how do I save footage on disc and edit it later

Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 23, 2004 12:39:03 AM

I am very new to video editing, have a "sony DCR TRV 355E " and edit on
pinnacle studio 8 , besides the audio sync which I can not figure out and as
I see it on the forums it is a common problem, I will be migrating to ulead
will try a trial and see if that sorts out the sync problems BUT my real
question is:
Am I able to save footage from my camera to a DVD or CD-R in lets say a
compressed avi format and edit it later, if I am able to do this HOW ???
All suggestions and advice will be appreciated

yours truly
aceface

More about : save footage disc edit

Anonymous
July 23, 2004 12:39:04 AM

"aceface10810" <allisamar@mweb.co.za> wrote in message
> I am very new to video editing, have a "sony DCR TRV 355E " and edit on
> pinnacle studio 8 , besides the audio sync which I can not figure out and
as
> I see it on the forums it is a common problem, I will be migrating to
ulead
> will try a trial and see if that sorts out the sync problems BUT my real
> question is:
> Am I able to save footage from my camera to a DVD or CD-R in lets say a
> compressed avi format and edit it later, if I am able to do this HOW ???
> All suggestions and advice will be appreciated
>
> yours truly
> aceface

You can, in theory, do this, using a program like Nero and using the DVD or
CD as a data disk. However, miniDV (or D8) require approximately 13
gigabytes of storage per hour of video. It is completely impractical to
save "uncompressed" miniDV (I put that in quotes, but miniDV itself
introduces some compression) on CD, and not very practical to save it on
DVD.

Anonymous
July 23, 2004 12:50:17 AM

so I take it that it is not able to be done because I would like to use
DVD - RW as a archive medium so that I can use the tapes again the camera I
have is a digital 8 tape format

"PTRAVEL" <ptravel88-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "aceface10810" <allisamar@mweb.co.za> wrote in message
> > I am very new to video editing, have a "sony DCR TRV 355E " and edit on
> > pinnacle studio 8 , besides the audio sync which I can not figure out
and
> as
> > I see it on the forums it is a common problem, I will be migrating to
> ulead
> > will try a trial and see if that sorts out the sync problems BUT my
real
> > question is:
> > Am I able to save footage from my camera to a DVD or CD-R in lets say a
> > compressed avi format and edit it later, if I am able to do this HOW
???
> > All suggestions and advice will be appreciated
> >
> > yours truly
> > aceface
>
> You can, in theory, do this, using a program like Nero and using the DVD
or
> CD as a data disk. However, miniDV (or D8) require approximately 13
> gigabytes of storage per hour of video. It is completely impractical to
> save "uncompressed" miniDV (I put that in quotes, but miniDV itself
> introduces some compression) on CD, and not very practical to save it on
> DVD.

July 23, 2004 12:50:18 AM

> so I take it that it is not able to be done because I would like to use
> DVD - RW as a archive medium so that I can use the tapes again the camera
> have is a digital 8 tape format

You can import the video from your camera into your computer and then use a
CD/DVD burner app (like Nero) to burn the resulting AVI file to a DVD-RW
with no problem. Actually I think it's quite practical and do it myself
sometimes. I just just bought 100 DVD+Rs (on sale) from Office Depot for
$57.75. So you are looking at under $2 to archive close to 60min of miniDV
video. I believe that Nero will span a single file across DVDs but I
capture my stuff into DVD sized chunks if I need to save it to disc. As an
alternative you can use your editor to output DVD sized AVIs from a bigger
AVI.

