What is the best video codec

In RAD Video Tools, there is a choice of many, including
Full Frames (Uncompressed)
Cinepak Codec by Radius
Intel 4:2:0 Video V2.50
Intel Indeo Video R3.2
Intel Indeo Video R4.50
Intel IYUV codec
Microsoft RLE
Microsoft Video 1
Microsoft H.263 Video Codec
Microsoft H.261 Video Codec
Indeo Video 5.10
Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V1
Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V2
Panasonic DV CODEC
DivX 6.0 Codec
DivX 6.0 YV12 Codec

No doubt other conversion software has others

Or this a question that can't be easily answered - horses for courses and
all that.

If so, what are advantages/disadvantages of each ?
--
Cheers,
Trevor L.

This would take forever to explain properly, I'd suggest a good book or a
long web search for more details. It is very much horses for courses though
once you understand the basic concepts you'll be away. I think Brandon Wirtz
has written a good book.

Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in message
> What is the best video codec
>
> In RAD Video Tools, there is a choice of many, including
> Full Frames (Uncompressed)
> Cinepak Codec by Radius
> Intel 4:2:0 Video V2.50
> Intel Indeo Video R3.2
> Intel Indeo Video R4.50
> Intel IYUV codec
> Microsoft RLE
> Microsoft Video 1
> Microsoft H.263 Video Codec
> Microsoft H.261 Video Codec
> Indeo Video 5.10
> Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V1
> Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V2
> Panasonic DV CODEC
> DivX 6.0 Codec
> DivX 6.0 YV12 Codec
>
> No doubt other conversion software has others
>
> Or this a question that can't be easily answered - horses for courses and
> all that.
>
> If so, what are advantages/disadvantages of each ?
> --
> Cheers,
> Trevor L.
> Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au

Thank you so much. I was afraid of that.

Would you be able to cut short the long web search by referring me to some
useful reads.

Another thing is that I sometimes read statements like - you can instal this
codec or that codec.
How does use an existing program and get that program to recognise a
different codec?
Is it a simple matter or what?
--

Graham Hughes wrote:
> This would take forever to explain properly, I'd suggest a good book
> or a long web search for more details. It is very much horses for
> courses though once you understand the basic concepts you'll be away.
> I think Brandon Wirtz has written a good book.
>
> Graham
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in message
>> What is the best video codec
>>
>> In RAD Video Tools, there is a choice of many, including
>> Full Frames (Uncompressed)
>> Cinepak Codec by Radius
>> Intel 4:2:0 Video V2.50
>> Intel Indeo Video R3.2
>> Intel Indeo Video R4.50
>> Intel IYUV codec
>> Microsoft RLE
>> Microsoft Video 1
>> Microsoft H.263 Video Codec
>> Microsoft H.261 Video Codec
>> Indeo Video 5.10
>> Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V1
>> Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V2
>> Panasonic DV CODEC
>> DivX 6.0 Codec
>> DivX 6.0 YV12 Codec
>>
>> No doubt other conversion software has others
>>
>> Or this a question that can't be easily answered - horses for
>> courses and all that.
>>
>> If so, what are advantages/disadvantages of each ?
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Trevor L.
>> Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au

A codec is a COmpressor and a DECompressor. So, if you make a file and
cpompress it with codec "a" the computer it plays on must have codec "a" to
decompress and play it. Most applications will search the net and find it
for you. If not a handy app like Gspot, link here,
http://www.myvideoproblems.com/WebPages/UsefulProgrammes.htm
will analyse the video and tell you which codec has been used.
Sherlock will tell you which you have installed on your system and if any of
them are broken.

http://www.free-codecs.com/Guides.htm

Graham

--

> Thank you so much. I was afraid of that.
>
> Would you be able to cut short the long web search by referring me to some
> useful reads.
>
> Another thing is that I sometimes read statements like - you can instal
> this codec or that codec.
> How does use an existing program and get that program to recognise a
> different codec?
> Is it a simple matter or what?
> --
> Cheers,
> Trevor L.
> Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au
>
> Graham Hughes wrote:
>> This would take forever to explain properly, I'd suggest a good book
>> or a long web search for more details. It is very much horses for
>> courses though once you understand the basic concepts you'll be away.
>> I think Brandon Wirtz has written a good book.
>>
>> Graham
>>
>> --
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
>> www.dvds2treasure.com
>> www.simplydv.com
>>

>> "Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in message
>>> What is the best video codec
>>>
>>> In RAD Video Tools, there is a choice of many, including
>>> Full Frames (Uncompressed)
>>> Cinepak Codec by Radius
>>> Intel 4:2:0 Video V2.50
>>> Intel Indeo Video R3.2
>>> Intel Indeo Video R4.50
>>> Intel IYUV codec
>>> Microsoft RLE
>>> Microsoft Video 1
>>> Microsoft H.263 Video Codec
>>> Microsoft H.261 Video Codec
>>> Indeo Video 5.10
>>> Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V1
>>> Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V2
>>> Panasonic DV CODEC
>>> DivX 6.0 Codec
>>> DivX 6.0 YV12 Codec
>>>
>>> No doubt other conversion software has others
>>>
>>> Or this a question that can't be easily answered - horses for
>>> courses and all that.
>>>
>>> If so, what are advantages/disadvantages of each ?
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Trevor L.
>>> Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au

Thanks,

That adds to my knowledge.

However, if an application does not have the codec needed, how dows one
install it .

I know that I can copy files from various sources onto my PC. But the
program has to recognise it. How do I do that?
--

>>> www.dvds2treasure.com
>>> www.simplydv.com
>>>

>>> "Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in message

That's where G-Spot will come in handy...

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

> Thanks,
>
> That adds to my knowledge.
>
> However, if an application does not have the codec needed, how dows one
> install it .
>
> I know that I can copy files from various sources onto my PC. But the
> program has to recognise it. How do I do that?
> --
> Cheers,
> Trevor L.
> Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au
>
> Graham Hughes wrote:
>> A codec is a COmpressor and a DECompressor. So, if you make a file and
>> cpompress it with codec "a" the computer it plays on must have codec
>> "a" to decompress and play it. Most applications will search the net
>> and find it for you. If not a handy app like Gspot, link here,
>> http://www.myvideoproblems.com/WebPages/UsefulProgrammes.htm
>> will analyse the video and tell you which codec has been used.
>> Sherlock will tell you which you have installed on your system and if
>> any of them are broken.
>>
>> http://www.free-codecs.com/Guides.htm
>>
>> Graham
>>
>> --
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
>> www.dvds2treasure.com
>> www.simplydv.com
>>

>> "Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in message
>>> Thank you so much. I was afraid of that.
>>>
>>> Would you be able to cut short the long web search by referring me
>>> to some useful reads.
>>>
>>> Another thing is that I sometimes read statements like - you can
>>> instal this codec or that codec.
>>> How does use an existing program and get that program to recognise a
>>> different codec?
>>> Is it a simple matter or what?
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Trevor L.
>>> Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au

It depends on the application, but there are ways of forcing codecs to be
used or placing them above others in order of importance. Some of which
needs changes to be made to the registry. Most apps though will see the
codecs once installed and make use of them.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media
www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
www.dvds2treasure.com
www.simplydv.com

"Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in message
> Thanks,
>
> That adds to my knowledge.
>
> However, if an application does not have the codec needed, how dows one
> install it .
>
> I know that I can copy files from various sources onto my PC. But the
> program has to recognise it. How do I do that?
> --
> Cheers,
> Trevor L.
> Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au
>
> Graham Hughes wrote:
>> A codec is a COmpressor and a DECompressor. So, if you make a file and
>> cpompress it with codec "a" the computer it plays on must have codec
>> "a" to decompress and play it. Most applications will search the net
>> and find it for you. If not a handy app like Gspot, link here,
>> http://www.myvideoproblems.com/WebPages/UsefulProgrammes.htm
>> will analyse the video and tell you which codec has been used.
>> Sherlock will tell you which you have installed on your system and if
>> any of them are broken.
>>
>> http://www.free-codecs.com/Guides.htm
>>
>> Graham
>>
>> --
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
>> www.dvds2treasure.com
>> www.simplydv.com
>>

>> "Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in message
>>> Thank you so much. I was afraid of that.
>>>
>>> Would you be able to cut short the long web search by referring me
>>> to some useful reads.
>>>
>>> Another thing is that I sometimes read statements like - you can
>>> instal this codec or that codec.
>>> How does use an existing program and get that program to recognise a
>>> different codec?
>>> Is it a simple matter or what?
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Trevor L.
>>> Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au

Thanks, Cari and Graham

Cari
I will look at G-Spot, but it doesn't mention (in its description) anything
about how to instal a codec. I can look further when I have downloaded it.

Graham,
Again how the app know?
Wouldn't the codec have to be in the same folder and/or wouldn't there need
to be a registry entry telling the app where to look?
After all, if the codec were in folder C:\kfupps\baloney, an app, such as
say, C:\Program Files\RADVideo\radvideo.exe, wouldn't have a clue it was
there, would it?
--

>>> www.dvds2treasure.com
>>> www.simplydv.com
>>>

>>> "Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in message

It is generally the app which will download the codec, so it puts it where
it wants it. Try a google search on manually installing codecs???
Have a good read of this site for more info.
http://www.fourcc.org/