Complex problem with cd and dvd drives

I hope someone can help me. I am going out of my mind!!!!!

Dell Demensions 3000, 2.79 GHz, XP home, sp2

1) When attemping to format on oem cd r/w drive I get error 0x80070005
Access denied. You do not have permission to perform the requested
operation. I am the administrator. I have set all permissions to full access
through Adminstator in safe mode for my computer administrator account (it's
the only one on the comuter).

2) I can only do a quick format on the dvd drive. Full format is greyed out.
It's greyed out on cd drive too.

3) Windows media player does not reconize a burner in either d: (cd r/w) or
e: (dvd r/w) drives. so I cannot do anything there either.

4) Nero, can't write to cd drive because it always says put in empty disk in
the dvd drive when the disk is empty.

5) Discs that I have burned using dvd2one (after 10 hours-yes, 10 hours of
writing for one 100 min movie) and then hangs. I reboot and the drive and DLA
says it has to mount the disc and hangs. Reboot again. When reinserted the
disc, the drive cannot read the media. It just runs and runs, and runs. When
it doesn't just run and run I click on drive properties and it says 0 bytes
used 0 bytes free, file type unknown.

Sory for the book but I wanted to be as clear as possible in the hope that
some one could help me. Thank you.

Try changing the brand of media you use.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"MWE056" <MWE056@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I hope someone can help me. I am going out of my mind!!!!!
>
> Dell Demensions 3000, 2.79 GHz, XP home, sp2
>
> 1) When attemping to format on oem cd r/w drive I get error 0x80070005
> Access denied. You do not have permission to perform the requested
> operation. I am the administrator. I have set all permissions to full
> access
> through Adminstator in safe mode for my computer administrator account
> (it's
> the only one on the comuter).
>
> 2) I can only do a quick format on the dvd drive. Full format is greyed
> out.
> It's greyed out on cd drive too.
>
> 3) Windows media player does not reconize a burner in either d: (cd r/w)
> or
> e: (dvd r/w) drives. so I cannot do anything there either.
>
> 4) Nero, can't write to cd drive because it always says put in empty disk
> in
> the dvd drive when the disk is empty.
>
> 5) Discs that I have burned using dvd2one (after 10 hours-yes, 10 hours of
> writing for one 100 min movie) and then hangs. I reboot and the drive and
> DLA
> says it has to mount the disc and hangs. Reboot again. When reinserted
> the
> disc, the drive cannot read the media. It just runs and runs, and runs.
> When
> it doesn't just run and run I click on drive properties and it says 0
> bytes
> used 0 bytes free, file type unknown.
>
> Sory for the book but I wanted to be as clear as possible in the hope that
> some one could help me. Thank you.

I have tried 2 differant kinds of discs, both brand name. Is that what you
mean?
--
Strength and Honor

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Try changing the brand of media you use.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "MWE056" <MWE056@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I hope someone can help me. I am going out of my mind!!!!!
> >
> > Dell Demensions 3000, 2.79 GHz, XP home, sp2
> >
> > 1) When attemping to format on oem cd r/w drive I get error 0x80070005
> > Access denied. You do not have permission to perform the requested
> > operation. I am the administrator. I have set all permissions to full
> > access
> > through Adminstator in safe mode for my computer administrator account
> > (it's
> > the only one on the comuter).
> >
> > 2) I can only do a quick format on the dvd drive. Full format is greyed
> > out.
> > It's greyed out on cd drive too.
> >
> > 3) Windows media player does not reconize a burner in either d: (cd r/w)
> > or
> > e: (dvd r/w) drives. so I cannot do anything there either.
> >
> > 4) Nero, can't write to cd drive because it always says put in empty disk
> > in
> > the dvd drive when the disk is empty.
> >
> > 5) Discs that I have burned using dvd2one (after 10 hours-yes, 10 hours of
> > writing for one 100 min movie) and then hangs. I reboot and the drive and
> > DLA
> > says it has to mount the disc and hangs. Reboot again. When reinserted
> > the
> > disc, the drive cannot read the media. It just runs and runs, and runs.
> > When
> > it doesn't just run and run I click on drive properties and it says 0
> > bytes
> > used 0 bytes free, file type unknown.
> >
> > Sory for the book but I wanted to be as clear as possible in the hope that
> > some one could help me. Thank you.

Ive Tried 2, Both brand names. If its the discs you are talking about. I will
try another. What do I do about the other issues? Permission to write to the
drive and not able to full format (also see post Administrator, yet access
denied in Windows XP Security and administration 8/31. could be relevant?)? I
apperciate your help. Matt
--
Strength and Honor

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Try changing the brand of media you use.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "MWE056" <MWE056@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I hope someone can help me. I am going out of my mind!!!!!
> >
> > Dell Demensions 3000, 2.79 GHz, XP home, sp2
> >
> > 1) When attemping to format on oem cd r/w drive I get error 0x80070005
> > Access denied. You do not have permission to perform the requested
> > operation. I am the administrator. I have set all permissions to full
> > access
> > through Adminstator in safe mode for my computer administrator account
> > (it's
> > the only one on the comuter).
> >
> > 2) I can only do a quick format on the dvd drive. Full format is greyed
> > out.
> > It's greyed out on cd drive too.
> >
> > 3) Windows media player does not reconize a burner in either d: (cd r/w)
> > or
> > e: (dvd r/w) drives. so I cannot do anything there either.
> >
> > 4) Nero, can't write to cd drive because it always says put in empty disk
> > in
> > the dvd drive when the disk is empty.
> >
> > 5) Discs that I have burned using dvd2one (after 10 hours-yes, 10 hours of
> > writing for one 100 min movie) and then hangs. I reboot and the drive and
> > DLA
> > says it has to mount the disc and hangs. Reboot again. When reinserted
> > the
> > disc, the drive cannot read the media. It just runs and runs, and runs.
> > When
> > it doesn't just run and run I click on drive properties and it says 0
> > bytes
> > used 0 bytes free, file type unknown.
> >
> > Sory for the book but I wanted to be as clear as possible in the hope that
> > some one could help me. Thank you.

What programme are you using to complete tasks 1 and 2?
On what sort of disc?
4 has me confused, as you say nero can't write to the cd drive as it tells
you the dvd drive is empty????????? Are you telling nero to burn from the cd
drive which holds the disc, or assuming it knows to use that drive and in
reality it is looking at the dvd drive and is telling you the truth, there
is no disc in it?

Have you enabled burning on both drives?

http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Tutorials/EnableCdRecording.htm

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media