Transitions in Premier 6.5

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 20, 2004 7:15:01 AM

I have been able to use a copy of Premier 6.5 at work, and I am trying to
get a feel for the program but I have already run into an issue that I
cannot find the solution for. I have an .m2v file that I have imported
into my project, and I have also created a 3-second Black Video object. I
dragged the Black Video and .m2v file into the Timeline, and I want to
add a Barn Door wipe from between the two, but when I do so I get the
"Fix Transition" window, which says that there are 0 frames of head
material in the .m2v file(?). Looking through the manual all I could find
were references to trimming the video file, but no clear instructions
about how to do that (or why it needs to be done). I would appreciate any
help/tips to get me through this one. Thanks.

--
TB

More about : transitions premier

Anonymous
July 20, 2004 5:29:50 PM

TB Player <psychobuffalo@sillyspamspoileryahoo.com> wrote:

>I have been able to use a copy of Premier 6.5 at work, and I am trying to
>get a feel for the program but I have already run into an issue that I
>cannot find the solution for. I have an .m2v file that I have imported
>into my project, and I have also created a 3-second Black Video object. I
>dragged the Black Video and .m2v file into the Timeline, and I want to
>add a Barn Door wipe from between the two, but when I do so I get the
>"Fix Transition" window, which says that there are 0 frames of head
>material in the .m2v file(?). Looking through the manual all I could find
>were references to trimming the video file, but no clear instructions
>about how to do that (or why it needs to be done). I would appreciate any
>help/tips to get me through this one. Thanks.

Premiere is not real good at editing mpegs. Some people find they can,
others not. mpeg was intended as a delivery format, not an editing
format. mpegs don't have frames as such, the file is temporally
compressed and only has "frame" markers at certain intervals.

You will probably have more success if you convert the mpeg to a good
quality AVI with something like virtualdub (google search will find it
easily if you don't have it, and it's free), do your edit then export
back out to mpeg.

Cheers

--
Kevin Gleeson
Blue Rocket Productions

Kevin Gleeson <kevingleeson@imagine-it.com.au> wrote in

> Premiere is not real good at editing mpegs. Some people find they can,
> others not. mpeg was intended as a delivery format, not an editing
> format. mpegs don't have frames as such, the file is temporally
> compressed and only has "frame" markers at certain intervals.
>
> You will probably have more success if you convert the mpeg to a good
> quality AVI with something like virtualdub (google search will find it
> easily if you don't have it, and it's free), do your edit then export
> back out to mpeg.

The mpeg files were converted from .avi using TMPGEnc, and I still have
the .avi files, but when I import them into Premier and try to use a
transition, I am still seeing the "Fix Transitions" window.

I seem to have misunderstood Premier's features. I had captured several
video clips using VirtualDub and converted them to mpeg using TMPGEnc, so
all I wanted from Premier was to assemble the clips, add a few
transitions and audio, and have a project ready for DVD. Is there a
better way to do this, with or without using Premier?

--
TB
July 20, 2004 8:35:42 PM

TB Player <psychobuffalo@sillyspamspoiler.gmail.com> wrote:

>Kevin Gleeson <kevingleeson@imagine-it.com.au> wrote in
>

>> Premiere is not real good at editing mpegs. Some people find they can,
>> others not. mpeg was intended as a delivery format, not an editing
>> format. mpegs don't have frames as such, the file is temporally
>> compressed and only has "frame" markers at certain intervals.
>>
>> You will probably have more success if you convert the mpeg to a good
>> quality AVI with something like virtualdub (google search will find it
>> easily if you don't have it, and it's free), do your edit then export
>> back out to mpeg.
>
>The mpeg files were converted from .avi using TMPGEnc, and I still have
>the .avi files, but when I import them into Premier and try to use a
>transition, I am still seeing the "Fix Transitions" window.
>
>I seem to have misunderstood Premier's features. I had captured several
>video clips using VirtualDub and converted them to mpeg using TMPGEnc, so
>all I wanted from Premier was to assemble the clips, add a few
>transitions and audio, and have a project ready for DVD. Is there a
>better way to do this, with or without using Premier?

Must admit I haven't seen this "fix transitions" dialogue before. I
just threw a couple of mpegs into the timeline and it was quite happy
using them (as I have said, some people don't have a drama editing
mpeg - I don't ever use them to edit though).

