Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP-64bit ruined my system... HELP!!!

Last response: in Windows 7
December 31, 2010 4:20:30 PM

THIS IS REGARDING WINDOWS 7 AND MY HARDWARE!

I had an old Windows XP 64-bit installed on my old IDE HDD. after a while, it crashed and stopped working. It would show me the "NTLDR is missing; Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" error at boot up. So... this old HDD has 2 partitions. 1 is 25ish Gb, which is where Win98-64bit was installed on. and the 2nd was for backup, which is 175Gbs (it's a 200gb HDD).

after I got this NTLDR error, i tried repairing it the way it told me through guides but all failed so I bought Windows 7. I formatted the 25gb partition one on my IDE drive, on which the old Win98-64 was on, so technically that error along with windows was wiped. Installed Windows 7 on it, and everytime it would up, it would go to a screen where it asks me "which windows would you like to boot with" and has Windows 7 as default. then 30 sec countdown. if i press enter, it would go to Win7, or in 30 sec it would so anyway. or above that option, there is "older version of windows". if id scroll up and chose that, it would start to boot and give me "NTLDR error" like that error is saved somewhere on the system.

now here is the tricky part that is confusing the crap out of me. I got a 2nd BACKUP drive of 500gb, which is SATA. it acts as the mother of my system ever since i started getting the NTLDR error. in order for me to boot the PC now, i would HAVE to have this SATA drive hooked up. or it will not work. and.. i would have to have it setup 1ST in the bootup sequence in BIOS. if it is selected as 2nd boot device> "NTLDR error". if i unhook this SATA drive>"NTLDR error". If i disable this SATA backup>"NTLDR error". this SATA HDD needs to be connected and recognized by my system in order for me to get into Windows 7, and it would only let me in with that "which system would you like to boot" screen with 30 sec countdown.

i tried swapping my old HDD with regular Windows XP on another IDE HDD (80gig), and it just says "Error loading operating system." it worked before on the same hardware, but ever since i installed Win XP-64, and had that NTLDR error, it just gives me that error loading message. SO I CANNOT EVEN USE MY OLD WINDOWS AND DONT HAVE WIRELESS WITH MY OLD CARD (not compatible with windows 7). so i got no way of accessing internet atm.

I am really thinking this NTLDR error is stored somewhere on the hardware of my computer. the hardware thinks that it is there, when I wiped my Windows XP-64 partition clean. and even when i swap hard drives, it thinks it is somehow there or something. i mean, why would it need a SATA drive? it makes no sense. SATA is just for backup.

please help me, because I have no idea what to do at this point. and can't even get internet at my new place cuz there is only wireless. my wireless card is old and incompatible with Win7, but my old WinXP hard drive gives me that stupid "Error loading operating system" message so i can't even get online!

what to do, and is there any way to reset my Hardware or something. do i need to reset BIOS? help!

Other info:

Windows 7 or Old windows choice bootup screen - can only chose these 2 or Tab>Windows Memory Diagnosis

BIOS:

Primary IDE Master: LG DVDRW
Primary IDE Slave: Seagate 200Gb IDE HDD
Sata #1: WD 500Gb

Boot device priority

1st Floppy
2nd Sata 500
3rd DVD RW

HD Drives

1st Drive: Sata 500
2nd Drive: 200gb Seagate IDE HDD (the only way it would work)

-if switch these 2 above >NTLDR error at bootup
- if make 200gb st> NTLDR at boot up
- if disable 200 gb, still boots into Win7 option

My system:

AMD Athlon II X2 255 Regor 3.1GHz Socket AM3 65W
Foxconn A76ML-K
ECS NR9800GTE-512QX-F GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit DDR3
A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W
200G Seagate <----------- partition 1 of this HDD had WinXp-64 which screwed everything up.
500GB Wester Digitital SATA <-------- PC won't work without this HDD
(backup Drive) 80gb Maxtor <------- this is the one my old *working* Winxp is on
a b $ Windows 7
December 31, 2010 4:40:12 PM

Wow, what a mess you have. This is usually caused by reinstalling a version of Windows on a secondary drive, while you still have the original installation hooked up to the computer on the first drive. When you do this, the second version of Windows will work fine, but it will use the bootstrap, or "NTLDR" from the original installation on the other disk. Now, if you remove that original installation, install over it, or remove that original disk, or in anyway change the drive letter or paths, move the drive, etc, the secondary installation will now give you that error when it tries to load, as it cannot find the bootstrap it had been using on the other drive.
Now, how to fix all of this? You need to do an OS installation somewhere, on 1 of the drives without the other drives hooked up. I would suggest simply doing a repair install. Start install disk, start a normal installation, then when it finds your current installation and asks you if you want to repair your current installation or do a new one, choose to repair the current install. Let the repair install run. Then plug your other drives in after it completes.
Now, I have heard of ways that you can manually fix this same problem, but it's complicated, requires editing the boot files, and I have never done it. If you want to try it, just google around or maybe someone with a more experience in with this exact situation will chime in.
The 64 bit version of XP is a terrible choice to install. It has very limited driver and hardware support, very limited. But XP 64 in it's self is not what is causing you problems.
m
l
December 31, 2010 5:05:49 PM

it wont let me install new windows on a backup HDD. "error loading OS". ill try again later tonight.

i just dont understand why it needs SATA drive when i never installed anything on it
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2011 2:16:21 AM

At some time the bootsector files have been written to the 500GB SATA, indicated by the fact that it works with it connected. Why not leave it connected.
Your other option is to disconnect the SATA drive, reinstall XP which you apparently need on the drive you want, then reinstall W7 on the other drive.
I would backup your data first and format the drives before reinstalling. Once you have your dual boot working you can reconnect the sata drive.
As it is now it's a mess.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2011 2:30:19 AM

If you really just need to get the information off the IDE drive more than anything else, grab a copy of Ubuntu somewhere, and run it off the CD. I've done this countless times to recover data off a hard drive where Windows will not boot.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

Side note: just for this purpose, just use the 32-bit. Really don't need the 64-bit for data recovery.
m
l
January 1, 2011 2:41:27 AM

The Windows Bootloader is stored in Track 0. Even if you delete the primary partition of your Windows drive, the BootLoader is still there. You can do a search for commands on how to remove, repair, or edit the BootLoader (these commands can change between Windows versions). Hope this helps.
m
l
January 3, 2011 1:33:56 AM

LordConrad said:
The Windows Bootloader is stored in Track 0. Even if you delete the primary partition of your Windows drive, the BootLoader is still there. You can do a search for commands on how to remove, repair, or edit the BootLoader (these commands can change between Windows versions). Hope this helps.

okay, i will reasearch this and already got rid of the 30 sec cd for the boot on win7. but damn.. this is so complicated. i wish i could fix it quick :( 
m
l
January 3, 2011 1:34:42 AM

Jonmor68 said:
At some time the bootsector files have been written to the 500GB SATA, indicated by the fact that it works with it connected. Why not leave it connected.
Your other option is to disconnect the SATA drive, reinstall XP which you apparently need on the drive you want, then reinstall W7 on the other drive.
I would backup your data first and format the drives before reinstalling. Once you have your dual boot working you can reconnect the sata drive.
As it is now it's a mess.

i want to give this PC tcle minus the backup HDD 500gb...
m
l
!