Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

understanding file system for set-top DVD player compatibi..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 9:38:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I have a DVD that was produced my one of my daughter's friends. It is a
production of one of her dance performances that I really want to preserve.
I want to make a backup of the DVD, because it does not get very good care.
In fact, I am a little too late.
I tried using Roxio 5.1 to do a disk copy but there is an error reading the
disc. So I used arrowkey's cd-dvd repair utility to copy the files off of
the DVD. This worked. I copied them back to a DVD+R disc and the disc works
fine on my computer. However, my set-top DVD player chokes and just displays
the nuber "4".

I have heard that files on a set-top dvd player disc need to be placed on
the DVD in a certain order. Is this true? Also, is there a spec on what UDF
filesystem version is supposed to be used?

Should I use some other software to put the files back on a DVD+R? I have
Studio 9, but I don't see a way of taking existing DVD files and placing
them on a disc. I have Roxio CD Creator 5.1 which does most of what I want
with DVDs.

Any ideas or pointers?

Richard
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 10:41:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I should add, that if I take a working desktop video created DVD and do a
Roxio copy disc, the resulting disc works on my set-top dvd player. So, the
problem doesn't seem to be in the physical aspects of the media or recorder.
Richard

"Richard Otter" <sorry@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:TMcLc.94233$yf2.24153@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com...
> I have a DVD that was produced my one of my daughter's friends. It is a
> production of one of her dance performances that I really want to
preserve.
> I want to make a backup of the DVD, because it does not get very good
care.
> In fact, I am a little too late.
> I tried using Roxio 5.1 to do a disk copy but there is an error reading
the
> disc. So I used arrowkey's cd-dvd repair utility to copy the files off of
> the DVD. This worked. I copied them back to a DVD+R disc and the disc
works
> fine on my computer. However, my set-top DVD player chokes and just
displays
> the nuber "4".
>
> I have heard that files on a set-top dvd player disc need to be placed on
> the DVD in a certain order. Is this true? Also, is there a spec on what
UDF
> filesystem version is supposed to be used?
>
> Should I use some other software to put the files back on a DVD+R? I have
> Studio 9, but I don't see a way of taking existing DVD files and placing
> them on a disc. I have Roxio CD Creator 5.1 which does most of what I want
> with DVDs.
>
> Any ideas or pointers?
>
> Richard
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 4:50:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:38:59 GMT, "Richard Otter" <sorry@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I tried using Roxio 5.1 to do a disk copy but there is an error reading the
>disc. So I used arrowkey's cd-dvd repair utility to copy the files off of
>the DVD. This worked. I copied them back to a DVD+R disc and the disc works
>fine on my computer. However, my set-top DVD player chokes and just displays
>the nuber "4".

Don't know about Roxio, cause I use Nero. In any case, you need make a
"Video DVD" not a "Data DVD" -different formating. You drag the files
to the compilation, as with a Data DVD, but they shall be recorded
differently.
Related resources
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 10:55:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Thanks for the info. What version of Nero ae you using? I go a copy with my
DVD+RW drive, but I continued to use my Rxio SW that I already had
installed. Maybe the Nero versio I have in the drawer will solve the
problem.

Is the only difference between a DVD video format and DVD data format that
it uses UDF 1.02 instead of a more recent version of UDF?
Or is file placement an issue?
How about "finalization" of the disc vs finalization of the sesion?
Does the addition of the ISO Bridge info cause it to fail in a set-top dvd
player?

Richard


"Bariloche" <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message
news:988rf09opko05hhbl99hgph3s3gm5m124g@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:38:59 GMT, "Richard Otter" <sorry@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I tried using Roxio 5.1 to do a disk copy but there is an error reading
the
> >disc. So I used arrowkey's cd-dvd repair utility to copy the files off of
> >the DVD. This worked. I copied them back to a DVD+R disc and the disc
works
> >fine on my computer. However, my set-top DVD player chokes and just
displays
> >the nuber "4".
>
> Don't know about Roxio, cause I use Nero. In any case, you need make a
> "Video DVD" not a "Data DVD" -different formating. You drag the files
> to the compilation, as with a Data DVD, but they shall be recorded
> differently.
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 12:58:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I use Nero "DVD Video" and I set the ISO settings to the most basic. This means
no Joliet file support or long file name support. Just the basic ISO 9660
settings.

"Richard Otter" <sorry@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:g_yLc.60$AY5.9@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> Thanks for the info. What version of Nero ae you using? I go a copy with my
> DVD+RW drive, but I continued to use my Rxio SW that I already had
> installed. Maybe the Nero versio I have in the drawer will solve the
> problem.
>
> Is the only difference between a DVD video format and DVD data format that
> it uses UDF 1.02 instead of a more recent version of UDF?
> Or is file placement an issue?
> How about "finalization" of the disc vs finalization of the sesion?
> Does the addition of the ISO Bridge info cause it to fail in a set-top dvd
> player?
>
> Richard
>
>
> "Bariloche" <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message
> news:988rf09opko05hhbl99hgph3s3gm5m124g@4ax.com...
> > On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:38:59 GMT, "Richard Otter" <sorry@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I tried using Roxio 5.1 to do a disk copy but there is an error reading
> the
> > >disc. So I used arrowkey's cd-dvd repair utility to copy the files off of
> > >the DVD. This worked. I copied them back to a DVD+R disc and the disc
> works
> > >fine on my computer. However, my set-top DVD player chokes and just
> displays
> > >the nuber "4".
> >
> > Don't know about Roxio, cause I use Nero. In any case, you need make a
> > "Video DVD" not a "Data DVD" -different formating. You drag the files
> > to the compilation, as with a Data DVD, but they shall be recorded
> > differently.
>
>
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 2:42:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

You say you copied to a DVD+R. Now I wonder if your desktop player can
cope with that sort of discs. The most compatible disc is DVD-R, and
some desktop do not even support that.
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 8:16:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Success!



I dug out my copy of Nero Express that came with my DVD+RW drive.



I installed just the main app, not the packet writing part. The installer
suggested that I should uninstall Roxio's directCD, but I decided to try it
with both installed.



I killed the directcd.exe process to give Nero a better chance of working
and it did!



I used the Nero app to create a DVD-video format using the DVD files already
on my hard disk and it worked first time.



Now, I'd still like to find out why the Roxio formatted UDF disk doesn't
work, but I'm quite happy.



By the way, it looks like the Nero packet writing software doesn't work with
CD-R or DVD_R disks, only rewriteable ones. This is in contrast to Roxio's
directCD which does handle the single write disks. Most of my disc writing
is for creating backups so I'll stick with the Roxio SW for my main tasks.



Richard

"Bariloche" <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message
news:vdvuf0t1s38q611f927mjvog8bj6lpg113@4ax.com...
> You say you copied to a DVD+R. Now I wonder if your desktop player can
> cope with that sort of discs. The most compatible disc is DVD-R, and
> some desktop do not even support that.
!