Your question

New build - System Instability

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Product
Last response: in Windows 7
December 31, 2010 1:52:00 PM

Problem
I built my new PC a couple of weeks ago, with mostly new parts (kept my PSU and HDD). My PC keeps on completely freezing (no audio, can't move the mouse), forcing me to force shutdown and turn it back on again. Sometimes after turning it off it works fine, other times it freezes again at any point during startup (once during BIOS, sometimes during Windows setup, and sometimes minutes after it is fully started). The problem is, this freezing happens randomly. So far it's occurred while the system was idle, while watching a Youtube video, and while opening Google Chrome. What is weird is how it rarely happens during gaming. I played 6 hours straight of Bad Company 2 on max settings with no problems. I've also played about 10 hours of The Witcher this week and have only had it freeze once. Sometimes the PC will freeze multiple times in a day, and sometimes it will only freeze a few times a week.

What I've Tried
I've run MemTest 86 and MemTest86+ when I initally bought the computer, and it found no problems. I ran these tests again two days ago and it still found no problems. I also ran a couple of stress tests (using Prime96) and the PC never crashed when it was under full load. When I use Speedfan, my System is normally 29C, my CPU is 36C, my video card is 40C, and the "Core" is 35C. The ONLY thing it has a problem with is something called "AUX" which changes from anywhere between 40C and 130C. I read on the internet that it shouldn't matter, but... that's what it is.

I've also checked the error logs, and so far I can't really find anything that corresponds to the times that is freezing. I've ALSO ran my computer with all the startup items turned off, but it also froze that way too.

Parts

Video Card: GIGABYTE Ultra Durable VGA Series Radeon HD 6850 1GB

Motherboard: ASRock Extreme3 870

RAM: G.Skill 4gb 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (Four 2gb sticks for 8gb total)

PSU: CORSAIR 750W (I've had this part for over 6 months now, so this wasn't a "new" part for this build)

HDD: WD Caviar Black HDD (I've had this part for over 6 months now, so this wasn't a "new" part for this build)

Shouldn't matter, but to be comprehensive...
-DVD Burner
-Cooler Master CM690 Case

I'm really, really confused on what could be the issue, or how to single out the part. I've messed with RAM timings, and GSkill says they should be set to 9-9-9-24-2N with a voltage of 1.5. I've done that in the MOBO, with the exception of "2N" which I don't really understand.

At the recommendation of someone else, I've started running my PC with only one stick of RAM at a time. I just tried the first stick yesterday in the first slot, and it froze at the very end of the day (after I had already played the Witcher and watched a movie on it). I'm now trying the second RAM stick in the second slot, but I'm really not hopeful.

It was suggested to me that I run MemTest with one stick in it at a time (which I haven't done yet). Is that really necessary? I was under the impression that MemTest simply found errors on all the sticks, if there were any.

Finally, as just a side note, I built my brother a PC very similar to mine (everything except the case and the HDD are the same) and he has had no problems with his yet, telling me that everything is physically compatible and that the memory timings must be right...

Sorry for the long post! Any ideas anyone?

UPDATE: After reading on another post here about CPU-Z, I downloaded it to check my timings. It says DRAM Frequency 801.6 MHz, FSB: DRAM 1:4, CL 9, tRCD 9, tRP 9, tRAS 24, tRC 40, CR 2T.

To me, that looks like the "9-9-9-24" part is right, but the CR 2T should be 2N, correct? I went through my BIOS but didn't really see a way to change the command rate. I could be missing something though. Is this a problem?

More about : build system instability

a b $ Windows 7
December 31, 2010 2:47:19 PM

Since you've recycled your old PSU, it's worth getting your hands on a known good one to test. Faulty power supplies can cause a lot of issues... random freezing is one of those issues.
m
l
December 31, 2010 3:57:04 PM

Okay... do you think the PSU is more likely than the Memory, or should I continue my "using 1 stick at a time" testing before trying a new PSU?

Like I said, I've run many MemTest cycles with all 4 sticks in and it reported no problems, but I've heard that I may need to run it with 1 stick at a time to get valid results.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 31, 2010 4:20:12 PM

Hmmm.....did you wipe the HD clean and install Windows fresh for this rebuild ?

What does Event Viewer say after rebooting ?

If the RAM runs fine w/ all sticks installed, no need to run them one at a time.

Run OCCT and check the voltage / temp graphs for any anomalies.
m
l
December 31, 2010 4:42:39 PM

Yes - I did a clean install of Windows 7 when I upgraded my hardware.

After the PC shuts down and restarts, event viewer has no event log errors (besides the Kernel Power errors which simply state that the PC was shutdown unexpectedly). The ONLY consistent application error I get is something from SideBySide which is this:
"Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Designer 8.2\FormDesigner.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7600.16661_none_fa62ad231704eab7.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7600.16661_none_420fe3fa2b8113bd.manifest."

However, I read that this was a fairly common problem, relating to an Adobe issue, that shouldn't be causing any problems to my PC.

I'm running OCCT right now... I've never used this before, but I assume I just let it run for its 1 hour test and then check the graphs it generates at the end? What exactly am I looking for as far as Voltage anomalies?
m
l
December 31, 2010 5:45:35 PM

Here are the results from a 1 hour OCCT scan.

CPU: Temps maxed at 56C while under 100% load for an hour. Temps average 55C.

VCore: This seemed about right, although I'm pretty sure I don't know what I was looking for. VCore stayed solid just above 1.35V when CPU was under load.

3.3V: This stayed at just above 3.4V, but below 3.42V.

5V: This stayed at just below 5.2V (but above 5.15V).

12V: This stayed at 13.2V

If necessary, I can post the pictures so anyone can see what they look like. Just would have to find a place to upload them.

The test says that it found no errors...
m
l
January 3, 2011 8:29:11 PM

So, after a nearly flawless weekend with my PC, I've started to run into problems with it again since I came home from work tonight. This time, I at least have some blue screens and error logs to report. Hopefully someone can translate these into a specific problem...

Instead of simply freezing, which it hasn't done in three days now, my PC is now crashing and being generally unstable. I haven't done much testing with it, but have gotten 3 blue screens in a row. The screen goes all crazy and looks like it stretches out everything, then it goes to a quick blue screen and restarts.

I'm not sure if this stuff means anything to anyone outside of Windows devs, but in hopes that someone can read this, here are the details I get from my computer.

Blue Screen Info
Quote:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: a
BCP1: FFFFFA7FFFFFFF20
BCP2: 0000000000000002
BCP3: 0000000000000001
BCP4: FFFFF80002D02349
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\010311-19203-01.dmp
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-44460-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0...

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Application Error Log
Quote:
Windows cannot access the file C:\Windows\System32\ole32.dll for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation because of this error.

Program: Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation
File: C:\Windows\System32\ole32.dll

The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
User Action
1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
- It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
- It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.

Additional Data
Error value: C0000428
Disk type: 3

Quote:
Faulting application name: AUDIODG.EXE, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bced5
Faulting module name: RPCRT4.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be035
Exception code: 0xc0000006
Fault offset: 0x000000000002b96d
Faulting process id: 0x924
Faulting application start time: 0x01cbab9216166be3
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\AUDIODG.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\RPCRT4.dll
Report Id: 53c2f6c4-1785-11e0-91b5-0025226e390e

System Error Log
Quote:
system:

Microsoft Antimalware Real-Time Protection feature has encountered an error and failed.
Feature: Behavior Monitoring
Error Code: 0x80004005
Error description: Unspecified error
Reason: The filter driver requires an up-to-date engine in order to function. You must install the latest definition updates in order to enable real-time protection.

Does any of this mean anything to anyone, or am I back to being completely in the dark as to what the actual problem is?
m
l
January 6, 2011 9:59:08 PM

I'll stop bumping this, as it appears no one has any more ideas. However, I would just like to report that I did a completely fresh install and reinstalled my Windows 7. Unfortunately, the freezing started happening again a day later.

Hmm...

Anyways, thanks a lot to everyone who has provided ideas so far!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 7, 2011 11:14:28 PM

I still say it's worth getting your hands on another power supply to eliminate that as an issue... but I have a feeling your video card might be causing an issue as well. Might be worth checking into that as well.
m
l
January 25, 2011 11:33:20 AM

Alright...

I contacted ASRock customer support about three weeks ago now. They said that the problems I described sounded like a MOBO problem. I contacted NewEgg and they immediately issued an RMA.

After two weeks without a computer, my new MOBO arrived Friday and I installed everything yesterday after I got some new thermal paste for my CPU (yes, I cleaned the old stuff of first, and yes, the temps after I applied new thermal paste seem good, so I don't believe it is overheating). I booted up into Windows 7 and spent about 2 hours backing up some files on my PC so that I could reinstall Windows 7 (due to the new MOBO).

Immediately after I installed Windows and logged in for the first time, the PC froze yet again. It was running Windows 7 Basic theme, meaning there shouldn't have been any Aero or other intense GUI stuff going on. After a few more freezes and a few hours of installing updates and other essentials, I went to bed running MemTest86+. When I woke up it had completed 8 full passes and was halfway through another pass when I shut it off. No errors reported.

So - have we narrowed it down to either the PSU or the Video Card at this point? I was really hoping it was neither because I don't really have any other PSU I can try, and the only other video card I have is an old HD4850. I would like to point out, however, that this freezing happened more often than not while idle, NOT while playing games. I'm no tech genius, but to me this means that it likely is NOT the video card because it doesn't happen more frequently during stressful activities...

I need guidance!

(Also, I was annoyed by Toms Hardware constantly sending me messages to select a Best Answer, so I figured I'd try here again)
m
l
January 25, 2011 2:03:56 PM

No driver problems were shown in device manager, and I've already downloaded and installed all the drivers from the ASRock website for my MOBO (excluding the RAID driver which is irrelevant).
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2011 2:26:35 PM

Is it the same audio driver? They do put out updates occasionally.
m
l
January 25, 2011 5:58:54 PM

To be honest I'm not sure why you're focusing on the audio driver, but yes, I'm positive it is the same audio driver. I just downloaded and installed it last night, and I didn't see them make any updates to the site this morning :) .
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2011 6:00:42 PM

Because your application errors pointed to an audio issue.
m
l
January 25, 2011 7:30:37 PM

Ah, interesting. Well, please bear in mind that I have since reinstalled Windows 7, replaced my motherboard, and reinstalled Windows 7 again, and I have not gotten those error logs again. Each time I reinstalled Windows 7, I went to the ASRock website and downloaded their audio drivers.
m
l
February 11, 2011 11:31:10 AM

So, time for another update I guess...

After replacing my MOBO didn't fix the problem, I swapped my brother's RAM with mine and that didn't change a thing. His computer still runs great, and my computer still randomly freezes.

After trying the RAM, I went back to my old HD4850 video card, but that froze after a day or so too.

So... am I down to the PSU being broken? I checked the voltages of my PSU during startup, and it seemed like all the voltages were spot on (at least during the time I was testing it) - it seems that software voltage test was way out of line.

*sigh* I don't suppose anyone else has any more ideas, eh?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2011 11:54:54 AM

Failing PSUs can cause all kinds of issues, including freezing.
m
l
February 11, 2011 12:51:00 PM

(Not arguing with you, just asking some questions to understand things better)

But would a PSU cause extremely random freezing? This problem hasn't gotten better or worse over the past couple of months, and the problem does not happen more consistently under load. In fact, I've noticed the problem much, much more during times when the computer is idle (granted, it's probably more frequently idle than under load, but still).

So, given that the problem doesn't happen more consistently during increased load, and it hasn't gotten "worse" over the past two months, is PSU the only thing it could be? What about CPU or something else?

I'm definitely going to be getting my hands on a PSU asap to test, but I would just like some more stuff to test if and when the PSU doesn't fix the problem.

Thank you for your reply, aford10.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2011 1:27:10 PM

If it doesn't constantly provide the right amount of power (load or idle) to the CPU, RAM, and other hardware, it can lock up the system.

The other thing I would suspect, is the RAM (RAM itself and/or settings). But it looks like you've checked that already.
m
l
February 23, 2011 7:38:58 PM

Well, I tested Windows 7 on my other known-good HDD and got the same results. After 8 days of no problems, my PC froze yesterday. Then it froze again today after I got home from work.

And yes, I have tested my RAM considerably. I ran MemTest multiple times (and trust me when I say "multiple"...). Then, I swapped all four of my memory sticks with my brother's four memory sticks (exact same brand, model, everything) and we both remain the same: my PC keeps freezing and his continues to be fine.

I'm still trying to get my hands on a PSU, but that's proving to be very difficult.

Hmm....
m
l
February 24, 2011 1:03:13 PM

Can you boot your PC as simple as you can ? Monitor, keyboard, mouse, HDD, no CD or DVD, ...just the absolute basics and see how things go... unplug everything not in use and if possible disable them in BIOS...anything like serial ports, USB etc...
m
l
February 24, 2011 4:23:05 PM

Hmm, I certainly can try that. I think I will test another PSU first, but this is an interesting idea. I guess my main problem with this is that it completely takes away my ability to use my computer at all, which makes it kind of hard to test. Since the problem is so random, I would have to leave it idle for at least 8 days in order to fully determine if another device is causing these problems.

Still, I can try it. I haven't check my BIOS recently, but I assume that I can turn disable everything in the menus there? Is there any benefit to disabling them in the BIOS rather than simply unplugging them (if they are USB devices that is)?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2011 4:27:00 PM

parkcarshere said:
Is there any benefit to disabling them in the BIOS rather than simply unplugging them (if they are USB devices that is)?

No, not really.
m
l
February 26, 2011 5:10:48 PM

Alright, so I replaced my PSU with a known good one from a friend, and my PC still froze after a couple of days.

Unless I'm missing something, the ONLY thing I have yet to replace is my CPU...

I'm really hoping someone can shed some light on this issue :( .
m
l
March 1, 2011 12:08:19 PM

Hey
I'm having the exact same problems, but for me its relatively regular. When I run both my CPU SMP and my GPU versions of Folding@home it freezes.
My brand new system (built beginning of February):

Mobo: 870 Extreme3 (same as yours)
CPU: Athlon x3 455 (3.3Ghz - stock)
Ram: Kingston Value Ram 1333 2x2GB low profile
GPU: Sapphire 6950
PSU: XFX Pro Core Edition 850W
HDD: WD Green 1TB
Case: CM Elite 370

Ram is at standard clock, slightly raised voltage of 1.56 because there is no option for the standard 1.5V in bios. I unlocked 6950's shaders recently - it used to freeze up before that too. Whether I add more voltage or keep it at stock makes no difference, clocks are completely stock @ 800/1250. CPU is at 1.4V which is standard, TIM is AS5, stock heatsink till I get a Hyper 212+ though. PSU is excellent, 100% confirmed working, got it to be future proofed for bulldozer and another 6950 or maybe even a 6990...

CPU idles at 32C, Load at max 52C
GPU with auto fan control idles at 42C max at 69C. However when I game or fold, I set fan speed to 42% (highest bearable volume) then it idles @ 31C (lower than CPU !!!) and load is @~65C.

Interesting though is the AUX reading in speedfan. When the system is idling (supfing net, music, movies etc.) temp hovers around 98C. While when the GPU is at 100% load (Furmark for instance), AUx goes to ~78C... 0.o?

Anyway its bearable now, as long as I dont fold at 100% with CPU and GPU, while ding other stuff in the background, its ok. But I'd like to have an answer to this too.

EDIT: found this guy with a weird problem related to AUX temp and audio as earlier in this thread with the same mobo:
m
l
March 2, 2011 9:40:09 AM

So your problem happens when you max out your GPU and CPU for a long time, right? That may not be exactly the same issue as me, simply because you can reproduce your problem! I read in a lot of threads that the AUX temperatures didn't really mean much if they were as random as mine (and yours) seem to be. It's most likely that our MOBO simply doesn't have a sensor for that temperature, so SpeedFan can not really get an accurate temperature. All I know is that if my case temperature was over 100C, I'd probably have found out by now!

So, on to more fun stuff on my end.

I really don't think it's a software issue. In fact, I just installed Windows XP 32-bit (instead of Windows 7 64-bit which I have been using), with entirely different drivers, and it still froze a couple of days later. I only installed a few programs, and it never crashed while running those. Besides Windows XP, I had RIFT, Xfire, League of Legends, FixBCD, and Google Chrome installed... that's it. And in the end, it crashed while opening up Google Chrome, one of the easiest operations I ask it to do .

So to recap: I've installed two different OS's, tried another PSU, swapped ALL of my RAM with my brothers, got an RMA on my MOBO, tried another graphics card (it was also ATI though, but with a different driver), and tried two hard drives.

At this point, the only hardware I can possibly think that it could be would be CPU, or maybe even still the MOBO.

However, I will start to try different RAM voltages now (namely 1.477 instead of 1.54), although like I said, I set my brother's RAM up in the exact same way as mine currently is (he has the same RAM and MOBO), and his is still fine. It will probably take me a week or so before it freezes using different RAM timings and voltages, but if anyone has any more suggestions, I'm still listening..!

Thank you so much for anyone willing to look at this unsolvable problem!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 3, 2011 12:36:28 AM

Probably a bad chipset, replace the motherboard. Think Gigabyte or Intel. Let the thing run for a while before you try to change the settings of the memory, etc...just try the new motherboard with the stock default settings.
stop playing around with all the settings, it should run without doing that, playing around with the voltages, etc....
m
l
March 3, 2011 9:01:18 PM

So you think the motherboard is the only thing it could be at this point? I'm thinking it could be my motherboard too, but I already had it RMA'd which kind of makes me think I'm missing something.

I certainly wouldn't just give up on this mobo and buy an entirely new one - I don't really feel like just giving up the $70 I already spent on the mobo. The MOBO appears to be compatible with everything, because everything worked out of the box on my brother's PC with no BIOS changes.
m
l
March 6, 2011 4:36:20 AM

Man, am I glad I found this thread. This seems to be one of the few threads on the internet that has a similar issue to what I'm facing with Windows 7.

The ONLY difference I can think of is that mine never freezes during BIOS boot time, only after it has reached Windows. So, it can be at the login screen, running a graphics/CPU intensive game, watching a video, surfing, or when it is idling. The USB mouse powers off, there is a bit of noise thats repeated and a hard bootdown is required. I've had this problem for close to an year I think, and to date I have changed RAM, hard disks, power supplies and I am a few hours away from testing a new graphics card. I have not changed the mobo simply because its relatively new (although not under warranty anymore). I've dusted, cleaned the internals, done memory and stress tests, update drivers and firmware for every conceivable peripherial connected, disabled everything I could, the works. I cannot replicate this issue on my own and I am absolutely clueless at this point!

parkcarshere, please let me know what happens!
m
l
March 8, 2011 1:34:15 AM

Will do, but I don't expect a resolution anytime soon :p .

I actually haven't had freezes in the BIOS except for that one time, but I'm not really sure that's relevant. Since the problem is so random, it's hard to pinpoint the issue.

isuruhg, do you have similar hardware to me, or are you just having a similar problem?
m
l
March 8, 2011 5:19:51 PM

Different hardware, same problem. BUT...

I might have solved my problem by running without a very special RAM stick that for some reason did not show an error on memtest. It's been 20+ hours without a crash and thats something. I'll keep monitoring.

Just some stuff I found while scouring the net for days, which might be helpful to you:

- What sort of USB mouse do you have? I know Razer is known to cause a lot of issues on Win7 if not updated properly.
- Try disabling C1E and EIST
- Update your onboard network drivers (this tends to get missed alot)
m
l
March 8, 2011 9:24:55 PM

I am using a Razer mouse... however, my PC also froze in Windows XP. Not to mention I download the latest drivers each time.

C1E and EIST might be worth a try, I haven't done that.

And finally, my network drivers are definitely the most up-to-date, as provided by ASRock.

Lately my freezing has only occurred once a week for the past couple of weeks, so I'm kind of just living with it for now. Still, at least I have something new to try :) .
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 9, 2011 4:07:28 AM

Don't rely on ASRock's drivers... go right to the chip vendor.
m
l
April 2, 2011 4:32:22 PM

Alright, so I have received my 3rd motherboard (2nd warranty replacement), and after a week of magic, the PC once again shattered my hopes and dreams and froze on me. Same problem that I've been having since December.

I did recently download an updated NIC driver today (after the freezing), as suggested by the above two posters, from http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Lan.... Everything seemed to install fine, and the driver is about a year newer than the one ASRock provides. However, I don't have much hope that this will fix the issue, because my brother is using all drivers from ASRock and has none of these issues.

So, I literally have no semblance of an idea of what this problem is. Is it my CPU? It's the only part I haven't swapped out...

This is probably the most annoying problem I've ever dealt with.

Edit: As an update, I ran Prime95 for 1 hour and there were no crashes. CPU temp maxed at 58C.
Hmm....

Edit 2: Nope, new network drivers definitely didn't fix the problem....
m
l
April 2, 2011 8:19:51 PM

I did a "Burn-in" Stability Test using a program called SiSoftware Sandra that I saw recommended on another forum. Here are the results, if they mean anything to anyone:
Quote:
Board Temperature: 30.00°C (30.00°C : 30.00°C - 30.00°C)
CPU 1 Temperature: 41.38°C (41.38°C : 41.38°C - 41.38°C)
CPU 2/Aux Temperature: 55.50°C (55.50°C : 55.50°C - 55.50°C)
CPU 1 Fan: 29348rpm (29348rpm : 29348rpm - 29348rpm)
CPU 1 DC Line: 1.35V (1.35V : 1.35V - 1.35V)
CPU 2/Aux DC Line: 3.00V (3.00V : 3.00V - 3.00V)
+3.3V DC Line: 3.40V (3.40V : 3.40V - 3.40V)
+5V DC Line: 2.12V (2.12V : 2.12V - 2.12V)
+12V DC Line: 13.18V (13.18V : 13.18V - 13.18V)
Standby DC Line: 3.49V (3.49V : 3.49V - 3.49V)
Battery DC Line: 3.40V (3.40V : 3.40V - 3.40V)
CPU 1 Core Power: 185.32W (185.32W : 185.32W - 185.32W)
CPU 1 Cooling System Thermal R:0.06°C/W (0.06°C/W : 0.06°C/W - 0.06°C/W)
GPU 1 Temperature: 41.00°C (41.00°C : 41.00°C - 41.00°C)
GPU 1 Fan: 3382rpm (3382rpm : 3382rpm - 3382rpm)

Quote:
Board Temperature: 30.00°C (30.00°C : 30.00°C - 30.00°C)
CPU 1 Temperature: 35.50°C (38.44°C : 35.50°C - 41.38°C)
CPU 2/Aux Temperature: 99.50°C (77.50°C : 55.50°C - 99.50°C)
CPU 1 Fan: 28723rpm (29035rpm : 28723rpm - 29348rpm)
CPU 1 DC Line: 1.15V (1.25V : 1.15V - 1.35V)
CPU 2/Aux DC Line: 3.00V (3.00V : 3.00V - 3.00V)
+3.3V DC Line: 3.41V (3.40V : 3.40V - 3.41V)
+5V DC Line: 0.81V (1.47V : 0.81V - 2.12V)
+12V DC Line: 13.18V (13.18V : 13.18V - 13.18V)
Standby DC Line: 3.49V (3.49V : 3.49V - 3.49V)
Battery DC Line: 3.41V (3.40V : 3.40V - 3.41V)
CPU 1 Core Power: 134.63W (159.97W : 134.63W - 185.32W)
CPU 1 Cooling System Thermal R:0.04°C/W (0.05°C/W : 0.04°C/W - 0.06°C/W)
GPU 1 Temperature: 41.00°C (41.00°C : 41.00°C - 41.00°C)
GPU 1 Fan: 1196rpm (2289rpm : 1196rpm - 3382rpm)

There were no errors (besides one saying I had no DVD in my DVD drive, which was true, and another which said my two hard drives weren't empty, which is also true!).

I did bold the part that concerns me, which is that AUX temperature again. IT seems very hot, showing at 99.5C? SpeedFan also indicates this temperature fluxuates often, going from 40C - 100+C.
m
l
April 5, 2011 4:31:08 PM

Just throwing something up on the wall and hoping it sticks....Can you reduce the speed that your ram runs at i.e. from 1600 to 1333? Seems to me the memory controller is on the CPU.
m
l
April 5, 2011 5:42:10 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried different memory speeds, including 1600, 1333, and Auto. All settings lead to the same problem, even after adjusting memory timings :( .
m
l
April 17, 2011 1:39:21 PM

Yet another update, although I think everyone is out of ideas.

I swapped my CPU with my brother's two weeks ago, and I've had three random freezes during that time, while he has continued to have no problems.
m
l
April 17, 2011 3:16:43 PM

I feel for you.

I would still recommend you try going for a while without your Razer mouse, use an alternative for a while.

I fixed my freezing problem by messing around with RAM speeds. Turns out my memory controller couldn't really manage 4 RAM sticks at once at full speed.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 24, 2011 2:05:17 PM

I am not out of ideas, change the motherboard. Should have bought Gigabyte.
Apparently, until you get a good motherboard, you will continue to have problems.

