Available Wireless Networks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

My View Wireless Networks routinely shows a couple of non-secure networks
from somewhere in my neighborhood.

At times they interfere with my wi-fi network. Is there a place/way to have
my system 'ignore' them?

TIA

More about available wireless networks
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    Neo Anderson wrote:

    > My View Wireless Networks routinely shows a couple of non-secure networks
    > from somewhere in my neighborhood.
    >
    > At times they interfere with my wi-fi network. Is there a place/way to have
    > my system 'ignore' them?
    >
    > TIA

    when you have interference there is only one solution
    change your own channel in the AP

    use netstumbler to find out which channels are available.
    or talk to them and set up a local area "channel plan"
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    You can also configure XP to connect only to wireless networks in your
    preferred list. In the wireless config click the Advanced button then
    select the checkbox for connecting to only preferred networks. Now XP will
    only connect to networks in your preferred networks list. You can add
    networks to your preferred list using the View Available Networks window.

    --
    Joshua
    [MSFT]

    "hans" <jkkrutgers@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
    Neo Anderson wrote:

    > My View Wireless Networks routinely shows a couple of non-secure networks
    > from somewhere in my neighborhood.
    >
    > At times they interfere with my wi-fi network. Is there a place/way to
    > have
    > my system 'ignore' them?
    >
    > TIA

    when you have interference there is only one solution
    change your own channel in the AP

    use netstumbler to find out which channels are available.
    or talk to them and set up a local area "channel plan"

Wireless Networking Microsoft Wireless Networking