> "PTRAVEL" <ptravel88-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "aceface10810" <allisamar@mweb.co.za> wrote in message
> > > I am very new to video editing, have a "sony DCR TRV 355E " and edit
on
> > > pinnacle studio 8 , besides the audio sync which I can not figure out
> and
> > as
> > > I see it on the forums it is a common problem, I will be migrating to
> > ulead
> > > will try a trial and see if that sorts out the sync problems BUT my
> real
> > > question is:
> > > Am I able to save footage from my camera to a DVD or CD-R in lets say
> > > compressed avi format and edit it later, if I am able to do this HOW
> ???
> > > All suggestions and advice will be appreciated
> > >
> > > yours truly
> > > aceface
> >
> > You can, in theory, do this, using a program like Nero and using the DVD
> or
> > CD as a data disk. However, miniDV (or D8) require approximately 13
> > gigabytes of storage per hour of video. It is completely impractical to
> > save "uncompressed" miniDV (I put that in quotes, but miniDV itself
> > introduces some compression) on CD, and not very practical to save it on
> > DVD.
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 12:50:18 AM

"aceface10810" <allisamar@mweb.co.za> wrote in message
> so I take it that it is not able to be done because I would like to use
> DVD - RW as a archive medium so that I can use the tapes again the camera
> have is a digital 8 tape format

First of all, it is a bad idea to reuse tape. The more it is run, the more
it stretches, the more likely that oxide will flake off and the more likely
you'll have drop outs and will muck up your heads.

Next, you can always store video to DVDs, but as MPEG2 which is viewable on
televisions using standard DVD players. However, MPEG2 is very difficult to
edit (and most NLE editors can't handle it well or at all), and will result
in significant loss of quality.

Digital 8 tape is only a couple of bucks each. Why do you want to reuse
them?

> "PTRAVEL" <ptravel88-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "aceface10810" <allisamar@mweb.co.za> wrote in message
> > > I am very new to video editing, have a "sony DCR TRV 355E " and edit
on
> > > pinnacle studio 8 , besides the audio sync which I can not figure out
> and
> > as
> > > I see it on the forums it is a common problem, I will be migrating to
> > ulead
> > > will try a trial and see if that sorts out the sync problems BUT my
> real
> > > question is:
> > > Am I able to save footage from my camera to a DVD or CD-R in lets say
> > > compressed avi format and edit it later, if I am able to do this HOW
> ???
> > > All suggestions and advice will be appreciated
> > >
> > > yours truly
> > > aceface
> >
> > You can, in theory, do this, using a program like Nero and using the DVD
> or
> > CD as a data disk. However, miniDV (or D8) require approximately 13
> > gigabytes of storage per hour of video. It is completely impractical to
> > save "uncompressed" miniDV (I put that in quotes, but miniDV itself
> > introduces some compression) on CD, and not very practical to save it on
> > DVD.

July 23, 2004 5:57:01 PM

"aceface10810" <allisamar@mweb.co.za> wrote in message
> I am very new to video editing, have a "sony DCR TRV 355E " and edit on
> pinnacle studio 8 , besides the audio sync which I can not figure out and
as
> I see it on the forums it is a common problem, I will be migrating to
ulead
> will try a trial and see if that sorts out the sync problems BUT my real
> question is:
> Am I able to save footage from my camera to a DVD or CD-R in lets say a
> compressed avi format and edit it later, if I am able to do this HOW ???
> All suggestions and advice will be appreciated

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here -

How are you currently getting the footage off the camera on to your
computer? Or are you?

You need a capture device - typically, the IEEE 1394 (firewire) interface,
which your camera should have. Your capture software should handle the
capturing of the footage into an AVI file, at standard DV compression (which
gives you about 5 minutes / GB).

You can then write the files directly to a DVD (don't bother with CD's), as
long as you keep the file size below the 4.7GB that a DVD-ROM can take. Save
them as DATA FILES, not as video. Just remember, if you save them directly,
you'll get about 20 minutes of raw footage per DVD.

Or you can compress them - use your video editing program to do this - and
get a bit more on the DVD.

Honestly, though, you're better off, IMO, using the tapes as a storage
medium until you edit. You can reuse tapes a LITTLE but you don't want to
reuse too many times, and given the relative cost of the media compared to
the storage capacity, you're MUCH better off from a financial standpoint to
just buy new tapes.

Hope that helps a little.