Encoding NTSC tapes?

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Hi,

I'm trying to encode NTSC tapes (I live in the UK).

Equipment:
Daewoo video which has NTSC playback
Pinnacle Studio Deluxe V8
Relatively fast PC

I can encode the video, but it will only give me black and white
images... I've tried copying the tape, but that degrades the quality
beyond all acceptable levels. Does anyone have any ideas that would
let me reliably encode these tapes (in colour)? I can only assume that
the Pinnacle Studio will handle it (I can set the input to recognise
PAL, NTSC or SECAM) if I can get the video output right.

This is an urgent job and I'm running out of time, so any help would
be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance
Murray
(remove the _no_spam_ to reply)

"Murray Elliot" <murray_no_spam_elliot@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to encode NTSC tapes (I live in the UK).
>
> Equipment:
> Daewoo video which has NTSC playback
> Pinnacle Studio Deluxe V8
> Relatively fast PC
>
> I can encode the video, but it will only give me black and white
> images... I've tried copying the tape, but that degrades the quality
> beyond all acceptable levels. Does anyone have any ideas that would
> let me reliably encode these tapes (in colour)? I can only assume that
> the Pinnacle Studio will handle it (I can set the input to recognise
> PAL, NTSC or SECAM) if I can get the video output right.
>
> This is an urgent job and I'm running out of time, so any help would
> be gratefully received!

Sounds like your VCR is doing "PAL 60" which is a bastardized
"standard" with NTSC timing and PAL color subcarrier. European
TVs can handle PAL 60 to view NTSC tapes. But few (any?) video
capture cards will handle it. You likely need a *real* NTSC VCR to
capture NTSC tapes. Or a capture card that handles PAL 60. Or take
it to someone with the proper equipment to capture it for you.

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

>Sounds like your VCR is doing "PAL 60" which is a bastardized
>"standard" with NTSC timing and PAL color subcarrier. European
>TVs can handle PAL 60 to view NTSC tapes. But few (any?) video
>capture cards will handle it. You likely need a *real* NTSC VCR to
>capture NTSC tapes. Or a capture card that handles PAL 60. Or take
>it to someone with the proper equipment to capture it for you.

Thanks,

That's what I was afraid of. Can anyone here suggest either a card
that will do the job (ideally something that I can use with virtual
dub), or recommend a UK-based service who could do the encoding for
me?

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:37:13 GMT, Murray Elliot
<murray_no_spam_elliot@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>That's what I was afraid of. Can anyone here suggest either a card
>that will do the job (ideally something that I can use with virtual
>dub)

Some capture cards support PAL-60 according to this thread:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?&threadid=75640

Arachnotron writes:

PAL-60 is NTSC with the chroma part converted to PAL (both encoding and
subcarrier frequency, 4.43 MHz). All timing remains NTSC.

All chips I have seen so far can do this, but most drivers won't let
you.

PAL-60 capable cards up untill now:

- BT878 with BTWincap, but this needs additional tweaking with BTtweak
because of a timing error;
- SAA7134 based cards (works very well)
- some ATI AIW models (don't know which)

So the cheapest solution apart from waiting for new drivers would be to
buy a Philips SAA7134 based TV card and use that. Terratec and Asus both
make one. Expect about EUR 60.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Murray Elliot <murray_no_spam_elliot@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to encode NTSC tapes (I live in the UK).
>
>Equipment:
>Daewoo video which has NTSC playback
>Pinnacle Studio Deluxe V8
>Relatively fast PC
>
>I can encode the video, but it will only give me black and white
>images... I've tried copying the tape, but that degrades the quality
>beyond all acceptable levels. Does anyone have any ideas that would
>let me reliably encode these tapes (in colour)? I can only assume that
>the Pinnacle Studio will handle it (I can set the input to recognise
>PAL, NTSC or SECAM) if I can get the video output right.
>
>This is an urgent job and I'm running out of time, so any help would
>be gratefully received!
>
>Thanks in advance
>Murray
>(remove the _no_spam_ to reply)

More details would be useful for others to help you.
How are you getting the video to your computer?

take a look at www.videohelp.com

Regards Brian

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

>More details would be useful for others to help you.
>How are you getting the video to your computer?

Video is hooked from it's scart to either svideo connector or separate
audio/video composite inputs on the Pinnacle breakout box.... which
is, in turn, connected to the pinnacle capture card...

Thanks for the link. I've checked through that site before but failed
to find anything useful to this particular problem (excellent resource
though).

TIA

>So the cheapest solution apart from waiting for new drivers would be to
>buy a Philips SAA7134 based TV card and use that. Terratec and Asus both
>make one. Expect about EUR 60.

Excellent, many thanks for this, sounds like it's worth a try.