Best AVI -> MPG Converter

I've downloaded a few trial versions of AVI->MPG converters but all of
them have some limitiations

So far, I've tried...

EO-Video
TMPGEnc
AVOne

Out of all of them EO-Video works the best, is easy to use, and has
the best results but takes an age and a day to do anything.

TMPGEnc is far to fiddly to use (eg I can't find a way to
automatically copy the output screen size (or number audio channels)
from the source), often misses the audio completely but the video
quality is great and it is very fast.

AV One is also quite fast but there are problems with Audio sync and
some judders on occasion. It has also crashed on me a few times.

I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions that has the
capabilities and ease of use as EO-Video but with the speed of TMPGEnc
& AVOne.

On 25 Jul 2004 21:30:15 -0700 dale303@hotmail.com (Dale Walker) wrote in
Message id: <1fef5ed7.0407252030.463c3cf0@posting.google.com>:

>I've downloaded a few trial versions of AVI->MPG converters but all of
>them have some limitiations
>
>So far, I've tried...
>
>EO-Video
>TMPGEnc
>AVOne
>
>Out of all of them EO-Video works the best, is easy to use, and has
>the best results but takes an age and a day to do anything.
>
>TMPGEnc is far to fiddly to use (eg I can't find a way to
>automatically copy the output screen size (or number audio channels)
>from the source), often misses the audio completely but the video
>quality is great and it is very fast.
>
>AV One is also quite fast but there are problems with Audio sync and
>some judders on occasion. It has also crashed on me a few times.
>
>I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions that has the
>capabilities and ease of use as EO-Video but with the speed of TMPGEnc
>& AVOne.

Check out Mainconcept's Mpeg Encoder version 1.4.2 - it converts Divx and
Xvid to mpg faster than real time on my P4 2.8GHz.

> I've downloaded a few trial versions of AVI->MPG converters but all of
> them have some limitiations
>
> So far, I've tried...
>
> EO-Video
> TMPGEnc
> AVOne
>
> Out of all of them EO-Video works the best, is easy to use, and has
> the best results but takes an age and a day to do anything.
>
> TMPGEnc is far to fiddly to use (eg I can't find a way to
> automatically copy the output screen size (or number audio channels)
> from the source), often misses the audio completely but the video
> quality is great and it is very fast.
>
> AV One is also quite fast but there are problems with Audio sync and
> some judders on occasion. It has also crashed on me a few times.
>
> I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions that has the
> capabilities and ease of use as EO-Video but with the speed of TMPGEnc
> & AVOne.

TMPGenc, ProCoder and Cinema Craft are generally considered to be the best
MPEG2 encoders out there. Cinema Craft's MPEG1 isn't very good, though.

I don't know how slow EO and AVOne are, but it must be bad if you think
TMPGenc is slow. It's one of the slower encoders around.

TMPGenc fiddliness = control. Stick with it, you won't regret it. All locked
functions, such as screen size can be unlocked by right-clicking them and
selecting "Unlock".

"Allan" <fghj@tyui.tyu> wrote in message news:<ce35a0$plh$1@titan.btinternet.com>...
> > I've downloaded a few trial versions of AVI->MPG converters but all of
> > them have some limitiations
> >
> > So far, I've tried...
> >
> > EO-Video
> > TMPGEnc
> > AVOne
> >
> > Out of all of them EO-Video works the best, is easy to use, and has
> > the best results but takes an age and a day to do anything.
> >
> > TMPGEnc is far to fiddly to use (eg I can't find a way to
> > automatically copy the output screen size (or number audio channels)
> > from the source), often misses the audio completely but the video
> > quality is great and it is very fast.
> >
> > AV One is also quite fast but there are problems with Audio sync and
> > some judders on occasion. It has also crashed on me a few times.
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions that has the
> > capabilities and ease of use as EO-Video but with the speed of TMPGEnc
> > & AVOne.
>
> TMPGenc, ProCoder and Cinema Craft are generally considered to be the best
> MPEG2 encoders out there. Cinema Craft's MPEG1 isn't very good, though.
>
> I don't know how slow EO and AVOne are, but it must be bad if you think
> TMPGenc is slow. It's one of the slower encoders around.

Got AMD XP 3k+ 1GB and EO will still take at least day to convert a
1hour avi. It does however just do it, coping with just about any
video/audio format I could throw at it without having to tell it
anything by setting most of the options to 'same as source'

> TMPGenc fiddliness = control. Stick with it, you won't regret it. All locked
> functions, such as screen size can be unlocked by right-clicking them and
> selecting "Unlock".

Are we talking about 2.51 or 3.0 XPress here? I've got both and I
can't see anything remotely like what your talking about on either. In
fact I can't seem to right click on anything and get anything other
than the standard R-clck menu options like cut and paste.

Besides, what I want to do is 'lock' the output size to the source
size. All I seem to be able to do in TMPGenc is lock to a standard
format or make my own up by copying the settings over manually.

And I still can't get a peep out of the audio on most files I'm trying
to convert.

