WMV HD encoded to DVD looks good!

I've always been disappointed in mini-DV output to DVD. While it looks almost as
good as the original DV video, with probably a little more noise, it doesn't
look anything like real good DVD transfers of Hollywood movies. So I decided to
see if the problem is my cheap DVD decoder which is Ulead Movie Factory3, which
I've always thought did a real good job considering the price.

So I downloaded some WMV HD videos from Microsoft, added them to a Movie Factory
DVD project and made the DVD, setting the MPEG settings to maximum with variable
compression. The finished DVD was amazing - not HDTV, but very good, certainly
up there with good DVD transfers of movies. So the problem is mini-DV is just
not high enough quality. The main problem isn't the cheap encoder I am using.

Anyway, my point is that I now know that if I get an HD camcorder and editing
system, I can output the finished project to DVD and get pretty high quality to
the customer. In my opinion, the big problem is getting a useable high quality
image to the consumer. DVD is certainly useable. I mean let's say you shoot
someone's recital or wedding in HD format. Sure it is going to look great on
your home system because you have a way to view the video in HD format. But how
do you get HD to the customer? The answer is you probably don't, which means
using regular DVD, which virtually everyone can view. But a DVD encoded from HD
camcorder is going to be a lot better than a DVD encoded from standard mini-DV.
5 answers Last reply
More about encoded good

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 20:42:22 GMT, "SimMike-" <simmike@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >I've always been disappointed in mini-DV output to DVD. While it looks almost as
    >good as the original DV video, with probably a little more noise, it doesn't
    >look anything like real good DVD transfers of Hollywood movies. So I decided to
    >see if the problem is my cheap DVD decoder which is Ulead Movie Factory3, which
    >I've always thought did a real good job considering the price.
    >
    >So I downloaded some WMV HD videos from Microsoft, added them to a Movie Factory
    >DVD project and made the DVD, setting the MPEG settings to maximum with variable
    >compression. The finished DVD was amazing - not HDTV, but very good, certainly
    >up there with good DVD transfers of movies. So the problem is mini-DV is just
    >not high enough quality. The main problem isn't the cheap encoder I am using.

    You're drawing the wrong conclusions. A cheap encoder might work
    better with pre-cleaned videos, but that doesn't make it better.
    Get a trial version of Cinemacraft Encoder Basic (still not expensive)
    and you'll see. You can use that to encode the MPEG (be sure to switch
    off filters; with enough bitrate, a DVD can reproduce DV without
    visible difference) and then make the DVD with UMF.

    >Anyway, my point is that I now know that if I get an HD camcorder and editing
    >system, I can output the finished project to DVD and get pretty high quality to
    >the customer. In my opinion, the big problem is getting a useable high quality
    >image to the consumer. DVD is certainly useable. I mean let's say you shoot
    >someone's recital or wedding in HD format. Sure it is going to look great on
    >your home system because you have a way to view the video in HD format. But how
    >do you get HD to the customer? The answer is you probably don't, which means
    >using regular DVD, which virtually everyone can view. But a DVD encoded from HD
    >camcorder is going to be a lot better than a DVD encoded from standard mini-DV.

    WMV HD is not the same as the output from an HD camcorder. You can be
    sure that WMV treats noise and wipes out some (hopefully invisible)
    detail to tune down encoding bitrates. Camcorder stuff is always more
    difficult. Resizing a HD to standard will reduce noise a bit and the
    pictures will be pretty crisp, but you will still profit a lot from a
    professional MPEG2 encoder.

    Some more hints in the DVD section of my website.

    Cheers

    http://www.codecpage.com

    IMHO - there's something wrong with your mini-dv -> DVD
    encoding - using the highest bitrate for encoding
    this should look as good as a commercial dvd.

    When I was looking at dvd authoring solutions,
    I tried the ulead dvd MF demo, the first video I tried
    to encode had a full video drop out on a transition
    with alot of motion.

    Download TMpeg 3.0 and DVD-Lab, both have free trial
    periods. Encode some of your mini-dv video using the
    highest bitrate possible with TMPEG, and author the
    dvd with DVD-LAB (to make sure the video doesn't get
    recompressed by the authoring program), I think you'll
    be impressed by the results.

    DVD sourced from a good mini-dv camera should
    look as good as DVD sourced from HD, mini DV is
    higher resolution than DVD.

    Grizz <nospam@forme.com> wrote in message news:<41354326$1_3@newspeer2.tds.net>...

    > DVD sourced from a good mini-dv camera should
    > look as good as DVD sourced from HD, mini DV is
    > higher resolution than DVD.

    No it isn't - they're identical (720x480 for NTSC, 720x576 for PAL)

    Best advice for you is to use some dedicated high quality encoder like
    YMPEG or TMPEG. I get excellent DVD with YMPEG + noise reduction
    plugin in VirtualDub. Search google for "YMPEG"

    Karim

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:34:27 -0500, Grizz <nospam@forme.com> wrote:

    >DVD sourced from a good mini-dv camera should
    >look as good as DVD sourced from HD, mini DV is
    >higher resolution than DVD.

    DV has exactly the same resolution as full D1 DVD. But it delivers
    higher encoding quality because of bitrate and codec mechanisms.

Tuner Cards DVD Video HD Movies Graphics