Blueyonder Customers Be Happy!

http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyonder/getContent.jspx?
page=bbs_evenfaster

Explains it all. I downgraded to the 1mbit now it's going to 4mbit.
Got to upgrade to the £35 now. 10mbit has to be experienced.

And just when I was beginning to think I was shaking off my geek
tendancies!

/w00t

--
"Now that there is one damn fine coat you're wearing."

www.stri.tk

Stri wrote:
> http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyonder/getContent.jspx?
> page=bbs_evenfaster
>
> Explains it all. I downgraded to the 1mbit now it's going to 4mbit.
> Got to upgrade to the £35 now. 10mbit has to be experienced.
>
> And just when I was beginning to think I was shaking off my geek
> tendancies!

However the upstream is still paltry compared to what some European and
US ISPs seem to offer. :-(

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

Ben Cottrell wrote:
> Stri wrote:
>
>> http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyonder/getContent.jspx?
>> page=bbs_evenfaster
>>
>> Explains it all. I downgraded to the 1mbit now it's going to 4mbit.
>> Got to upgrade to the £35 now. 10mbit has to be experienced.
>>
>> And just when I was beginning to think I was shaking off my geek
>> tendancies!
>

> However the upstream is still paltry compared to what some European and
> US ISPs seem to offer. :-(

How did you find out what the upstream is? (And what is it?)

Civilian_Target

Civilian_Target proclaimed...

> How did you find out what the upstream is? (And what is it?)

It tells you on that site.

--

Civilian_Target wrote:
> Ben Cottrell wrote:
>
>> Stri wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyonder/getContent.jspx?
>>> page=bbs_evenfaster
>>>
>>> Explains it all. I downgraded to the 1mbit now it's going to 4mbit.
>>> Got to upgrade to the £35 now. 10mbit has to be experienced.
>>>
>>> And just when I was beginning to think I was shaking off my geek
>>> tendancies!
>>

>> However the upstream is still paltry compared to what some European
>> and US ISPs seem to offer. :-(
>>
> How did you find out what the upstream is? (And what is it?)

As Stri said, it tells you on the site :) it's 384k... which seems to
be roughly the highest you can get from any UK ISP at the moment (I
believe Bulldog advertise their 4M & 8M connections as having "up to
400k" upstream)

while i've not really looked at US and Euro ISPs, i seem to recall
hearing that some do offer upstream up to 768k or even 1M

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

jethro

Distinguished
May 5, 2004

Ben Cottrell wrote:
> Civilian_Target wrote:
>
>> Ben Cottrell wrote:

>>> However the upstream is still paltry compared to what some European
>>> and US ISPs seem to offer. :-(
>>>
>> How did you find out what the upstream is? (And what is it?)
>

> As Stri said, it tells you on the site :) it's 384k... which seems to
> be roughly the highest you can get from any UK ISP at the moment (I
> believe Bulldog advertise their 4M & 8M connections as having "up to
> 400k" upstream)
>
> while i've not really looked at US and Euro ISPs, i seem to recall
> hearing that some do offer upstream up to 768k or even 1M

My friend who hosts our server has Cogeco cable with 10mb down and 1 MB
upload.
And he does get that when he tests at www.dslreports.com

--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:39:42 +0100, Ben Cottrell
<bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote:

>Civilian_Target wrote:
>> Ben Cottrell wrote:

>>> However the upstream is still paltry compared to what some European
>>> and US ISPs seem to offer. :-(
>>>
>> How did you find out what the upstream is? (And what is it?)
>
>As Stri said, it tells you on the site :) it's 384k... which seems to
>be roughly the highest you can get from any UK ISP at the moment (I
>believe Bulldog advertise their 4M & 8M connections as having "up to
>400k" upstream)
>
>while i've not really looked at US and Euro ISPs, i seem to recall
>hearing that some do offer upstream up to 768k or even 1M

my isp is doing sdsl at upto 2mbit; adsl is 256kbit all down speeds.
there appears to be some unspoken agreement between isps to keep adsl
up speeds very limited, forcing users who require the bandwidth to pay
for the more expensive service.

dr ratt

----------------------
trust me.
i know what i'm doing.
----------------------

Ben Cottrell proclaimed...

> while i've not really looked at US and Euro ISPs, i seem to recall
> hearing that some do offer upstream up to 768k or even 1M

The Scandinavian countries currently offer some of the best including
Sweden and most notably Finland which is supposed to be a forerunner in
many technologies. Apparently.

--
"Now that there is one damn fine coat you're wearing."

www.stri.tk

doctor.ratt proclaimed...

> my isp is doing sdsl at upto 2mbit; adsl is 256kbit all down speeds.
> there appears to be some unspoken agreement between isps to keep adsl
> up speeds very limited, forcing users who require the bandwidth to pay
> for the more expensive service.

Upload is expensive. The only reason Blueyonder increased the download
is because of the competition from the likes of Bulldog and Plusnet.

I don't care though, I've always liked Blueyonder and I'm very pleased I
now have no excuse to leave them.

