HELP - recording and playing Video

August 30, 2005 3:20:00 PM

I have a very simple question. So far, I can't solve it myself.

How do I copy video from a Panasonic GS-35 onto my PC and have it play
normally - i.e., no jumpy video, no jumpy sound?

I thought this would be the normal situation, not the one most difficult to
acheive. Of four attempts to date, every one I have copied has been jumpy.

One is even been out of sync, but this was an edited version, so a second
question is:
Is there a trick to editing to keep the audio and video in sync?

I have Panasonic MotionDV STUDIO LE for DV and Ulead DVD MovieFactory 3.5
Suite Deluxe. I also have RAD Video and a trial version of DivX converter if
these are of use.

If I can't solve this, I will go crazy. All I will be able to do is copy the
unedited DV tapes onto VHS. ( I assume this will work as no computing is
needed - just a VHS recorder.)
--
Cheers,
Trevor L.

You don't say how the cam is connected. It needs to be with firewire. Then
follow these tips for trouble free capturing
http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Tutorials/OptimiseMyPcFo...

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in message
>I have a very simple question. So far, I can't solve it myself.
>
> How do I copy video from a Panasonic GS-35 onto my PC and have it play
> normally - i.e., no jumpy video, no jumpy sound?
>
> I thought this would be the normal situation, not the one most difficult
> to acheive. Of four attempts to date, every one I have copied has been
> jumpy.
>
> One is even been out of sync, but this was an edited version, so a second
> question is:
> Is there a trick to editing to keep the audio and video in sync?
>
> I have Panasonic MotionDV STUDIO LE for DV and Ulead DVD MovieFactory 3.5
> Suite Deluxe. I also have RAD Video and a trial version of DivX converter
> if these are of use.
>
> If I can't solve this, I will go crazy. All I will be able to do is copy
> the unedited DV tapes onto VHS. ( I assume this will work as no computing
> is needed - just a VHS recorder.)
> --
> Cheers,
> Trevor L.
> Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au

Anonymous
August 31, 2005 3:27:49 PM

Graham,
I am connecting the camera via USB port and copying the video using
Panasonic MotionDV STUDIO LE for DV .

I have experimented a bit more since my posting and edited a file downloaded
this way. It is still very jerky in the sound. The video seems O.K., still
not quite smooth. I am wondering whether the noise problem occurred when
filming (why I can't think - unless it is severe wind noise!)

I'll look at the tips.

I am also wondering whether the jerkiness goes away when transferred to DVD
(which I think I can do).
And whether changing between these output specifications makes a difference
to the sound:
Files for DVC 12 bit[32kHz 16bit]
Files for DVC 16 bit[48kHz 16bit]

--

Graham Hughes wrote:
> You don't say how the cam is connected. It needs to be with firewire.
> Then follow these tips for trouble free capturing
> http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Tutorials/OptimiseMyPcFo...
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in message
>> I have a very simple question. So far, I can't solve it myself.
>>
>> How do I copy video from a Panasonic GS-35 onto my PC and have it
>> play normally - i.e., no jumpy video, no jumpy sound?
>>
>> I thought this would be the normal situation, not the one most
>> difficult to acheive. Of four attempts to date, every one I have
>> copied has been jumpy.
>>
>> One is even been out of sync, but this was an edited version, so a
>> second question is:
>> Is there a trick to editing to keep the audio and video in sync?
>>
>> I have Panasonic MotionDV STUDIO LE for DV and Ulead DVD
>> MovieFactory 3.5 Suite Deluxe. I also have RAD Video and a trial
>> version of DivX converter if these are of use.
>>
>> If I can't solve this, I will go crazy. All I will be able to do is
>> copy the unedited DV tapes onto VHS. ( I assume this will work as no
>> computing is needed - just a VHS recorder.)
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Trevor L.
>> Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au
September 1, 2005 12:25:59 AM

USB just isn't up to the job of capturing quality video. If you don't have
firewire on the pc, it's cheap to buy a firewire card and cable and easy to
fit. You'll wonder why you messed with usb when you have it.

My recommendation is buy firewire.

If you want to stick with usb, then ensure it is all usb2. Lower the quality
of the file you are capturing, either capture as mpeg or make the physical
size smaller.

--

news:o 1nuuscrFHA.3060@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Graham,
> I am connecting the camera via USB port and copying the video using
> Panasonic MotionDV STUDIO LE for DV .
>
> I have experimented a bit more since my posting and edited a file
> downloaded this way. It is still very jerky in the sound. The video seems
> O.K., still not quite smooth. I am wondering whether the noise problem
> occurred when filming (why I can't think - unless it is severe wind
> noise!)
>
> I'll look at the tips.
>
> I am also wondering whether the jerkiness goes away when transferred to
> DVD (which I think I can do).
> And whether changing between these output specifications makes a
> difference to the sound:
> Files for DVC 12 bit[32kHz 16bit]
> Files for DVC 16 bit[48kHz 16bit]
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Trevor L.
> Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au
>
> Graham Hughes wrote:
>> You don't say how the cam is connected. It needs to be with firewire.
>> Then follow these tips for trouble free capturing
>> http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Tutorials/OptimiseMyPcFo...
>>
>> --
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
>> www.dvds2treasure.com
>> www.simplydv.com
>>

