where can I learn about the different video formats?

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.multimedia (More info?)

Hello,

Where can I learn about the different video formats? I've heard of
AVI, MPEG, MOV, etc. Can someone recommend a website that will
distinguish them for me?

In particular: my son wants to use the PC to make a short video from
stills taken on a digital camera. He and I need to learn which
formats would be recommended in this case (among many other things).

Someone's going to say "Google for it". I did, and got 408,000 hits
that don't seem to really be on target. Suggestions?

Thank you for all replies!

Ted Shoemaker

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.multimedia (More info?)

"Ted Shoemaker" wrote ...
> Where can I learn about the different video formats? I've heard of
> AVI, MPEG, MOV, etc. Can someone recommend a website that will
> distinguish them for me?
>
> In particular: my son wants to use the PC to make a short video from
> stills taken on a digital camera. He and I need to learn which
> formats would be recommended in this case (among many other things).

Maybe you should start with the hardware you already seem
to have, and whatever software came with it (or whatever you
are going to use for editing, etc.) Usually if you take care of
those primary things, secondary things like codecs and file
formats, etc. take care of themselves.

Here are a couple of URLs that may or may not be of some interest...
http://www.codecpage.com/
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/compon.htm
http://www.adamwilt.com/DV.html

"Ted Shoemaker" <shoemakerted@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Where can I learn about the different video formats? I've heard of
> AVI, MPEG, MOV, etc. Can someone recommend a website that will
> distinguish them for me?
>
> In particular: my son wants to use the PC to make a short video from
> stills taken on a digital camera. He and I need to learn which
> formats would be recommended in this case (among many other things).
>
> Someone's going to say "Google for it". I did, and got 408,000 hits
> that don't seem to really be on target. Suggestions?
>
> Thank you for all replies!
>
> Ted Shoemaker

Add more words to your Google entry.

Luck;