New build - System Instability

parkcarshere

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Problem
I built my new PC a couple of weeks ago, with mostly new parts (kept my PSU and HDD). My PC keeps on completely freezing (no audio, can't move the mouse), forcing me to force shutdown and turn it back on again. Sometimes after turning it off it works fine, other times it freezes again at any point during startup (once during BIOS, sometimes during Windows setup, and sometimes minutes after it is fully started). The problem is, this freezing happens randomly. So far it's occurred while the system was idle, while watching a Youtube video, and while opening Google Chrome. What is weird is how it rarely happens during gaming. I played 6 hours straight of Bad Company 2 on max settings with no problems. I've also played about 10 hours of The Witcher this week and have only had it freeze once. Sometimes the PC will freeze multiple times in a day, and sometimes it will only freeze a few times a week.

What I've Tried
I've run MemTest 86 and MemTest86+ when I initally bought the computer, and it found no problems. I ran these tests again two days ago and it still found no problems. I also ran a couple of stress tests (using Prime96) and the PC never crashed when it was under full load. When I use Speedfan, my System is normally 29C, my CPU is 36C, my video card is 40C, and the "Core" is 35C. The ONLY thing it has a problem with is something called "AUX" which changes from anywhere between 40C and 130C. I read on the internet that it shouldn't matter, but... that's what it is.

I've also checked the error logs, and so far I can't really find anything that corresponds to the times that is freezing. I've ALSO ran my computer with all the startup items turned off, but it also froze that way too.

Parts

Video Card: GIGABYTE Ultra Durable VGA Series Radeon HD 6850 1GB

Motherboard: ASRock Extreme3 870

RAM: G.Skill 4gb 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (Four 2gb sticks for 8gb total)

PSU: CORSAIR 750W (I've had this part for over 6 months now, so this wasn't a "new" part for this build)

HDD: WD Caviar Black HDD (I've had this part for over 6 months now, so this wasn't a "new" part for this build)

Shouldn't matter, but to be comprehensive...
-DVD Burner
-Cooler Master CM690 Case

I'm really, really confused on what could be the issue, or how to single out the part. I've messed with RAM timings, and GSkill says they should be set to 9-9-9-24-2N with a voltage of 1.5. I've done that in the MOBO, with the exception of "2N" which I don't really understand.

At the recommendation of someone else, I've started running my PC with only one stick of RAM at a time. I just tried the first stick yesterday in the first slot, and it froze at the very end of the day (after I had already played the Witcher and watched a movie on it). I'm now trying the second RAM stick in the second slot, but I'm really not hopeful.

It was suggested to me that I run MemTest with one stick in it at a time (which I haven't done yet). Is that really necessary? I was under the impression that MemTest simply found errors on all the sticks, if there were any.

Finally, as just a side note, I built my brother a PC very similar to mine (everything except the case and the HDD are the same) and he has had no problems with his yet, telling me that everything is physically compatible and that the memory timings must be right...

Sorry for the long post! Any ideas anyone?

UPDATE: After reading on another post here about CPU-Z, I downloaded it to check my timings. It says DRAM Frequency 801.6 MHz, FSB: DRAM 1:4, CL 9, tRCD 9, tRP 9, tRAS 24, tRC 40, CR 2T.

To me, that looks like the "9-9-9-24" part is right, but the CR 2T should be 2N, correct? I went through my BIOS but didn't really see a way to change the command rate. I could be missing something though. Is this a problem?

parkcarshere

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Okay... do you think the PSU is more likely than the Memory, or should I continue my "using 1 stick at a time" testing before trying a new PSU?

Like I said, I've run many MemTest cycles with all 4 sticks in and it reported no problems, but I've heard that I may need to run it with 1 stick at a time to get valid results.

Hmmm.....did you wipe the HD clean and install Windows fresh for this rebuild ?

What does Event Viewer say after rebooting ?

If the RAM runs fine w/ all sticks installed, no need to run them one at a time.

Run OCCT and check the voltage / temp graphs for any anomalies.

parkcarshere

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Yes - I did a clean install of Windows 7 when I upgraded my hardware.