--
"Now that there is one damn fine coat you're wearing."

www.stri.tk

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 23:14:51 GMT, Stri
<email.given@thepoint.youasknice> wrote:

>doctor.ratt proclaimed...
>
>> my isp is doing sdsl at upto 2mbit; adsl is 256kbit all down speeds.
>> there appears to be some unspoken agreement between isps to keep adsl
>> up speeds very limited, forcing users who require the bandwidth to pay
>> for the more expensive service.
>
>Upload is expensive. The only reason Blueyonder increased the download
>is because of the competition from the likes of Bulldog and Plusnet.
>
>I don't care though, I've always liked Blueyonder and I'm very pleased I
>now have no excuse to leave them.

i'm certain i read that bulldog was owned by blueyonder.
kick that on top of bulldog's caps vs blueyonder's cap-free service &
there's no competition whatsoever.

drunken jealous ratt

----------------------
trust me.
i know what i'm doing.
----------------------

"Stri" wrote
> Ben Cottrell proclaimed...
>
> The Scandinavian countries currently offer some of the best including
> Sweden and most notably Finland which is supposed to be a forerunner in
> many technologies. Apparently.

TDC (Denmark) has 768k up and 4Mb down for ~ 800Dkr per month (ADSL)
You can also get SHDSL 4Mb which will cost you 2000 Dkr per month

Sweden is rather expensive with ADSL we have an office in Guthenburg which
has been running on ISDN due to high prices on ADSL
We have a leased line today though
Don't know about Finland :)

I am (the company is) paying 370Dkr for 512/512 ADSL with no cap
Usually the speed is above the 512

- Peter

David Firewater proclaimed...

> "Since May 2004 we have been wholly owned
> by Cable & Wireless, one of the world's leading
> providers of voice and data services."

I was under the impression Cable & Wireless and Telewest were two
entirely different companies.

--
"Now that there is one damn fine coat you're wearing."

www.stri.tk

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 05:19:05 GMT, Stri
<email.given@thepoint.youasknice> wrote:

>David Firewater proclaimed...
>
>> "Since May 2004 we have been wholly owned
>> by Cable & Wireless, one of the world's leading
>> providers of voice and data services."
>
>I was under the impression Cable & Wireless and Telewest were two
>entirely different companies.

they are. i erred, i found the article yesterday and cable & wireless
was the company not telewest. i've no idea why i remembered it as
telewest.

dr ratt

----------------------
trust me.
i know what i'm doing.
----------------------

Nick proclaimed...

> Yeah... it's soooo true. How come they're still in "business" (not that they ever behave in a
> business-like fashion)?

Because they have an almost total monopoly on the market and many
deluded customers who think that BT really do care about customer
service.

They don't. I like think I'm one of the few exceptions.

--

Stri wrote:

>>"Since May 2004 we have been wholly owned
>>by Cable & Wireless, one of the world's leading
>>providers of voice and data services."
>

> I was under the impression Cable & Wireless and Telewest were two
> entirely different companies.

I was under the impression that C&W had been bought out by another telco
several years ago. being a former C&W customer who recieved a letter
telling me that my account with them would be transferred to some other
company on some date unless i cancelled it beforehand :-/ maybe it
split off again..

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Stri" <email.given@thepoint.youasknice> wrote in message
> Nick proclaimed...
>
>> Yeah... it's soooo true. How come they're still in "business" (not that they ever behave in a
>> business-like fashion)?
>
> Because they have an almost total monopoly on the market and many
> deluded customers who think that BT really do care about customer
> service.
>
> They don't. I like think I'm one of the few exceptions.

Ah well, as long as the boss gets his weekly payrise/bonus and the shareholders keep getting
returns then screw the staff, screw the customers and screw anyone else that looks funny at them...

Jethro wrote:
> I'm paying twice as much for 1\3 the download capacity because I can't
> get a landline highspeed, only wireless.

I find that really funny, because in Ireland, wireless is cheaper.

Wireless 2Mbit/2Mbit, no download limit = €50pm
RADSL 1Mbit/128kbit, 4Gb/month limit = €60pm (incl. price of compulsory
Eircom landline)

Think about it, wireless should be cheaper, they don't have to pay the
costs of running a wire into your house or upgrading your local
exchange, all they pay is the mast rental fee...

Civilian_Target

Civilian_Target wrote:

>> I'm paying twice as much for 1\3 the download capacity because I can't
>> get a landline highspeed, only wireless.
>

> I find that really funny, because in Ireland, wireless is cheaper.
>
> Wireless 2Mbit/2Mbit, no download limit = €50pm
> RADSL 1Mbit/128kbit, 4Gb/month limit = €60pm (incl. price of compulsory
> Eircom landline)
>
> Think about it, wireless should be cheaper, they don't have to pay the
> costs of running a wire into your house or upgrading your local
> exchange, all they pay is the mast rental fee...

But think about it .. Who is it easier to squeeze the more money from?
the ones with a choice, or the ones without? ;-)

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench