Questions about ac3 and/or Soft Encode

I am currently trying Soft Encode to convert my wav files to ac3 format in
order to use them on a DVD. I'd have a few questions: 1-The dialog
normalization option is set at -27 dB by default. Does this reduce the
sound of the ac3-encoded file as compared to the wav file or does it stay
the same? 2-There is an option which you can check under "Audio production
information" that is titled "Info exists". If I uncheck this box, I'm
having problems opening my ac3 file in certain programs. Also, under the
same tab is a "Mix level" option, which is set at 105 dB SPL by default.
What would the difference be if I change this setting? There is also a
"Room type" setting: should I set it at "Not indicated" if I only want to
convert my wav file? 3-There is a "Dynamic range compression" option, which
is set at "Film: standard" by default, but which I usually uncheck because I
heard this can reduce the sound as compared to the original wav file. There
is also an RF overmodulation protection option, which I believe is better to
check. 4-Do any of the input fitering options (DC high-pass filter,
Bandwidth low-pass filter) reduce the final sound? 5-All of these questions
might be useless if I formulate my last one like this: All I'd like to do is
convert my original wav file in ac3 format. Not remaster it. What I would
like is to convert my wav file so that the ac3 file would be almost exactly
the same, the way it would be if I would convert it to, say, mp2 format
(simply select the bitrate). What settings should I mess up with in order
to preserve the integrity and/or properties of my original wav file? Now I
know this message is a bit long but thanks a lot to anyone who could give me
the least bit of advice!

Ampersand wrote:
> I am currently trying Soft Encode to convert my wav files to ac3
> format in order to use them on a DVD. I'd have a few questions:
> 1-The dialog normalization option is set at -27 dB by default. Does
> this reduce the sound of the ac3-encoded file as compared to the wav
> file or does it stay the same? 2-There is an option which you can
> check under "Audio production information" that is titled "Info
> exists". If I uncheck this box, I'm having problems opening my ac3
> file in certain programs. Also, under the same tab is a "Mix level"
> option, which is set at 105 dB SPL by default. What would the
> difference be if I change this setting? There is also a "Room type"
> setting: should I set it at "Not indicated" if I only want to convert
> my wav file? 3-There is a "Dynamic range compression" option, which
> is set at "Film: standard" by default, but which I usually uncheck
> because I heard this can reduce the sound as compared to the original
> wav file. There is also an RF overmodulation protection option,
> which I believe is better to check. 4-Do any of the input fitering
> options (DC high-pass filter, Bandwidth low-pass filter) reduce the
> final sound? 5-All of these questions might be useless if I
> formulate my last one like this: All I'd like to do is convert my
> original wav file in ac3 format. Not remaster it. What I would like
> is to convert my wav file so that the ac3 file would be almost
> exactly the same, the way it would be if I would convert it to, say,
> mp2 format (simply select the bitrate). What settings should I mess
> up with in order to preserve the integrity and/or properties of my
> original wav file? Now I know this message is a bit long but thanks
> a lot to anyone who could give me the least bit of advice!

There's a thread on the Sony Vegas forum titled "Audio peaks change from
Vegas to DVD-A2?" at
http://tinyurl.com/3jdxd that you should read. It talks about a number of
the same issues you raised and offers several possible solutions as well as
links to various sites with more answers.
And if you really want your brain to explode, check out the guides for doing
this from Dolby at
http://www.dolby.com/professional/Support/tech.overview.html#Metadata

Mike

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Ampersand wrote:
> > I am currently trying Soft Encode to convert my wav files to ac3
> > format in order to use them on a DVD. I'd have a few questions:
> > 1-The dialog normalization option is set at -27 dB by default. Does
> > this reduce the sound of the ac3-encoded file as compared to the wav
> > file or does it stay the same? 2-There is an option which you can
> > check under "Audio production information" that is titled "Info
> > exists". If I uncheck this box, I'm having problems opening my ac3
> > file in certain programs. Also, under the same tab is a "Mix level"
> > option, which is set at 105 dB SPL by default. What would the
> > difference be if I change this setting? There is also a "Room type"
> > setting: should I set it at "Not indicated" if I only want to convert
> > my wav file? 3-There is a "Dynamic range compression" option, which
> > is set at "Film: standard" by default, but which I usually uncheck
> > because I heard this can reduce the sound as compared to the original
> > wav file. There is also an RF overmodulation protection option,
> > which I believe is better to check. 4-Do any of the input fitering
> > options (DC high-pass filter, Bandwidth low-pass filter) reduce the
> > final sound? 5-All of these questions might be useless if I
> > formulate my last one like this: All I'd like to do is convert my
> > original wav file in ac3 format. Not remaster it. What I would like
> > is to convert my wav file so that the ac3 file would be almost
> > exactly the same, the way it would be if I would convert it to, say,
> > mp2 format (simply select the bitrate). What settings should I mess
> > up with in order to preserve the integrity and/or properties of my
> > original wav file? Now I know this message is a bit long but thanks
> > a lot to anyone who could give me the least bit of advice!
>

> There's a thread on the Sony Vegas forum titled "Audio peaks change from
> Vegas to DVD-A2?" at
> http://tinyurl.com/3jdxd that you should read. It talks about a number of
> the same issues you raised and offers several possible solutions as well
as
> links to various sites with more answers.
> And if you really want your brain to explode, check out the guides for
doing
> this from Dolby at
> http://www.dolby.com/professional/Support/tech.overview.html#Metadata
>
> Mike

Thanks! I was able to convert my wav sound directly to an identical
sounding ac3 file simply by setting the dialog normalization at -31 dB and
turning off dynamic range compression. I guess that's the way you should do
it if you want your final ac3 file to sound exactly the same as the original
wav file.

TRENDING THREADS