After the PC shuts down and restarts, event viewer has no event log errors (besides the Kernel Power errors which simply state that the PC was shutdown unexpectedly). The ONLY consistent application error I get is something from SideBySide which is this:
"Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Designer 8.2\FormDesigner.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7600.16661_none_fa62ad231704eab7.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7600.16661_none_420fe3fa2b8113bd.manifest."

However, I read that this was a fairly common problem, relating to an Adobe issue, that shouldn't be causing any problems to my PC.

I'm running OCCT right now... I've never used this before, but I assume I just let it run for its 1 hour test and then check the graphs it generates at the end? What exactly am I looking for as far as Voltage anomalies?

parkcarshere

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Here are the results from a 1 hour OCCT scan.

CPU: Temps maxed at 56C while under 100% load for an hour. Temps average 55C.

VCore: This seemed about right, although I'm pretty sure I don't know what I was looking for. VCore stayed solid just above 1.35V when CPU was under load.

3.3V: This stayed at just above 3.4V, but below 3.42V.

5V: This stayed at just below 5.2V (but above 5.15V).

12V: This stayed at 13.2V

If necessary, I can post the pictures so anyone can see what they look like. Just would have to find a place to upload them.

The test says that it found no errors...

parkcarshere

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
So, after a nearly flawless weekend with my PC, I've started to run into problems with it again since I came home from work tonight. This time, I at least have some blue screens and error logs to report. Hopefully someone can translate these into a specific problem...

Instead of simply freezing, which it hasn't done in three days now, my PC is now crashing and being generally unstable. I haven't done much testing with it, but have gotten 3 blue screens in a row. The screen goes all crazy and looks like it stretches out everything, then it goes to a quick blue screen and restarts.

I'm not sure if this stuff means anything to anyone outside of Windows devs, but in hopes that someone can read this, here are the details I get from my computer.

Blue Screen Info
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: a
BCP1: FFFFFA7FFFFFFF20
BCP2: 0000000000000002
BCP3: 0000000000000001
BCP4: FFFFF80002D02349
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\010311-19203-01.dmp
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-44460-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Application Error Log
Windows cannot access the file C:\Windows\System32\ole32.dll for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation because of this error.

Program: Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation
File: C:\Windows\System32\ole32.dll

The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
User Action
1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
- It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
- It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.

Additional Data
Error value: C0000428
Disk type: 3

Faulting application name: AUDIODG.EXE, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bced5
Faulting module name: RPCRT4.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be035
Exception code: 0xc0000006
Fault offset: 0x000000000002b96d
Faulting process id: 0x924
Faulting application start time: 0x01cbab9216166be3
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\AUDIODG.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\RPCRT4.dll
Report Id: 53c2f6c4-1785-11e0-91b5-0025226e390e

System Error Log
system:

Microsoft Antimalware Real-Time Protection feature has encountered an error and failed.
Feature: Behavior Monitoring
Error Code: 0x80004005
Error description: Unspecified error
Reason: The filter driver requires an up-to-date engine in order to function. You must install the latest definition updates in order to enable real-time protection.

Does any of this mean anything to anyone, or am I back to being completely in the dark as to what the actual problem is?

parkcarshere

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
I'll stop bumping this, as it appears no one has any more ideas. However, I would just like to report that I did a completely fresh install and reinstalled my Windows 7. Unfortunately, the freezing started happening again a day later.

Hmm...

Anyways, thanks a lot to everyone who has provided ideas so far!

parkcarshere

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Alright...

I contacted ASRock customer support about three weeks ago now. They said that the problems I described sounded like a MOBO problem. I contacted NewEgg and they immediately issued an RMA.

After two weeks without a computer, my new MOBO arrived Friday and I installed everything yesterday after I got some new thermal paste for my CPU (yes, I cleaned the old stuff of first, and yes, the temps after I applied new thermal paste seem good, so I don't believe it is overheating). I booted up into Windows 7 and spent about 2 hours backing up some files on my PC so that I could reinstall Windows 7 (due to the new MOBO).

Immediately after I installed Windows and logged in for the first time, the PC froze yet again. It was running Windows 7 Basic theme, meaning there shouldn't have been any Aero or other intense GUI stuff going on. After a few more freezes and a few hours of installing updates and other essentials, I went to bed running MemTest86+. When I woke up it had completed 8 full passes and was halfway through another pass when I shut it off. No errors reported.

