Video hangs during playback

Within the last 2 weeks, WMP 10 will not play completely through an mpg file
without hanging every few seconds. It seems like it is having a buffering
problem but these short 3 minute mpgs have never caused a problem before. I
tried downloading WMP10 again...nothing changed. Is there a buffer setting
that might have changed? I have 2G RAM and these files are little. I'm
completely up to date on all MS updates. ANY IDEAS why my little video clips
will not play all the way to the end without hanging - playing - hanging -
playing??? I've been doing this for a long time and something must have
changed on the system or settings in the last 2 weeks. HELP
5 answers Last reply
More about video hangs playback

    If your Video is "hanging up" you most likely created a lousy Video..its
    works quite well to Defragment the File from time to time..this is how I
    eliminated small "jitter" in my Video's..when a DV-avi File is created the
    sound track is tied to the video track..if playback is bad it will reveal a
    lousy soundtrack as well..my Video's have risen in quality since I have moved
    alot of files to my External HDD-library..Microsoft Movie Maker has never
    failed me with a File..maybe you should re-install other software that
    creates your movies..Defrag your Hard-Drive..use Disk Clean and RUN--CHKDSK.

    "video clips" wrote:

    > Within the last 2 weeks, WMP 10 will not play completely through an mpg file
    > without hanging every few seconds. It seems like it is having a buffering
    > problem but these short 3 minute mpgs have never caused a problem before. I
    > tried downloading WMP10 again...nothing changed. Is there a buffer setting
    > that might have changed? I have 2G RAM and these files are little. I'm
    > completely up to date on all MS updates. ANY IDEAS why my little video clips
    > will not play all the way to the end without hanging - playing - hanging -
    > playing??? I've been doing this for a long time and something must have
    > changed on the system or settings in the last 2 weeks. HELP

    Thanks for the response. I failed to mention that I also use other media
    playing
    products. No other product has a problem with my video clips. Only WMP 10.
    That's why I thought it might be a buffer setting or something. My system has
    a lot of resources and is lacking for nothing to be cleaned or defragged. I
    just hate that WMP 10 can't be used to view the mpg's like it has been for so
    long. Something must have changed with it since all other products work
    fine.

    "smframe" wrote:

    > If your Video is "hanging up" you most likely created a lousy Video..its
    > works quite well to Defragment the File from time to time..this is how I
    > eliminated small "jitter" in my Video's..when a DV-avi File is created the
    > sound track is tied to the video track..if playback is bad it will reveal a
    > lousy soundtrack as well..my Video's have risen in quality since I have moved
    > alot of files to my External HDD-library..Microsoft Movie Maker has never
    > failed me with a File..maybe you should re-install other software that
    > creates your movies..Defrag your Hard-Drive..use Disk Clean and RUN--CHKDSK.
    >
    > "video clips" wrote:
    >
    > > Within the last 2 weeks, WMP 10 will not play completely through an mpg file
    > > without hanging every few seconds. It seems like it is having a buffering
    > > problem but these short 3 minute mpgs have never caused a problem before. I
    > > tried downloading WMP10 again...nothing changed. Is there a buffer setting
    > > that might have changed? I have 2G RAM and these files are little. I'm
    > > completely up to date on all MS updates. ANY IDEAS why my little video clips
    > > will not play all the way to the end without hanging - playing - hanging -
    > > playing??? I've been doing this for a long time and something must have
    > > changed on the system or settings in the last 2 weeks. HELP

    OK..video clips....so we are concerned w/WMP-10...as a Playback Device...mine
    works well..it will mal-function if I create a DV-file..and attempt a Quick
    Re-view that the File contains the Sound Track from the Sound
    Card(CREATIVE)..the soundtrack will RUN at about 1/2-speed-->you know....like
    a bad dream...Digital Video is part of the Sound Track..even if you don't
    hear any "sound"..there is a sound track present..or the Video will not
    appear at all..if you ERASE the soundtrack in MSMM2 the Video or Storyboard
    Portion will ERASE along w/IT..they need each other..So...if you are haveing
    a WMP-10 problem...its most likely Your File...Play something else in
    WMP-10...Like a Store bought DVD..or a successful DVD-disk you have
    made..this will pass the MPEG-2 compression..the Large File is differant..I
    will Convert a DV-avi File into WMV-file....No Problem w/Playback...I always
    use the .wma File for sound tracks..mp3 works also...but I'm useing WINDOWS
    where-ever I can...mpeg-2 is a BEST Format..the others might not be
    compatible w/what-ever you purchased..I have 3-Video Players....installed on
    my PC...sometimes I must Search for my PLAYBACK....BUT...MPEG-2 works all
    over the place.

