Wireless connected but can't ping

I have a desktop and a laptop. I had the desktop successfully running ICS
with Ethernet and WiFi bridged, and all worked fine.

Then I tried an external Linksys ADSL gateway, which didn't provide the
range of the desktop's internal PCI WiFi card, so I rejected the Linksys and
re-esablished ICS on the desktop.

Now, while the actual wireless connection is reported 'Excellent', and the
ICS computer successfully sets the laptop's address by DHCP, I can no longer
ping between the computers. In desperation, I tried setting the bridged
wireless card forced compatibility mode, which didn't help,

Any other ideas??

Dax

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003

"Adam Skeaping" wrote:

> I have a desktop and a laptop. I had the desktop successfully running ICS
> with Ethernet and WiFi bridged, and all worked fine.
>
> Then I tried an external Linksys ADSL gateway, which didn't provide the
> range of the desktop's internal PCI WiFi card, so I rejected the Linksys and
> re-esablished ICS on the desktop.
>
> Now, while the actual wireless connection is reported 'Excellent', and the
> ICS computer successfully sets the laptop's address by DHCP, I can no longer
> ping between the computers. In desperation, I tried setting the bridged
> wireless card forced compatibility mode, which didn't help,
>
> Any other ideas??

Dax

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003

"Adam Skeaping" wrote:

> I have a desktop and a laptop. I had the desktop successfully running ICS
> with Ethernet and WiFi bridged, and all worked fine.
>
> Then I tried an external Linksys ADSL gateway, which didn't provide the
> range of the desktop's internal PCI WiFi card, so I rejected the Linksys and
> re-esablished ICS on the desktop.
>
> Now, while the actual wireless connection is reported 'Excellent', and the
> ICS computer successfully sets the laptop's address by DHCP, I can no longer
> ping between the computers. In desperation, I tried setting the bridged
> wireless card forced compatibility mode, which didn't help,
>
> Any other ideas?? It sounds like you have solved the problem I am having. I cant get my computer to set the laptop address by DHCP. the wireless card receives but won't recognize my comcast through the Netgear access point anymore (it used to) I can use my wireless card everywhere but at my own house.! it won't "flush the ARP cache " and noone seems to know what that means. ISP COMcast has one tech support- "turn offyour modem for 30 secs and try again" that is all they have to say. Netgear was about as helpful.

Tad

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2004

Have the same prob as you and in desperation typed in arp cache in above slot
and in athe next one wireless networking and it took me to 10 possible
solutions. haven't checked them all yet but will now. good luck

"Adam Skeaping" wrote:

> I have a desktop and a laptop. I had the desktop successfully running ICS
> with Ethernet and WiFi bridged, and all worked fine.
>
> Then I tried an external Linksys ADSL gateway, which didn't provide the
> range of the desktop's internal PCI WiFi card, so I rejected the Linksys and
> re-esablished ICS on the desktop.
>
> Now, while the actual wireless connection is reported 'Excellent', and the
> ICS computer successfully sets the laptop's address by DHCP, I can no longer
> ping between the computers. In desperation, I tried setting the bridged
> wireless card forced compatibility mode, which didn't help,
>
> Any other ideas??

Tad

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2004

sorry that should have read the slot above "arp cache and wireless
networking" in the search microsoft.com slot.

"dax" wrote:

> "Adam Skeaping" wrote:
>
> > I have a desktop and a laptop. I had the desktop successfully running ICS
> > with Ethernet and WiFi bridged, and all worked fine.
> >
> > Then I tried an external Linksys ADSL gateway, which didn't provide the
> > range of the desktop's internal PCI WiFi card, so I rejected the Linksys and
> > re-esablished ICS on the desktop.
> >
> > Now, while the actual wireless connection is reported 'Excellent', and the
> > ICS computer successfully sets the laptop's address by DHCP, I can no longer
> > ping between the computers. In desperation, I tried setting the bridged
> > wireless card forced compatibility mode, which didn't help,
> >
> > Any other ideas?? It sounds like you have solved the problem I am having. I cant get my computer to set the laptop address by DHCP. the wireless card receives but won't recognize my comcast through the Netgear access point anymore (it used to) I can use my wireless card everywhere but at my own house.! it won't "flush the ARP cache " and noone seems to know what that means. ISP COMcast has one tech support- "turn offyour modem for 30 secs and try again" that is all they have to say. Netgear was about as helpful.

TRENDING THREADS