Black login screen on Windows Server 2003

System: Dell PowerEdge 750 (comes with ATI RAGE XL video)
O/S: MS Windows 2003 Server SP1 with all current patches

Symptom: Login screen is mostly black. The only thing
visible is the "Windows Server 2003" banner at the top of
the userid/password dialog. The bottom half of the dialog
(where one types the userid and password) is not visible,
but you can still type into it and login successfully.

See http://www.jhmg.net/ms/delos.gif for a sample.

After login the system behaves normally, with no video
glitches. This affects the login screen only.

Since the video driver is included in Windows, Dell has
nothing newer than the 2001 version.

Suggestions?

This is the newsgroup for help with video issues in Windows XP. You need
the Windows Servers newsgroups. However the first thing I would try is an
updated driver from the graphic card manufacturer's website.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"James Garrison" <jhg@athensgroup.com> wrote in message
> System: Dell PowerEdge 750 (comes with ATI RAGE XL video)
> O/S: MS Windows 2003 Server SP1 with all current patches
>
> Symptom: Login screen is mostly black. The only thing
> visible is the "Windows Server 2003" banner at the top of
> the userid/password dialog. The bottom half of the dialog
> (where one types the userid and password) is not visible,
> but you can still type into it and login successfully.
>
> See http://www.jhmg.net/ms/delos.gif for a sample.
>
> After login the system behaves normally, with no video
> glitches. This affects the login screen only.
>
> Since the video driver is included in Windows, Dell has
> nothing newer than the 2001 version.
>
> Suggestions?

have a look at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906510

It looks like the color scheme is set to all black.

On an other server you start the register editor. Then you connect to the server where the problem occours. After browsing to HKU\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Colors you should correct those colors.

I just copied it from an other server. I tried an psexec \\<server cmd and tried an import of an regfile but this failes. I had to to this by hand. (copy/paste).

Gerdo Wenting
Wim Bosman Holding B.v.