Have you tried creating a new colour matte in Premiere and seeing if
you can transition from that to black?

Do the AVI's play OK in the timeline? Has this system edited before or
is a new installation?

What codec are the AVIs?

Try holding ctrl/shift when starting Premiere (this will load the
default settings).

Cheers

--
Kevin Gleeson
Blue Rocket Productions

> Have you tried creating a new colour matte in Premiere and seeing if
> you can transition from that to black?

When I tried this, the "Fix Transisiton" window did not open, but the
transition still did not work - all I got was an "x" in the monitor when
the Timeline passed thru the transition.

> Do the AVI's play OK in the timeline? Has this system edited before or
> is a new installation?

Yes, the .avi files play in the Timeline - and this is a new
installation.

> What codec are the AVIs?

PICVideo MJPEG Codec

> Try holding ctrl/shift when starting Premiere (this will load the
> default settings).

That made no difference.

--
TB
Anonymous

If you got an "X", it means that the timeline needs to be rendered out, to
show the transition correctly.

rqo

"TB Player" <psychobuffalo@sillyspamspoiler.gmail.com> wrote in message
> Kevin Gleeson <kevingleeson@imagine-it.com.au> wrote in
>

> > Have you tried creating a new colour matte in Premiere and seeing if
> > you can transition from that to black?
>
> When I tried this, the "Fix Transisiton" window did not open, but the
> transition still did not work - all I got was an "x" in the monitor when
> the Timeline passed thru the transition.
>

> > Do the AVI's play OK in the timeline? Has this system edited before or
> > is a new installation?
>
> Yes, the .avi files play in the Timeline - and this is a new
> installation.
>

> > What codec are the AVIs?
>
> PICVideo MJPEG Codec
>

> > Try holding ctrl/shift when starting Premiere (this will load the
> > default settings).
>
> That made no difference.
>

> --
> TB
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 6:41:49 AM

TB,

I'm thinking your problem is a little more basic than the above comments
have assumed. You are putting the clips on the Video 1 track, right? You
are overlapping the clips where you want the transition, right? Then,
all you have to do is drag and drop the transition between Video 1A and
1B, and it will be the length of the overlap. If you want the transition
to last longer, you overlap them more.

This all works like a charm, no question whatsoever - if you are having
such problems as you describe, you must not know the basics of 6.5.
Flame me if I'm wrong.

Gary Eickmeier
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 4:17:59 PM

TB Player <psychobuffalo@sillyspamspoiler.gmail.com> wrote:

>Kevin Gleeson <kevingleeson@imagine-it.com.au> wrote in
>

>> Have you tried creating a new colour matte in Premiere and seeing if
>> you can transition from that to black?
>
>When I tried this, the "Fix Transisiton" window did not open, but the
>transition still did not work - all I got was an "x" in the monitor when
>the Timeline passed thru the transition.
>

>> Do the AVI's play OK in the timeline? Has this system edited before or
>> is a new installation?
>
>Yes, the .avi files play in the Timeline - and this is a new
>installation.
>

>> What codec are the AVIs?
>
>PICVideo MJPEG Codec
>

>> Try holding ctrl/shift when starting Premiere (this will load the
>> default settings).
>
>That made no difference.

I'm running out of ideas :-)

You say you are using MJpeg? Is this using some specific hardware like
a Matrox?

Cheers

--
Kevin Gleeson
Blue Rocket Productions

Gary Eickmeier <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>TB,
>
>I'm thinking your problem is a little more basic than the above comments
>have assumed. You are putting the clips on the Video 1 track, right? You
>are overlapping the clips where you want the transition, right? Then,
>all you have to do is drag and drop the transition between Video 1A and
>1B, and it will be the length of the overlap. If you want the transition
>to last longer, you overlap them more.
>
>This all works like a charm, no question whatsoever - if you are having
>such problems as you describe, you must not know the basics of 6.5.
>Flame me if I'm wrong.
>
>Gary Eickmeier

Good point Gary, I'd sorta assumed the basics :-)

Cheers

--
Kevin Gleeson
Blue Rocket Productions

Kevin Gleeson wrote:

> Good point Gary, I'd sorta assumed the basics :-)

It's entirely possible that he's used to some editing program that you
just butt the clips against each other and try to stick the transition
between them - like a Casablanca or something.

Gary Eickmeier
!