Can't capture video; get 0x80040154 error message

Problem connecting a Canon GL1 camcorder via SIIG Combo USB 2.0 &
Firewire type II card S/N: JW7S40000589 JU-NPC012 to an IBM T40 laptop,
Windows XP SP2.
Situation:
1. The camcorder sends a movie via Firewire to a Mac without problems. The
camcorder does not have USB.
2. On the IBM T40 laptop, the camcorder plugs into a SIIG Cardbus Type II
firewire card ... and the laptop recognizes the camcorder as an installed
device.
3. When you open Windows Moviemaker (or MS Producer, or Windows
Encoder), it shows that the camcorder is attached, and lets you control
the camcorder to rewind the tape from software.
4. But when you tell it to capture the movie (in my test, a short
30-sec. clip) ... you get an error message 'An unknown error has
occured' and it won’t bring the movie in.
-- Moviemaker otherwise works properly... lets me make movies from
existing video clips.
5. In Windows Media Encoder, Capture Live Video, after properly going
through all the setup screens before the actual capture, you get another
error message: 'Class not registered 0x80040154'
6. In Microsoft Producer, using Capture / Video with Audio, this error
message: 'Class not registered'
6. Tried SIIG Cardbus tech support:
http://www.siig.com/faq.asp?faqid=10050856 ... change IBM T40 laptop BIOS
setting (Config>Power>PCI Bus Power Management from Automatic to Disable) ...
but it doesn’t work.
7. Uninstalled Windows Media Encoder 9, rebooted laptop, installed Media
Encoder 9, rebooted again... still get error message, can't capture.
Also, and I don’t know if this is related, the program U-Lead
Video Editor 7 will not install (it came with the Cardbus Type II card).

Thanks in advance for help!
Jon

Several people have had trouble capturing from combined pci cards
(usb/firewire) so I wonder whether the same can go for pcmcia cards. Can you
locate just a firewire card and try that and see if it makes a difference?

Otherwise see
http://www.myvideoproblems.com/ProblemPages/ProblemPages.htm
and check out the top two links.

Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Jon in San Diego" <Jon in San Diego@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:F49AAFF7-CE54-41B8-8557-36A73DFCBAD6@microsoft.com...
> Problem connecting a Canon GL1 camcorder via SIIG Combo USB 2.0 &
> Firewire type II card S/N: JW7S40000589 JU-NPC012 to an IBM T40 laptop,
> Windows XP SP2.
> Situation:
> 1. The camcorder sends a movie via Firewire to a Mac without problems. The
> camcorder does not have USB.
> 2. On the IBM T40 laptop, the camcorder plugs into a SIIG Cardbus Type II
> firewire card ... and the laptop recognizes the camcorder as an installed
> device.
> 3. When you open Windows Moviemaker (or MS Producer, or Windows
> Encoder), it shows that the camcorder is attached, and lets you control
> the camcorder to rewind the tape from software.
> 4. But when you tell it to capture the movie (in my test, a short
> 30-sec. clip) ... you get an error message 'An unknown error has
> occured' and it won't bring the movie in.
> -- Moviemaker otherwise works properly... lets me make movies from
> existing video clips.
> 5. In Windows Media Encoder, Capture Live Video, after properly going
> through all the setup screens before the actual capture, you get another
> error message: 'Class not registered 0x80040154'
> 6. In Microsoft Producer, using Capture / Video with Audio, this error
> message: 'Class not registered'
> 6. Tried SIIG Cardbus tech support:
> http://www.siig.com/faq.asp?faqid=10050856 ... change IBM T40 laptop BIOS
> setting (Config>Power>PCI Bus Power Management from Automatic to Disable)
> but it doesn't work.
> 7. Uninstalled Windows Media Encoder 9, rebooted laptop, installed Media
> Encoder 9, rebooted again... still get error message, can't capture.
> Also, and I don't know if this is related, the program U-Lead
> Video Editor 7 will not install (it came with the Cardbus Type II card).
>
> Thanks in advance for help!
> Jon

Sorry for butting in, but I have a combo card (IEEE1394, USB2.0 AND Gigabyte
NIC all in one) and I haven't had any problems!

I ran out of PCI slots.... so it was a case of 'have to' rather than 'want
to':
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815201208

It was the only way I could add the TV-Tuner and then the ATI HDTV Wonder
card because no one makes motherboards with like 10 PCI slots!
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Graham Hughes" <graham.hughes@dvds2treasure.co.uk> wrote in message
> Several people have had trouble capturing from combined pci cards
> (usb/firewire) so I wonder whether the same can go for pcmcia cards. Can
> you locate just a firewire card and try that and see if it makes a
> difference?
>
> Otherwise see
> http://www.myvideoproblems.com/ProblemPages/ProblemPages.htm
> and check out the top two links.
>
> Graham
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "Jon in San Diego" <Jon in San Diego@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:F49AAFF7-CE54-41B8-8557-36A73DFCBAD6@microsoft.com...
>> Problem connecting a Canon GL1 camcorder via SIIG Combo USB 2.0 &
>> Firewire type II card S/N: JW7S40000589 JU-NPC012 to an IBM T40 laptop,
>> Windows XP SP2.
>> Situation:
>> 1. The camcorder sends a movie via Firewire to a Mac without problems.
>> The
>> camcorder does not have USB.
>> 2. On the IBM T40 laptop, the camcorder plugs into a SIIG Cardbus Type II
>> firewire card ... and the laptop recognizes the camcorder as an installed
>> device.
>> 3. When you open Windows Moviemaker (or MS Producer, or Windows
>> Encoder), it shows that the camcorder is attached, and lets you control
>> the camcorder to rewind the tape from software.
>> 4. But when you tell it to capture the movie (in my test, a short
>> 30-sec. clip) ... you get an error message 'An unknown error has
>> occured' and it won't bring the movie in.
>> -- Moviemaker otherwise works properly... lets me make movies from
>> existing video clips.
>> 5. In Windows Media Encoder, Capture Live Video, after properly going
>> through all the setup screens before the actual capture, you get another
>> error message: 'Class not registered 0x80040154'
>> 6. In Microsoft Producer, using Capture / Video with Audio, this error
>> message: 'Class not registered'
>> 6. Tried SIIG Cardbus tech support:
>> http://www.siig.com/faq.asp?faqid=10050856 ... change IBM T40 laptop BIOS
>> setting (Config>Power>PCI Bus Power Management from Automatic to Disable)
>> but it doesn't work.
>> 7. Uninstalled Windows Media Encoder 9, rebooted laptop, installed Media
>> Encoder 9, rebooted again... still get error message, can't capture.
>> Also, and I don't know if this is related, the program U-Lead
>> Video Editor 7 will not install (it came with the Cardbus Type II card).
>>
>> Thanks in advance for help!
>> Jon

No worries Cari, I expect thousands of people have no trouble with them, but
a few have reported this as being their problem and when using a single card
it has been fixed, so it's always worth a try, and I've never known it on a
pcmcia card, but there's always a first time..... and besides that I
couldn't think of anything else to try at the moment :)

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

> [...]
>>> 5. In Windows Media Encoder, Capture Live Video, after properly going
>>> through all the setup screens before the actual capture, you get another
>>> error message: 'Class not registered 0x80040154'
>>> 6. In Microsoft Producer, using Capture / Video with Audio, this error
>>> message: 'Class not registered'
>>> 6. Tried SIIG Cardbus tech support:
>>> http://www.siig.com/faq.asp?faqid=10050856 ... change IBM T40 laptop
>>> BIOS
>>> setting (Config>Power>PCI Bus Power Management from Automatic to
>>> Disable) ...
>>> but it doesn't work.
>>> 7. Uninstalled Windows Media Encoder 9, rebooted laptop, installed Media
>>> Encoder 9, rebooted again... still get error message, can't capture.
>>> Also, and I don't know if this is related, the program U-Lead
>>> Video Editor 7 will not install (it came with the Cardbus Type II card).

Graham, thank you for your advice.
Went and got a non-combo Firewire card... but same problem, resolved for now
by putting the card in a different laptop (Compaq Win XP), which we'll use
for next week's demo.
At this point, I think that whatever is different about my IBM T40 (as
compared to the other, Firewire-compatible T40s in my workgroup) is a local
problem rather than a problem that affects all IBM T40s with Win XP SP2. I do
multimedia design, and use a wide variety of programs, and I'll bet that
there's a conflict between programs somewhere or other that could be truly
solved only by reformatting the hard drive, accompanied by a suitable
country-western dirge and a quart of Jack Daniels.
Again, thanks for the help...

Jon

"Jon in San Diego" wrote:

> Problem connecting a Canon GL1 camcorder via SIIG Combo USB 2.0 &
> Firewire type II card S/N: JW7S40000589 JU-NPC012 to an IBM T40 laptop,
> Windows XP SP2.
> Situation:
> 1. The camcorder sends a movie via Firewire to a Mac without problems. The
> camcorder does not have USB.
> 2. On the IBM T40 laptop, the camcorder plugs into a SIIG Cardbus Type II
> firewire card ... and the laptop recognizes the camcorder as an installed
> device.
> 3. When you open Windows Moviemaker (or MS Producer, or Windows
> Encoder), it shows that the camcorder is attached, and lets you control
> the camcorder to rewind the tape from software.
> 4. But when you tell it to capture the movie (in my test, a short
> 30-sec. clip) ... you get an error message 'An unknown error has
> occured' and it won’t bring the movie in.
> -- Moviemaker otherwise works properly... lets me make movies from
> existing video clips.
> 5. In Windows Media Encoder, Capture Live Video, after properly going
> through all the setup screens before the actual capture, you get another
> error message: 'Class not registered 0x80040154'
> 6. In Microsoft Producer, using Capture / Video with Audio, this error
> message: 'Class not registered'
> 6. Tried SIIG Cardbus tech support:
> http://www.siig.com/faq.asp?faqid=10050856 ... change IBM T40 laptop BIOS
> setting (Config>Power>PCI Bus Power Management from Automatic to Disable) ...
> but it doesn’t work.
> 7. Uninstalled Windows Media Encoder 9, rebooted laptop, installed Media
> Encoder 9, rebooted again... still get error message, can't capture.
> Also, and I don’t know if this is related, the program U-Lead
> Video Editor 7 will not install (it came with the Cardbus Type II card).
>
> Thanks in advance for help!
> Jon

My sort of problem solver, although jazz is maybe my prefered music.

--

message news:D6DA31F9-A11E-4574-AB35-3630F23BCF37@microsoft.com...
, accompanied by a suitable
> country-western dirge and a quart of Jack Daniels.
> Again, thanks for the help...
>
> Jon

I'll go with rock.... and diet coke!!