>> "Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in message
>>> I have a very simple question. So far, I can't solve it myself.
>>>
>>> How do I copy video from a Panasonic GS-35 onto my PC and have it
>>> play normally - i.e., no jumpy video, no jumpy sound?
>>>
>>> I thought this would be the normal situation, not the one most
>>> difficult to acheive. Of four attempts to date, every one I have
>>> copied has been jumpy.
>>>
>>> One is even been out of sync, but this was an edited version, so a
>>> second question is:
>>> Is there a trick to editing to keep the audio and video in sync?
>>>
>>> I have Panasonic MotionDV STUDIO LE for DV and Ulead DVD
>>> MovieFactory 3.5 Suite Deluxe. I also have RAD Video and a trial
>>> version of DivX converter if these are of use.
>>>
>>> If I can't solve this, I will go crazy. All I will be able to do is
>>> copy the unedited DV tapes onto VHS. ( I assume this will work as no
>>> computing is needed - just a VHS recorder.)
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Trevor L.
>>> Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 3:28:29 PM

Thanks Graham

I could install a firewire card and card on my PC, but it is getting a bit
old. I have a new (about 12 month's old) Toshiba laptop and it has a USB2
port which I used to download the video. In fact the software supplied by
Panasonic for download insists on USB2.

I am not sure how I would go about puting firewire on the Toshiba or how to
transfer from the Panasonic camera - reading the instructions might help :-)

What do you mean by this:
"Lower the quality of the file you are capturing, either capture as mpeg or
make the physical size smaller." ?
Is this a suggestion or what? If so, to achieve what ? Or do you mean I have
to lower the quality when using USB2?

At the moment, I am using Ulead Movie Factory to create a DVD and it outputs
in MPEG format - still has about 2.5 hours to run as at 11:30 AEST Thursday
1 Sep

I will check this out when it completes.
--

>>> www.dvds2treasure.com
>>> www.simplydv.com
>>>

>>> "Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in message

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 7:30:18 PM

If in the capture settings you can make the file size smaller, by changing
it from 640x480 to 320x240 say as an example, it will be easier to transfer
from the cam to the laptop. This will result in two things, maybe getting
rid of the jerkiness if caused by the laptop not being able to capture at
the same rate as the cam sends the material, but also, as a lower quality
movie, resulting in a poorer movie anyway.

You can buy firewire pcmcia cards, which plug in, if you have pcmcia slots
available, most new laptops do.

As for the pc, I still use my old Athlon 750 mhz, 384mb ram office pc for
capturing if I'm rushed and using the editing pc for other things. What sort
of spec is the pc?

Graham

--

> Thanks Graham
>
> I could install a firewire card and card on my PC, but it is getting a bit
> old. I have a new (about 12 month's old) Toshiba laptop and it has a USB2
> port which I used to download the video. In fact the software supplied by
> Panasonic for download insists on USB2.
>
> I am not sure how I would go about puting firewire on the Toshiba or how
> to transfer from the Panasonic camera - reading the instructions might
> help :-)
>
> What do you mean by this:
> "Lower the quality of the file you are capturing, either capture as mpeg
> or make the physical size smaller." ?
> Is this a suggestion or what? If so, to achieve what ? Or do you mean I
> have to lower the quality when using USB2?
>
> At the moment, I am using Ulead Movie Factory to create a DVD and it
> outputs in MPEG format - still has about 2.5 hours to run as at 11:30 AEST
> Thursday 1 Sep
>
> I will check this out when it completes.
> --
> Cheers,
> Trevor L.
> Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au
>
> Graham Hughes wrote:
>> USB just isn't up to the job of capturing quality video. If you don't
>> have firewire on the pc, it's cheap to buy a firewire card and cable
>> and easy to fit. You'll wonder why you messed with usb when you have
>> it.
>> My recommendation is buy firewire.
>>
>> If you want to stick with usb, then ensure it is all usb2. Lower the
>> quality of the file you are capturing, either capture as mpeg or make
>> the physical size smaller.
>>
>> --
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
>> www.dvds2treasure.com
>> www.simplydv.com
>>

>> "Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in message
>> news:o 1nuuscrFHA.3060@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> Graham,
>>> I am connecting the camera via USB port and copying the video using
>>> Panasonic MotionDV STUDIO LE for DV .
>>>
>>> I have experimented a bit more since my posting and edited a file
>>> downloaded this way. It is still very jerky in the sound. The video
>>> seems O.K., still not quite smooth. I am wondering whether the noise
>>> problem occurred when filming (why I can't think - unless it is
>>> severe wind noise!)
>>>
>>> I'll look at the tips.
>>>
>>> I am also wondering whether the jerkiness goes away when transferred
>>> to DVD (which I think I can do).
>>> And whether changing between these output specifications makes a
>>> difference to the sound:
>>> Files for DVC 12 bit[32kHz 16bit]
>>> Files for DVC 16 bit[48kHz 16bit]
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Trevor L.
>>> Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 5:20:58 PM

Graham,
Thanks for continuing the dialog

Yes, I am fairly sure that the laptop has a PCMIA slot. The laptop (Toshiba
Tecra A2) is a lower grade model, but higher grades had the card (and they
were the same physically) so I am sure the slot is there.

Yes, my PC is slightly higher spec than yours.
Intel Celeron 1100MHz
512 Mb RAM (with an upgrade installed)

So I will continue my quest. The DVD finished writing yesterday - it took
all day and night (about 12 hours). I am almost scared to try it, but I will
shortly. If OK, I can follow the same actions to get a movie that plays
well.
--

>>> www.dvds2treasure.com
>>> www.simplydv.com