PC periodically freezes and restarts while playing WoW

Ever since installing my new video card and World of Warcraft my
computer regular locks up or completely restarts while playing the
game. The video card is an ATI Radeon 9550 256MB and my computer is a
Pentium III, 866Mhz with 768 DDR RAM and I'm running Windows XP
Professional SP2. I went to the ATI website and downloaded and
installed the most up to date drivers but it hasn't changed anything.
My computer has yet to lock up while not playing WoW, it only happens
in game.

And it doesn't seem to be an issue with there being to much going on
onscreen. I've got the game set to run at 1024x768 and most of the
settings are set to the lowest they can go. And even with these
settings fighting a simple creature one-on-one can result in a lock up
or reset. Can anyone help me out with a solution? I'm going to invest
in a completely new PC for or after Christmas but until then I'd really
like to play WoW without locking up every 30-60 minutes.

--
sonicblue
1 answer Last reply

    I don't play the Video Games that came w/my XP-Home Edition..but my Video
    Editing will cause a problem "something" like you have described..and my
    problem will occur at the tail-end of my Video Authoring/Editing File..its
    always when my HDD-contains a large amount of file(some 30-60 GB's)on my
    120-GB(HDD)..just about every time..I have lost a total days work in a
    flash-second..it never happens when I maintain under 30-GB's of
    Files(relating)to my Video-work..for a Video Game its very EXTREME on the
    Color Side..and then your Sound Card might be the real Problem..be sure and
    check your Sound Card for its Updates and Patches..check your
    ADVANCED-setting for Treble and Bass..Turn-Off the Equalizer..and then go
    from there..I use an Old FAT32 HDD from my Original-PC
    Configuration(external)and keep alot of stuff there..my present HDD is a
    MAXTOR 120-GB(7200-rpm)..the old FAT32 was 5400-rpm..and I may move up to a
    10,000-rpm HDD..512MB-RAM is quite good..less than that and I would
    upgrade..for the Video End of PC-performance..I sometimes need to update a
    DRIVER alot..why??I Don't Know..??then my PC runs great and sometimes it
    needs some attention..I would get 512-MB's of RAM..a 7200-RPM HDD..and a
    Processor over 1.8GHz..as of this timeframe..but check your Sound Card for
    changeing Values..that conflict with other programs..such as PLAYERS..or
    Sound Editors..basically I have stopped useing a Equalizer..and use a Sound
    Mode(jazz)(disco)(classical)(acoustic)..then the really good "enhancements".

    "sonicblue" wrote:

    > Ever since installing my new video card and World of Warcraft my
    > computer regular locks up or completely restarts while playing the
    > game. The video card is an ATI Radeon 9550 256MB and my computer is a
    > Pentium III, 866Mhz with 768 DDR RAM and I'm running Windows XP
    > Professional SP2. I went to the ATI website and downloaded and
    > installed the most up to date drivers but it hasn't changed anything.
    > My computer has yet to lock up while not playing WoW, it only happens
    > in game.
    >
    > And it doesn't seem to be an issue with there being to much going on
    > onscreen. I've got the game set to run at 1024x768 and most of the
    > settings are set to the lowest they can go. And even with these
    > settings fighting a simple creature one-on-one can result in a lock up
    > or reset. Can anyone help me out with a solution? I'm going to invest
    > in a completely new PC for or after Christmas but until then I'd really
    > like to play WoW without locking up every 30-60 minutes.
    >

    > --
    > sonicblue

Video Graphics Cards World Of Warcraft Computers Windows XP