Movie maker conflicts with Adobe Premiere Pro.

I am using windows XP home edition with office 2003 professional on a Toshiba
dynabook. I want to uninstall or disable the Microsoft movie maker, as it is
interfering with my professional Adobe Premiere Pro software. I have found no
way to this.

Every time I plug in my i-link DVD tape drive, I get the absolutely
annoying, pop window that asks which software I would like to use to capture
from the DVD device. Unfortunately the software I want to use is not listed!
I have selected no program and the use for every time check box. The pop up
window refused to stop bugging me. When the pop up window appears my Adobe
software can not see my device and is then disabled.

I made the mistake of clicking on the movie maker in hopes that after
opening and turning off the program, it would let me use my Adobe. No luck,
now the movie maker has set itself as my default capture window, I can not
find a way to disable its settings in the “tool” options. What I do not
understand is why now it is bothering me? After service pack 2 installation
all was fine, however recently my computer has automatically downloaded
something from Microsoft. I do not know what it was or if it is now the cause
of all my problems.

The point is I want this annoying program off my computer!! I never use it
and I never use the Microsoft video format. I work with AVI and Vob files,
and I need far more functions than a Microsoft product can offer.

Any help would be great, as I need to be able to use my Adobe Premiere again.
Thanks.

If you are sure it is an update then use system restore to go back to before
that update, then manually update the computer and test after each one to
see which is causing the problem. Then figure out if you really need it.

MM is part of windows aso cannot be removed.

What is the dvd tape drive?

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"OdditiesCopie" <OdditiesCopie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using windows XP home edition with office 2003 professional on a
>Toshiba
> dynabook. I want to uninstall or disable the Microsoft movie maker, as it
> is
> interfering with my professional Adobe Premiere Pro software. I have found
> no
> way to this.
>
> Every time I plug in my i-link DVD tape drive, I get the absolutely
> annoying, pop window that asks which software I would like to use to
> capture
> from the DVD device. Unfortunately the software I want to use is not
> listed!
> I have selected no program and the use for every time check box. The pop
> up
> window refused to stop bugging me. When the pop up window appears my Adobe
> software can not see my device and is then disabled.
>
> I made the mistake of clicking on the movie maker in hopes that after
> opening and turning off the program, it would let me use my Adobe. No
> luck,
> now the movie maker has set itself as my default capture window, I can not
> find a way to disable its settings in the "tool" options. What I do not
> understand is why now it is bothering me? After service pack 2
> installation
> all was fine, however recently my computer has automatically downloaded
> something from Microsoft. I do not know what it was or if it is now the
> cause
> of all my problems.
>
> The point is I want this annoying program off my computer!! I never use it
> and I never use the Microsoft video format. I work with AVI and Vob files,
> and I need far more functions than a Microsoft product can offer.
>
> Any help would be great, as I need to be able to use my Adobe Premiere
> again.
> Thanks.

Hi again,
I have check and it is not the updates. So I do not understand why this is
causing me problems now. I have done and re-install and a repair install on
my Adobe premiere and that did not help either.

I DVD tape drive is an external drive that plays only DVD mini tapes, it
connects by i-link like any DVD camcorder or camera. All worked fine last
week. I have not installed any new software for months.

Thank you for your response.

> Hi again,
> I have check and it is not the updates. So I do not understand why this is
> causing me problems now. I have done and re-install and a repair install
> on
> my Adobe premiere and that did not help either.
>
> I DVD tape drive is an external drive that plays only DVD mini tapes, it
> connects by i-link like any DVD camcorder or camera. All worked fine last
> week. I have not installed any new software for months.
>
> Thank you for your response.

What is a DVD tape drive? DVD stands for Digital Versatile *DISK*. There
are no
such things as DVD tape drives.

Bobby

And Adobe Premiere has no conflicts that I have found with Windows Movie
Maker. I have Premiere, WinDVD Creator, PowerDirector/Producer and a few
other capture/editing software applications... they all run just fine
together.

--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

> "OdditiesCopie" <OdditiesCopie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi again,
>> I have check and it is not the updates. So I do not understand why this
>> is
>> causing me problems now. I have done and re-install and a repair install
>> on
>> my Adobe premiere and that did not help either.
>>
>> I DVD tape drive is an external drive that plays only DVD mini tapes, it
>> connects by i-link like any DVD camcorder or camera. All worked fine last
>> week. I have not installed any new software for months.
>>
>> Thank you for your response.
>>
> What is a DVD tape drive? DVD stands for Digital Versatile *DISK*. There
> are no
> such things as DVD tape drives.
>
> Bobby

Is this a minidv tape deck?

If it's not the updates, have you installed any thing else, programmes,
codecs etc which may be interfering? Un-installed anything? How did you
check it wasn't the updates?

Graham