    > good..I am a bit cautious on the VR-mode of the software packages....I'm
    > sticking to regular Large FILE--->Compression---->mpeg-2.
    >
    > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
    >
    > > This is not all really true. + or - dvds will both play on home dvd players.
    > > There are some they won't play on, but this goes for both.
    > > You can check out www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers to see what each player will
    > > play, they are pretty accurate.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Graham Hughes
    > > MVP Digital Media
    > > www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    > > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > > www.simplydv.com
    > >

    > > "smframe" <smframe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > WMV is a video file for the WINDOWS Media Player..maybe even some other
    > > > Player installed onto your PC..to view a Video on your TV-set..you need to
    > > > have Editing/Authoring Software..that offers MPEG-2 Compression..for Blank
    > > > Media Disks..also..ONLY DASH-blank Media will play in your Home
    > > > DVD-player..the PLUS-blank Media is basically for PC-files..purchase a
    > > > DASH-Burner for DVD-video..also mpeg-2 compression creates the Audio
    > > > section
    > > > of your Movie(LPCM)for Digital Stereo..NERO creates Dolby-Digital Audio
    > > > for
    > > > Playback..I use a DV-video File(from the Palm-Corder)..and with some
    > > > preliminary editing-SAVE in DV-avi(format)..I maintain that file type
    > > > until
    > > > ready to BURN(which creates the mpeg-2)Compression will change your
    > > > FILE-size..the DV-file is a Max of 10-GB(for mpeg-2).the mpeg-2 file is
    > > > about
    > > > 3.5 GB's(on the blank media)..WMV-will convert to mpeg-2..use a wma-file
    > > > for
    > > > your sound track or mp3..keep your Finished movie below 1-hour..6minutes
    > > > for
    > > > easier worktime.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    I still disagree with your statements on +/- media but still not too worry.

    How does storing jpeg files on a + disc make them better quality?

    "PLUS-media for your PC-files.....your JPG-files will increase in
    quality if you store them on a PLUS-DVD-blank...."

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media
    www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    www.dvds2treasure.com
    www.simplydv.com

Video Sony PlayStation Windows XP Product