    "video clips" wrote:

    > Thanks for the response. I failed to mention that I also use other media
    > playing
    > products. No other product has a problem with my video clips. Only WMP 10.
    > That's why I thought it might be a buffer setting or something. My system has
    > a lot of resources and is lacking for nothing to be cleaned or defragged. I
    > just hate that WMP 10 can't be used to view the mpg's like it has been for so
    > long. Something must have changed with it since all other products work
    > fine.
    >
    > "smframe" wrote:
    >
    > > If your Video is "hanging up" you most likely created a lousy Video..its
    > > works quite well to Defragment the File from time to time..this is how I
    > > eliminated small "jitter" in my Video's..when a DV-avi File is created the
    > > sound track is tied to the video track..if playback is bad it will reveal a
    > > lousy soundtrack as well..my Video's have risen in quality since I have moved
    > > alot of files to my External HDD-library..Microsoft Movie Maker has never
    > > failed me with a File..maybe you should re-install other software that
    > > creates your movies..Defrag your Hard-Drive..use Disk Clean and RUN--CHKDSK.
    > >
    > > "video clips" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Within the last 2 weeks, WMP 10 will not play completely through an mpg file
    > > > without hanging every few seconds. It seems like it is having a buffering
    > > > problem but these short 3 minute mpgs have never caused a problem before. I
    > > > tried downloading WMP10 again...nothing changed. Is there a buffer setting
    > > > that might have changed? I have 2G RAM and these files are little. I'm
    > > > completely up to date on all MS updates. ANY IDEAS why my little video clips
    > > > will not play all the way to the end without hanging - playing - hanging -
    > > > playing??? I've been doing this for a long time and something must have
    > > > changed on the system or settings in the last 2 weeks. HELP

    I have recently acquired a Panasonic Video camera GS-35 and the software
    MotionDV STUDIO LE for DV

    I load the video using the software but when I play it back it is very
    jittery, both video and audio.

    I have converted it to divX (to play on a portable viewer) and that plays
    better.

    But, how do I avoid the jitter an my.avi files?

    It is very annoying

    --
    Cheers,
    Trevor L.

    video clips wrote:
    > Thanks for the response. I failed to mention that I also use other
    > media playing
    > products. No other product has a problem with my video clips. Only
    > WMP 10. That's why I thought it might be a buffer setting or
    > something. My system has a lot of resources and is lacking for
    > nothing to be cleaned or defragged. I just hate that WMP 10 can't be
    > used to view the mpg's like it has been for so long. Something must
    > have changed with it since all other products work fine.
    >
    > "smframe" wrote:
    >
    >> If your Video is "hanging up" you most likely created a lousy
    >> Video..its works quite well to Defragment the File from time to
    >> time..this is how I eliminated small "jitter" in my Video's..when a
    >> DV-avi File is created the sound track is tied to the video
    >> track..if playback is bad it will reveal a lousy soundtrack as
    >> well..my Video's have risen in quality since I have moved alot of
    >> files to my External HDD-library..Microsoft Movie Maker has never
    >> failed me with a File..maybe you should re-install other software
    >> that creates your movies..Defrag your Hard-Drive..use Disk Clean and
    >> RUN--CHKDSK.
    >>
    >> "video clips" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Within the last 2 weeks, WMP 10 will not play completely through an
    >>> mpg file without hanging every few seconds. It seems like it is
    >>> having a buffering problem but these short 3 minute mpgs have never
    >>> caused a problem before. I tried downloading WMP10 again...nothing
    >>> changed. Is there a buffer setting that might have changed? I
    >>> have 2G RAM and these files are little. I'm completely up to date
    >>> on all MS updates. ANY IDEAS why my little video clips will not
    >>> play all the way to the end without hanging - playing - hanging -
    >>> playing??? I've been doing this for a long time and something must
    >>> have changed on the system or settings in the last 2 weeks. HELP

    Don't recall the solution, but did run across an article that stated the same
    problem that you are having I think the word jitter or jittery was used as a
    keyword. It had a solution.

Video Microsoft Windows XP