Live Concert Videos - Minimums to Record? Best Video Captu..

Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • Video
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 21, 2004 5:12:17 PM

Hello, I work at a large concert venue, The Canopy Club, in Urbana IL
(www.jaytv.com). I'm very bored with shooting videos there and want
to spice things up a bit... I have a couple of digital mixers for
output to the screens and devices, but have to use VIDEOTAPES to
record and hand to bands. :(  Being sick of this, I want to use a
computer to record shows and just burn them a DVD afterwards. I also
work at a place that does film transfer to DVD, and we use Matrox and
Canopus for rendering (www.filmtransfer.com), so I'm familiar with
video editing and eagar to learn more.

I want to set up a cheap computer that has an s-video input... it'll
take the final s-video output signal from my digital mixer and record
into Adobe Premiere. Now... my question(s) are... what minimum reqs
do you need nowadays in terms of chip, ram, etc... I'd like to use a
Matrox card (I definitely prefer that to Canopus...)... would you use
that or a different video capture card such as a Pinnacle DV500 in
order to do real-time recording? Could I get away with live realtime
professional recording with a Matrox RT2500 or RT2000? Or would just
a firewire or s-video -in card do just fine? (I certainly don't want
to deal with the 4:1 rendering time however, and would prefer a Matrox
card) I found a new card on Ebay, "All-in-1 TVDVAV Combo Video
Capturing Card with built-in SVGA TV tuner" and an external device,
DataVideo DAC-100; it looks like they could do the job without the
long rendering time. But I don't know for sure. I have to be quick
and hand the band a DVD and get money from them before they leave the
venue. :)

I suppose the system minimums are based more on the capture card than
the computer, but... I checked the Adobe and Matrox websites for
minimums and looked through these newsgroups, and I thought I'd ask
the experts... any advice on a good video capture card and minimums to
record so I can just hand bands a DVD after a show?

Also, what would you suggest for an external or PCMCIA card if you're
using a laptop? Finally, what's the best program to use to actually
rip dvds, for example, a dvd of my boss's wedding? :)  I heard that
the program to rip copywritten dvds is now illegal and unavailable.

Thanks for your help!!

More about : live concert videos minimums record video captu

Anonymous
July 22, 2004 2:47:14 AM

"Chad Maier" <chad_maier@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I work at a large concert venue, The Canopy Club, in Urbana IL
> (www.jaytv.com). I'm very bored with shooting videos there and want
> to spice things up a bit... ........
>
> I want to set up a cheap computer that has an s-video input...
> (I certainly don't want
> to deal with the 4:1 rendering time however,

Standalone DVD recorder.
Faster + Cheaper + Easier than using a PC
you can't hardly beat that combo
July 22, 2004 4:43:07 PM

chad_maier@yahoo.com (Chad Maier) wrote:

>Hello, I work at a large concert venue, The Canopy Club, in Urbana IL
>(www.jaytv.com). I'm very bored with shooting videos there and want
>to spice things up a bit... I have a couple of digital mixers for
>output to the screens and devices, but have to use VIDEOTAPES to
>record and hand to bands. :(  Being sick of this, I want to use a
>computer to record shows and just burn them a DVD afterwards. I also
>work at a place that does film transfer to DVD, and we use Matrox and
>Canopus for rendering (www.filmtransfer.com), so I'm familiar with
>video editing and eagar to learn more.
>
>I want to set up a cheap computer that has an s-video input... it'll
>take the final s-video output signal from my digital mixer and record
>into Adobe Premiere. Now... my question(s) are... what minimum reqs
>do you need nowadays in terms of chip, ram, etc... I'd like to use a
>Matrox card (I definitely prefer that to Canopus...)... would you use
>that or a different video capture card such as a Pinnacle DV500 in
>order to do real-time recording? Could I get away with live realtime
>professional recording with a Matrox RT2500 or RT2000? Or would just
>a firewire or s-video -in card do just fine? (I certainly don't want
>to deal with the 4:1 rendering time however, and would prefer a Matrox
>card) I found a new card on Ebay, "All-in-1 TVDVAV Combo Video
>Capturing Card with built-in SVGA TV tuner" and an external device,
>DataVideo DAC-100; it looks like they could do the job without the
>long rendering time. But I don't know for sure. I have to be quick
>and hand the band a DVD and get money from them before they leave the
>venue. :)
>
>I suppose the system minimums are based more on the capture card than
>the computer, but... I checked the Adobe and Matrox websites for
>minimums and looked through these newsgroups, and I thought I'd ask
>the experts... any advice on a good video capture card and minimums to
>record so I can just hand bands a DVD after a show?
>
>Also, what would you suggest for an external or PCMCIA card if you're
>using a laptop? Finally, what's the best program to use to actually
>rip dvds, for example, a dvd of my boss's wedding? :)  I heard that
>the program to rip copywritten dvds is now illegal and unavailable.
>
>Thanks for your help!!

As you use Canopus you can get the Canopus ADVC (analog to
digital/digital to ananlog) box that plugs into a firewire card.

Regards Brian