So - have we narrowed it down to either the PSU or the Video Card at this point? I was really hoping it was neither because I don't really have any other PSU I can try, and the only other video card I have is an old HD4850. I would like to point out, however, that this freezing happened more often than not while idle, NOT while playing games. I'm no tech genius, but to me this means that it likely is NOT the video card because it doesn't happen more frequently during stressful activities...

I need guidance!

(Also, I was annoyed by Toms Hardware constantly sending me messages to select a Best Answer, so I figured I'd try here again)

parkcarshere

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
No driver problems were shown in device manager, and I've already downloaded and installed all the drivers from the ASRock website for my MOBO (excluding the RAID driver which is irrelevant).

parkcarshere

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
To be honest I'm not sure why you're focusing on the audio driver, but yes, I'm positive it is the same audio driver. I just downloaded and installed it last night, and I didn't see them make any updates to the site this morning :).

parkcarshere

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Ah, interesting. Well, please bear in mind that I have since reinstalled Windows 7, replaced my motherboard, and reinstalled Windows 7 again, and I have not gotten those error logs again. Each time I reinstalled Windows 7, I went to the ASRock website and downloaded their audio drivers.

parkcarshere

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
So, time for another update I guess...

After replacing my MOBO didn't fix the problem, I swapped my brother's RAM with mine and that didn't change a thing. His computer still runs great, and my computer still randomly freezes.

After trying the RAM, I went back to my old HD4850 video card, but that froze after a day or so too.

So... am I down to the PSU being broken? I checked the voltages of my PSU during startup, and it seemed like all the voltages were spot on (at least during the time I was testing it) - it seems that software voltage test was way out of line.

*sigh* I don't suppose anyone else has any more ideas, eh?

parkcarshere

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
(Not arguing with you, just asking some questions to understand things better)

But would a PSU cause extremely random freezing? This problem hasn't gotten better or worse over the past couple of months, and the problem does not happen more consistently under load. In fact, I've noticed the problem much, much more during times when the computer is idle (granted, it's probably more frequently idle than under load, but still).

So, given that the problem doesn't happen more consistently during increased load, and it hasn't gotten "worse" over the past two months, is PSU the only thing it could be? What about CPU or something else?

I'm definitely going to be getting my hands on a PSU asap to test, but I would just like some more stuff to test if and when the PSU doesn't fix the problem.

Thank you for your reply, aford10.

If it doesn't constantly provide the right amount of power (load or idle) to the CPU, RAM, and other hardware, it can lock up the system.

The other thing I would suspect, is the RAM (RAM itself and/or settings). But it looks like you've checked that already.

parkcarshere

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Well, I tested Windows 7 on my other known-good HDD and got the same results. After 8 days of no problems, my PC froze yesterday. Then it froze again today after I got home from work.

And yes, I have tested my RAM considerably. I ran MemTest multiple times (and trust me when I say "multiple"...). Then, I swapped all four of my memory sticks with my brother's four memory sticks (exact same brand, model, everything) and we both remain the same: my PC keeps freezing and his continues to be fine.

I'm still trying to get my hands on a PSU, but that's proving to be very difficult.

Hmm....

noble

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Can you boot your PC as simple as you can ? Monitor, keyboard, mouse, HDD, no CD or DVD, ...just the absolute basics and see how things go... unplug everything not in use and if possible disable them in BIOS...anything like serial ports, USB etc...

parkcarshere

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Hmm, I certainly can try that. I think I will test another PSU first, but this is an interesting idea. I guess my main problem with this is that it completely takes away my ability to use my computer at all, which makes it kind of hard to test. Since the problem is so random, I would have to leave it idle for at least 8 days in order to fully determine if another device is causing these problems.

Still, I can try it. I haven't check my BIOS recently, but I assume that I can turn disable everything in the menus there? Is there any benefit to disabling them in the BIOS rather than simply unplugging them (if they are USB devices that is)?

parkcarshere

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Alright, so I replaced my PSU with a known good one from a friend, and my PC still froze after a couple of days.

Unless I'm missing something, the ONLY thing I have yet to replace is my CPU...

I'm really hoping someone can shed some light on this issue :(.