Rich

"Dale Walker" <dale303@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've downloaded a few trial versions of AVI->MPG converters but all of
> them have some limitiations
>
> So far, I've tried...
>
> EO-Video
> TMPGEnc
> AVOne
>
> Out of all of them EO-Video works the best, is easy to use, and has
> the best results but takes an age and a day to do anything.
>
> TMPGEnc is far to fiddly to use (eg I can't find a way to
> automatically copy the output screen size (or number audio channels)
> from the source), often misses the audio completely but the video
> quality is great and it is very fast.
>
> AV One is also quite fast but there are problems with Audio sync and
> some judders on occasion. It has also crashed on me a few times.
>
> I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions that has the
> capabilities and ease of use as EO-Video but with the speed of TMPGEnc
> & AVOne.

I've been using TMPGEnc DVD Author which comes with Source Creator. No
fiddling with settings, I use the default, and I am pleased with the
results. They do have a fully functional 30 day demo. Some say it's fast,
some say it's slow. I encoded 6 .avi files, 9.39 GB (44:50 play time) and
it took 2 hrs 14 minutes on a 2.66 GHz machine. For whatever that's worth.

Rich

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 00:07:06 GMT, "Rich" <richsanchez43@usa.com>
wrote:

>"Dale Walker" <dale303@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've downloaded a few trial versions of AVI->MPG converters but all of
>> them have some limitiations
>>
>> So far, I've tried...
>>
>> EO-Video
>> TMPGEnc
>> AVOne
>>
>> Out of all of them EO-Video works the best, is easy to use, and has
>> the best results but takes an age and a day to do anything.
>>
>> TMPGEnc is far to fiddly to use (eg I can't find a way to
>> automatically copy the output screen size (or number audio channels)
>> from the source), often misses the audio completely but the video
>> quality is great and it is very fast.
>>
>> AV One is also quite fast but there are problems with Audio sync and
>> some judders on occasion. It has also crashed on me a few times.
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions that has the
>> capabilities and ease of use as EO-Video but with the speed of TMPGEnc
>> & AVOne.
>
>I've been using TMPGEnc DVD Author which comes with Source Creator. No
>fiddling with settings, I use the default, and I am pleased with the
>results. They do have a fully functional 30 day demo. Some say it's fast,
>some say it's slow. I encoded 6 .avi files, 9.39 GB (44:50 play time) and
>it took 2 hrs 14 minutes on a 2.66 GHz machine. For whatever that's worth.

The speed is no good to me if I can't get any sound out of it.

Can anyone give me some basic audio settings to get me started?

I can at least get sound out of any of the other MPG converters I've
tried at (OK, some get sync problems but at least there's *SOME*
sound).

BTW does the preview screen supposed to play sound as well or is that
mute too?

Dale Walker: dale@sorted.org
London Techno Events: london@sorted.org, london.sorted.org
Saiko: saiko@sorted.org, saiko.sorted.org

Rich

"Dale Walker" <dale@sorted.org> wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 00:07:06 GMT, "Rich" <richsanchez43@usa.com>
> wrote:
>

> >"Dale Walker" <dale303@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I've downloaded a few trial versions of AVI->MPG converters but all of
> >> them have some limitiations
> >>
> >> So far, I've tried...
> >>
> >> EO-Video
> >> TMPGEnc
> >> AVOne
> >>
> >> Out of all of them EO-Video works the best, is easy to use, and has
> >> the best results but takes an age and a day to do anything.
> >>
> >> TMPGEnc is far to fiddly to use (eg I can't find a way to
> >> automatically copy the output screen size (or number audio channels)
> >> from the source), often misses the audio completely but the video
> >> quality is great and it is very fast.
> >>
> >> AV One is also quite fast but there are problems with Audio sync and
> >> some judders on occasion. It has also crashed on me a few times.
> >>
> >> I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions that has the
> >> capabilities and ease of use as EO-Video but with the speed of TMPGEnc
> >> & AVOne.
> >
> >I've been using TMPGEnc DVD Author which comes with Source Creator. No
> >fiddling with settings, I use the default, and I am pleased with the
> >results. They do have a fully functional 30 day demo. Some say it's
fast,
> >some say it's slow. I encoded 6 .avi files, 9.39 GB (44:50 play time)
and
> >it took 2 hrs 14 minutes on a 2.66 GHz machine. For whatever that's
worth.

> The speed is no good to me if I can't get any sound out of it.
>
> Can anyone give me some basic audio settings to get me started?
>
> I can at least get sound out of any of the other MPG converters I've
> tried at (OK, some get sync problems but at least there's *SOME*
> sound).
>
> BTW does the preview screen supposed to play sound as well or is that
> mute too?

I feed .AVI files to TMPGEnc DVD Source Creator (ver. 2.1.3.8). I use the
default settings "DVD for NTSC 4:3". It creates .MPG files with sound. The
preview screen does not play sound while encoding. The encoded .MPG file
does contain sound.

Rich

Start up TMPGEnc and cancel the wizard if it runs. Then click the load
button and load the "Unlock.mcf" template - it'll be in the Templates/Extras
folder in your TMPGEnc folder. Loading this file will make available all the
settings that were greyed out.

I use SoundForge to extract and encode the Audio, And TMPGEnc to encode the
video.

Look here - http://dvd-hq.info/Compression.html - for a good guide to
setting TMPGEnc up for high quality encoding, and here -
http://www.digitalfaq.com/convert/tmpgenc/tmpgencplus.htm - for a guide to
getting things done a little faster in TMPGEnc.

Stick with TMPGEnc - once you get to grips with the fiddly interface you'll
get great results . . .

--
Peace !

Steve Wilcox

"If Whisky Don't Kill Me I'll Live 'Til I Die"

stevegwilcox@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk