SV has 5x optical zoom.
I have the SV and the 550. Both excellent cameras. Miles ahead of most. I
also have a fuji 1mp and a fuji 2mp and owned a Kyocera 5mp for two months.

"John" <me@home.cmo> wrote in message
> the S5i or fork out the extra for the Sv?
>
> John

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

is it just the 5x zoom?

"Gymy Bob" <nothanx@bight.me> wrote in message
> SV has 5x optical zoom.
> I have the SV and the 550. Both excellent cameras. Miles ahead of most. I
> also have a fuji 1mp and a fuji 2mp and owned a Kyocera 5mp for two
> months.
>
> "John" <me@home.cmo> wrote in message
>> the S5i or fork out the extra for the Sv?
>>
>> John

No! Fabulous camera and I thought that went without saying. Compared to any
other camera I have seen it is way out ahead. too many features to even
begin.

Manual overrides on everything and very well done. The manual focus has an 8
times auto zoom to focus and then when you pause it zooms back to full
frame.

Missing? 640x480 movie mode. Only has 320 x 240 like most others.

I can fit three of them in a shirt pocket. It will always be in the wife's
purse.

Haven't used up a LioN battery charge yet over the season's pics but with my
550 I can take for a week of shooting with about 400 shots and never have to
charge the battery. That would have taking half a dozen AA NiMh charges on
any other cameras I had.

> is it just the 5x zoom?
>
> "Gymy Bob" <nothanx@bight.me> wrote in message
> > SV has 5x optical zoom.
> > I have the SV and the 550. Both excellent cameras. Miles ahead of most.
> > also have a fuji 1mp and a fuji 2mp and owned a Kyocera 5mp for two
> > months.
> >
> > "John" <me@home.cmo> wrote in message
> >> the S5i or fork out the extra for the Sv?
> >>
> >> John

> is it just the 5x zoom?

What else is there? The optical zoom is real, the digital zoom is FAKE.

FAKE zoom = no zoom

Just my opinion.

Kirk

kirk_ wrote:

>> is it just the 5x zoom?
>>

> What else is there? The optical zoom is real, the digital zoom is FAKE.
>
> FAKE zoom = no zoom
>
> Just my opinion.
>
> Kirk

Yep, it's "fake", but it's still usable for some scenarios. If you don't
take pictures at full resolution, the digital zoom is just as good as
optical with full resolution. A good camera offers the option to
automatically disable digital zoom when taking pictures at full res and,
when taking less than full size pictures, to adjust its factor so there
will be no lossy zooming.

--
"I marry Calculon, divorce him, take half his money, and turn back into a
guy - it's sort of a two-person pyramid scheme." --Bender

It may be used for some scenarios, but isn't needed. Shoot at the highest
resolution for your digital camera with the digital zoom disabled. Later,
you can crop what you want with Photoshop or whatever program you use.

Digital zoom is only cropping out unwanted pixels.

I am of the opinion that Digital zoom specs on cameras are only a marketing
trick to sell cameras to unsuspecting and uninformed consumers.

kirk_ wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> I will concede on the double JPEG compression point.
>
> When I crop for the internet, I don't worry about it, when I crop a
> Digital
> Photo for print use, I always convert to PSD before I crop. That way it
> isn't compressed again after cropping. I need PSD anyways, because I like
> to use color correction layers instead of changing the original pixel
> colors.
>
> Kirk

You know what, this got me thinking that, theoretically, it should be
possible to crop jpegs without recompressing, as long as you cropped full
blocks. So I searched Google, and whaddayaknow, a tool to do this does
indeed exist. Thought you might find it useful too, check it out:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/b/a/041577.htm

Cheers,
Daniel