Also, don't change any of the timing settings on the new board.
m
l
May 4, 2011 12:35:32 PM

parkcarshere said:
Yet another update, although I think everyone is out of ideas.

I swapped my CPU with my brother's two weeks ago, and I've had three random freezes during that time, while he has continued to have no problems.

Hi there Carsparkhere :hello: 

I stumbled onto this thread by accident and was amazed at how similar your random freezing issue is compared to mine. :o  :o 

Ok your kit is different but the problem, the suggested solutions and outcomes effectively mirror where I currently sit :fou:  :o 

In a twisted way it was a relief to find out that I'm not alone with one of the most frustrating problems I have ever come across :(  :pfff: 

I too have ran Memtest and Burnin Test with no errors being found. I am currently messing about with voltages and timings which, given the nature of the problem, takes some time to establish if this cures the problem or not.

Bad RAM, PSU and motherboards have all been suggested.

If bad RAM why did it pass so many different tests ?
If bad PSU or motherboard why not a more frequent problem?? Only the other day the rig "Froze" on the Windows 7 "Welcome" screen only to be rebooted and then used for 9 hours for gaming, stress testing, internet surfing and sitting idle with no freeze?????? Again used last night for 2 hours no problem.

The problem has even happened during safe mode albeit just the once!

I dont want to go to the cost of replacing hardward with expensive components when I dont even know if they are faulty in the first place. Fortunately I can get my hands on a friends spare HDD and PSU although it's only 500W but in order to hot swap RAM I will have to purchase that myself.

Please let me know where you are in this nigh impossible trace and fix problem.

If you want any more info from me, rig specifications, other fixes I've tried that might work for you (but didn't for me :fou:  ) please dont hesitate to ask.

Looking forward to your reply.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 4, 2011 4:26:03 PM

Have you guys updated your BIOS?
m
l
May 5, 2011 7:49:17 AM

Hi aford10

A good shout but I have already updated the BIOS (twice)

In actual fact I thought I had solved the problem by doing just that. The rig ran for about 6 weeks, which by my usage equates to approx 50 hours without any freezing and I was just about to celebrate and ...................... it froze. :(  :ouch:  :fou:  :cry: 

Thanks for your reply though.

Anyone one else able to suggest/advise/help ?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2011 7:55:05 PM

Silly wabbits. If you would have invested in another manufacturer motherboard, this would not be an issue.
m
l
May 8, 2011 12:45:03 PM

Thanks

I really needed to read that.

Given your advise I take it you would just go out and buy another board. Any useful suggestions.....................

m
l
May 8, 2011 12:46:28 PM

soundguruman said:
Silly wabbits. If you would have invested in another manufacturer motherboard, this would not be an issue.

m
l
May 8, 2011 12:52:06 PM

Thanks - really needed to read that (again)

Any usefull suggestions to what we can try with the existing board?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 9, 2011 12:00:08 PM

Its funny that people have the time to do something over and over, but never have the time to do it right.
m
l
May 9, 2011 1:03:26 PM

soundguruman said:
Its funny that people have the time to do something over and over, but never have the time to do it right.

Ok were getting nowhere with this.

I don't want to sound disrespectful but taking away the fact that I'm a "Silly Wabbit" and "Have time to do something over and over again but never have the time to do it right" your reply wasn't entirely constructive or helpful. Help and advise were the reasons I turned to this forum.

I readily admit to being a "Noob" Admitting that is not a problem. I also admit to posting, effectively, the same message twice. If that has caused offence I appologise - it was not my intention.

However given the time I have had this problem only be told to buy another board irks just a little. If indeed the problem lies with the motherboard fine. Could you suggest why thats the case? Could you ellaborate on why the problem is so radom, why the rig can run for hours no problem then the next day freeze on the "Welcome" screen.

The last thing I want to do is go out and buy a Gigabyte board only to not solve the problem as Carsparkhere has done. That money just isn't lying around.

If there is something I can change with the BIOS settings, for example, I would like to try that. If I can try altering another setting something else before buying new kit it makes logical and financial sense.

Should the problem be down to the motherboard I will save up and replace it as you suggest - simple.

However in your experience which Gigabyte board would you suggest and why?
Would you suggest another board instead of Gigabyte?
What key features should I look for bearing in mind that this a gaming rig?

As mentioned this is new to me so any pointers are welcome.

If necessary I can supply a breakdown of my rig.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

m
l
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!