Canopus ADVC 100 ... recording television

I have an old VCR, which, of course, has a television tuner in it.

If I know that I want to record what's on channel 2 every night a 8pm,
can I just get a Canopus ADVC 100, hook it up to my old VCR and my
PC, then set the VCR to channel 2, and have some software that will start
up every night and record what is coming out of the VCR via the ADVC
100 ?

I know there may be cheaper solutions than this (Win-TV, et cetera) , but
looking
around it seems the ADVC 100 is among the best quality tools, for image
quality,
and plus I just have my heart set on getting a Canopus ADVC 100. It seems
like a tool that I will be able to grow with, if there are other things I
want to do
later.

But I want to be sure it's what I need to, at least, record television
directly.

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 11:14:28 +0200, "David Mazeau"
<david.mazeau1@REMOVEhotpop.com> wrote:

>I have an old VCR, which, of course, has a television tuner in it.
>
>If I know that I want to record what's on channel 2 every night a 8pm,
>can I just get a Canopus ADVC 100, hook it up to my old VCR and my
>PC, then set the VCR to channel 2, and have some software that will start
>up every night and record what is coming out of the VCR via the ADVC
>100 ?
>
>I know there may be cheaper solutions than this (Win-TV, et cetera) , but
>looking
>around it seems the ADVC 100 is among the best quality tools, for image
>quality,
>and plus I just have my heart set on getting a Canopus ADVC 100. It seems
>like a tool that I will be able to grow with, if there are other things I
>want to do
>later.
>
>But I want to be sure it's what I need to, at least, record television
>directly.

That will work very nicely.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

"David Mazeau" <david.mazeau1@REMOVEhotpop.com> wrote:

>I have an old VCR, which, of course, has a television tuner in it.
>
>If I know that I want to record what's on channel 2 every night a 8pm,
>can I just get a Canopus ADVC 100, hook it up to my old VCR and my
>PC, then set the VCR to channel 2, and have some software that will start
>up every night and record what is coming out of the VCR via the ADVC
>100 ?
>
>I know there may be cheaper solutions than this (Win-TV, et cetera) , but
>looking
>around it seems the ADVC 100 is among the best quality tools, for image
>quality,
>and plus I just have my heart set on getting a Canopus ADVC 100. It seems
>like a tool that I will be able to grow with, if there are other things I
>want to do
>later.
>
>But I want to be sure it's what I need to, at least, record television
>directly.

I've used a ADVC 100 to record TV from a TV tuner with good results.
If you have a good source you'll get good results.

One problem is you'd need to have your computer and VCR recorder on
all the time. There are not many programs that will record from a
firewire card at a certain time each day, most are for TV cards.
I think Ulead Media studio pro allows you to select a time to start
recording and the length to record to.

Regards Brian

While you do need the computer to be on to work, WinDV has a command
line mode which can be set to record for a certain length of time,
then exit. Combine that with a Freeware Task Scheduler, such as the
Freebyte scheduler, and you can have timed record on your PC.

I have my cable box feeding my ADVC100, then use the Freebyte
scheduler as a timer and WinDV for recording. Works similar to a VCR.

Dean

On 26 Jul 2004 12:10:42 -0700, DRichard@wi.rr.com (Dean Richard)
wrote:

>WinDV has a command
>line mode which can be set to record for a certain length of time,
>then exit. Combine that with a Freeware Task Scheduler, such as the
>Freebyte scheduler, and you can have timed record on your PC.

I have an application for this but can't find any info on the command
line options for WinDV. Guessing so far, hasn't worked. Any help
would be appreciated.

Rich M.

Hi,

I'm at work, and I rarely check Usenet from home. Your best bet would
be to go to the WinDV web site http://windv.mourek.cz/ and write the
author. There's not a lot of documentation, but an example is probably
all you'll need.

Dean

Richard M. <junk955@att.net> wrote in message news:<557bg0p9tf8v7mnsudpb1eg0vlr79i1el9@4ax.com>...
> On 26 Jul 2004 12:10:42 -0700, DRichard@wi.rr.com (Dean Richard)
> wrote:
>
> >WinDV has a command
> >line mode which can be set to record for a certain length of time,
> >then exit. Combine that with a Freeware Task Scheduler, such as the
> >Freebyte scheduler, and you can have timed record on your PC.
>
> I have an application for this but can't find any info on the command
> line options for WinDV. Guessing so far, hasn't worked. Any help
> would be appreciated.
>
> Rich M.

I regularly capture TV footage to my PC using a Canopus ADVC-55. The results
have always been very good.
Those Canopus boxes are great - they do exactly what it says on the box . .
.. .

--
Peace !

Steve Wilcox

"If Whisky Don't Kill Me I'll Live 'Til I Die"

stevegwilcox@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk

If you go with just the ADVC-100, then maybe something like WinDVD
Recorder (http://intervideo.com/jsp/WinDVDRecorder_Profile.jsp) will let
you to auto-recording.

Otherwise, any ATI All-In-Wonder card or WinTV card will do this for
<$100 quite quickly and easily with the included Easylook software.

For some of the other TV tuner cards, adding SnapStream
(http://www.snapstream.com/Products/Products_PVS3.asp) will make it act
more like the Easylook/Tivo.

For Linux, the supported TV tuner cards + MYTHTV will do it as well
http://www.mythtv.org/

Hi Rich,

I just posted a reply with this info, but since I sent it to the wrong person
I'll post it again. Here it is...

Petr wrote:

<<<
There is a simple command-line interface suitable for that.

You can run

WinDV.exe capture -exit 0:30:00 C:\Video\xxx

This should capture 30 minutes of video into the files
C:\Video\xxx.*.avi, where * depends on the filenaming and autosplit
settings made before in the GUI interface.

Aditionally, using standard windows task scheduler, you can run this
command at any scheduled time.

Maybe it seems not too user friendly, but it should work.

Petr M.

In article <557bg0p9tf8v7mnsudpb1eg0vlr79i1el9@4ax.com>, junk955@att.net
says...

"Dean Richard" <DRichard@wi.rr.com> wrote

> While you do need the computer to be on to work, WinDV has a command
> line mode which can be set to record for a certain length of time,
> then exit. Combine that with a Freeware Task Scheduler, such as the
> Freebyte scheduler, and you can have timed record on your PC.
>
> I have my cable box feeding my ADVC100, then use the Freebyte
> scheduler as a timer and WinDV for recording. Works similar to a VCR.

Thanks, Dean. That's very helpful info.

Hi David,

I'm home now, and I found the text of the Email Petr sent to me when I asked
for it. I'm sure he won't mind me posting it.

Here is his answer when asked if there is a way to use WinDV to do timed
record:

<<<

In article <ce67oa$7oc$1@news-reader2.wanadoo.fr>,
david.mazeau1@REMOVEhotpop.com says...

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:20:24 GMT, DRichard@wi.rr.com (Dean Richard)
wrote:

WinDV.exe capture -exit 0:30:00 C:\Video\xxx

Thanks.....
Rich M.