understanding file system for set-top DVD player compatibi..

I have a DVD that was produced my one of my daughter's friends. It is a
production of one of her dance performances that I really want to preserve.
I want to make a backup of the DVD, because it does not get very good care.
In fact, I am a little too late.
I tried using Roxio 5.1 to do a disk copy but there is an error reading the
disc. So I used arrowkey's cd-dvd repair utility to copy the files off of
the DVD. This worked. I copied them back to a DVD+R disc and the disc works
fine on my computer. However, my set-top DVD player chokes and just displays
the nuber "4".

I have heard that files on a set-top dvd player disc need to be placed on
the DVD in a certain order. Is this true? Also, is there a spec on what UDF
filesystem version is supposed to be used?

Should I use some other software to put the files back on a DVD+R? I have
Studio 9, but I don't see a way of taking existing DVD files and placing
them on a disc. I have Roxio CD Creator 5.1 which does most of what I want
with DVDs.

Any ideas or pointers?

Richard
6 answers Last reply
More about understanding file system player compatibi

    I should add, that if I take a working desktop video created DVD and do a
    Roxio copy disc, the resulting disc works on my set-top dvd player. So, the
    problem doesn't seem to be in the physical aspects of the media or recorder.
    Richard

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:38:59 GMT, "Richard Otter" <sorry@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >I tried using Roxio 5.1 to do a disk copy but there is an error reading the
    >disc. So I used arrowkey's cd-dvd repair utility to copy the files off of
    >the DVD. This worked. I copied them back to a DVD+R disc and the disc works
    >fine on my computer. However, my set-top DVD player chokes and just displays
    >the nuber "4".

    Don't know about Roxio, cause I use Nero. In any case, you need make a
    "Video DVD" not a "Data DVD" -different formating. You drag the files
    to the compilation, as with a Data DVD, but they shall be recorded
    differently.

    Thanks for the info. What version of Nero ae you using? I go a copy with my
    DVD+RW drive, but I continued to use my Rxio SW that I already had
    installed. Maybe the Nero versio I have in the drawer will solve the
    problem.

    Is the only difference between a DVD video format and DVD data format that
    it uses UDF 1.02 instead of a more recent version of UDF?
    Or is file placement an issue?
    How about "finalization" of the disc vs finalization of the sesion?
    Does the addition of the ISO Bridge info cause it to fail in a set-top dvd
    player?

    Richard

    "Bariloche" <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:38:59 GMT, "Richard Otter" <sorry@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I tried using Roxio 5.1 to do a disk copy but there is an error reading
    the
    > >disc. So I used arrowkey's cd-dvd repair utility to copy the files off of
    > >the DVD. This worked. I copied them back to a DVD+R disc and the disc
    works
    > >fine on my computer. However, my set-top DVD player chokes and just
    displays
    > >the nuber "4".
    >
    > Don't know about Roxio, cause I use Nero. In any case, you need make a
    > "Video DVD" not a "Data DVD" -different formating. You drag the files
    > to the compilation, as with a Data DVD, but they shall be recorded
    > differently.

    I use Nero "DVD Video" and I set the ISO settings to the most basic. This means
    no Joliet file support or long file name support. Just the basic ISO 9660
    settings.

    > Thanks for the info. What version of Nero ae you using? I go a copy with my
    > DVD+RW drive, but I continued to use my Rxio SW that I already had
    > installed. Maybe the Nero versio I have in the drawer will solve the
    > problem.
    >
    > Is the only difference between a DVD video format and DVD data format that
    > it uses UDF 1.02 instead of a more recent version of UDF?
    > Or is file placement an issue?
    > How about "finalization" of the disc vs finalization of the sesion?
    > Does the addition of the ISO Bridge info cause it to fail in a set-top dvd
    > player?
    >
    > Richard
    >

    > "Bariloche" <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:38:59 GMT, "Richard Otter" <sorry@yahoo.com>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >I tried using Roxio 5.1 to do a disk copy but there is an error reading
    > the
    > > >disc. So I used arrowkey's cd-dvd repair utility to copy the files off of
    > > >the DVD. This worked. I copied them back to a DVD+R disc and the disc
    > works
    > > >fine on my computer. However, my set-top DVD player chokes and just
    > displays
    > > >the nuber "4".
    > >
    > > Don't know about Roxio, cause I use Nero. In any case, you need make a
    > > "Video DVD" not a "Data DVD" -different formating. You drag the files
    > > to the compilation, as with a Data DVD, but they shall be recorded
    > > differently.

    You say you copied to a DVD+R. Now I wonder if your desktop player can
    cope with that sort of discs. The most compatible disc is DVD-R, and
    some desktop do not even support that.

    Success!

    I dug out my copy of Nero Express that came with my DVD+RW drive.

    I installed just the main app, not the packet writing part. The installer
    suggested that I should uninstall Roxio's directCD, but I decided to try it
    with both installed.

    I killed the directcd.exe process to give Nero a better chance of working
    and it did!

    I used the Nero app to create a DVD-video format using the DVD files already
    on my hard disk and it worked first time.

    Now, I'd still like to find out why the Roxio formatted UDF disk doesn't
    work, but I'm quite happy.

    By the way, it looks like the Nero packet writing software doesn't work with
    CD-R or DVD_R disks, only rewriteable ones. This is in contrast to Roxio's
    directCD which does handle the single write disks. Most of my disc writing
    is for creating backups so I'll stick with the Roxio SW for my main tasks.

    > You say you copied to a DVD+R. Now I wonder if your desktop player can
    > cope with that sort of discs. The most compatible disc is DVD-R, and
    > some desktop do not even support that.

Tuner Cards DVD File System DVD Players Graphics