NTSC to PAL DVD

Here's an interesting situation, and while I'm pretty sure it's most
possible, I wanted to double check. Here's the situation:

We have three foreign exchange students (Slovakia,Spain & Germany) we
thought, "Wow hey! We should take home video so they could post to the 'net
or send home via DVD (in case one family or other did not have high speed
access). So I'm busy searching out hardware and software. (which is not big
issue really)

Here's what I want to double check....

*After I create the video from shot on an NTSC camera, I can save as DV-AVI
PAL?
*And said DV-AVI PAL file can be used to create a PAL DVD?
*Does the DVD authoring software recognize it's a PAL file or do you have to
tell it to encode to PAL DVD again? (or something I should double check
anyway to be sure?)

And well lastly,

*Which DVD authoring software is best?

Living in an NTSC world (U.S.), using WindowsXP Pro SP2, Sony MiniDV digital
camcorders with iLink Firewire, and external firewire DVD +/- RW drive.
3 answers Last reply
More about ntsc

    See below

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "Hillboy8" <Hillboy8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Here's an interesting situation, and while I'm pretty sure it's most
    > possible, I wanted to double check. Here's the situation:
    >
    > We have three foreign exchange students (Slovakia,Spain & Germany) we
    > thought, "Wow hey! We should take home video so they could post to the
    > 'net
    > or send home via DVD (in case one family or other did not have high speed
    > access). So I'm busy searching out hardware and software. (which is not
    > big
    > issue really)
    >
    > Here's what I want to double check....
    >
    > *After I create the video from shot on an NTSC camera, I can save as
    > DV-AVI
    > PAL?

    No

    > *And said DV-AVI PAL file can be used to create a PAL DVD?

    No

    > *Does the DVD authoring software recognize it's a PAL file or do you have
    > tell it to encode to PAL DVD again? (or something I should double check
    > anyway to be sure?)

    No
    You need a standards convertor, such as canopus procoder to change the ntsc
    to pal, as it's not just frame rate that's different.

    > And well lastly,
    >
    > *Which DVD authoring software is best?

    Depends on how much money you want to spend :) I use Ulead dvd workshop2,
    which is very good, you may find others that fit your needs cheaper,
    nero/roxio both make reasonable ones, Ulead do an all in one
    capture/edit/author app in Videostudio9.

    > Living in an NTSC world (U.S.), using WindowsXP Pro SP2, Sony MiniDV
    > digital
    > camcorders with iLink Firewire, and external firewire DVD +/- RW drive.

    Actually those folks who live in a PAL world have certain advantages over us
    NTSC folks... the main one being that nearly all DVD players in Europe can
    happily cope with an NTSC DVD and correctly (or near enough) convert it to
    PAL all without us doing anything over here.

    I used to take VHS tapes back to the UK all the time when I still lived
    there. Been in the US for 12 years now.... and playing my old PAL stuff
    over here is pretty difficult. But no one in the UK has ever had any
    problems with stuff I've mailed back there.

    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Hillboy8" <Hillboy8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Here's an interesting situation, and while I'm pretty sure it's most
    > possible, I wanted to double check. Here's the situation:
    >
    > We have three foreign exchange students (Slovakia,Spain & Germany) we
    > thought, "Wow hey! We should take home video so they could post to the
    > 'net
    > or send home via DVD (in case one family or other did not have high speed
    > access). So I'm busy searching out hardware and software. (which is not
    > big
    > issue really)
    >
    > Here's what I want to double check....
    >
    > *After I create the video from shot on an NTSC camera, I can save as
    > DV-AVI
    > PAL?
    > *And said DV-AVI PAL file can be used to create a PAL DVD?
    > *Does the DVD authoring software recognize it's a PAL file or do you have
    > tell it to encode to PAL DVD again? (or something I should double check
    > anyway to be sure?)
    >
    > And well lastly,
    >
    > *Which DVD authoring software is best?
    >
    > Living in an NTSC world (U.S.), using WindowsXP Pro SP2, Sony MiniDV
    > digital
    > camcorders with iLink Firewire, and external firewire DVD +/- RW drive.

    If you have a relativley new tv and video player, or all region dvd player,
    you can play a pseudo ntsc/pal signal through it. Depending on the quality
    you require it may be good enough, but if they have a part in their system
    which won't do this you're scuppered. My tv, works great, when it finally
    dies I'll get a new one, but at present, this one won't play ntsc signals
    properly. When I do PAL to NTSC conversions, if it doesn't play properly on
    this I know it's worked :)

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    > Actually those folks who live in a PAL world have certain advantages over
    > us NTSC folks... the main one being that nearly all DVD players in Europe
    > can happily cope with an NTSC DVD and correctly (or near enough) convert
    > it to PAL all without us doing anything over here.
    >
    > I used to take VHS tapes back to the UK all the time when I still lived
    > there. Been in the US for 12 years now.... and playing my old PAL stuff
    > over here is pretty difficult. But no one in the UK has ever had any
    > problems with stuff I've mailed back there.
    >

    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "Hillboy8" <Hillboy8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Here's an interesting situation, and while I'm pretty sure it's most
    >> possible, I wanted to double check. Here's the situation:
    >>
    >> We have three foreign exchange students (Slovakia,Spain & Germany) we
    >> thought, "Wow hey! We should take home video so they could post to the
    >> 'net
    >> or send home via DVD (in case one family or other did not have high speed
    >> access). So I'm busy searching out hardware and software. (which is not
    >> big
    >> issue really)
    >>
    >> Here's what I want to double check....
    >>
    >> *After I create the video from shot on an NTSC camera, I can save as
    >> DV-AVI
    >> PAL?
    >> *And said DV-AVI PAL file can be used to create a PAL DVD?
    >> *Does the DVD authoring software recognize it's a PAL file or do you have
    >> tell it to encode to PAL DVD again? (or something I should double check
    >> anyway to be sure?)
    >>
    >> And well lastly,
    >>
    >> *Which DVD authoring software is best?
    >>
    >> Living in an NTSC world (U.S.), using WindowsXP Pro SP2, Sony MiniDV
    >> digital
    >> camcorders with iLink Firewire, and external firewire DVD +/- RW drive.

Video DVD Windows XP