Strange problem with media player on TV

In the school science lab they have a large screen TV hooked up to a
computer via S-Video. I was helping the teacher play streaming (internet)
video clips using WMP and discovered that although they display properly on
the computer screen the media player window displayed on the TV was black.
The same web site offered a link to stream the same video using Quicktime
and that DID display properly on the TV. Does anyone know what is going on
with this?

It can be dependant on the file type, with WMP you are using overlay, which
will oly be supported on the primary monitor. You can get around this by
making the tv the primary monitor or by turning off the acceleration
http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Tutorials/Tutorials.htm

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Swingman" <visaccoNoSpamPlease@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In the school science lab they have a large screen TV hooked up to a
> computer via S-Video. I was helping the teacher play streaming (internet)
> video clips using WMP and discovered that although they display properly
> on the computer screen the media player window displayed on the TV was
> black. The same web site offered a link to stream the same video using
> Quicktime and that DID display properly on the TV. Does anyone know what
> is going on with this?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Hello, Graham!
You wrote on Sun, 4 Sep 2005 16:22:00 +0100:

GH> It can be dependant on the file type, with WMP you are using overlay,
GH> which will oly be supported on the primary monitor. You can get around
GH> this by making the tv the primary monitor or by turning off the
GH> acceleration

, or by turning on "Full screen video overlay " (or something like that) in
Your video card driver properties. The exact name and position of that
parameter depends on video card and driver version. After that, when You
place WMP on monitor, video will also be shown on TV in full screen mode.

With best regards, å×ÇÅÎÉÊ æÉÒÓÏ×.

"??????? ??????" <eugene.firsov@mail.ru> wrote in message
> Hello, Graham!
> You wrote on Sun, 4 Sep 2005 16:22:00 +0100:
>
> GH> It can be dependant on the file type, with WMP you are using overlay,
> GH> which will oly be supported on the primary monitor. You can get around
> GH> this by making the tv the primary monitor or by turning off the
> GH> acceleration
>
> , or by turning on "Full screen video overlay " (or something like that)
> in Your video card driver properties. The exact name and position of that
> parameter depends on video card and driver version. After that, when You
> place WMP on monitor, video will also be shown on TV in full screen mode.
>

> With best regards, å×ÇÅÎÉÊ æÉÒÓÏ×.

Thanks for both responses! I will check this out and post the results.

> "??????? ??????" <eugene.firsov@mail.ru> wrote in message
>> Hello, Graham!
>> You wrote on Sun, 4 Sep 2005 16:22:00 +0100:
>>
>> GH> It can be dependant on the file type, with WMP you are using overlay,
>> GH> which will oly be supported on the primary monitor. You can get
>> around
>> GH> this by making the tv the primary monitor or by turning off the
>> GH> acceleration
>>
>> , or by turning on "Full screen video overlay " (or something like that)
>> in Your video card driver properties. The exact name and position of that
>> parameter depends on video card and driver version. After that, when You
>> place WMP on monitor, video will also be shown on TV in full screen mode.
>>

>> With best regards, å×ÇÅÎÉÊ æÉÒÓÏ×.
>
> Thanks for both responses! I will check this out and post the results.

Turns out the fix for this problem is to change the setting under Video
Acceleration from "use overlays" to "use high quality mode". After this
change the media player 10 video displayed on both primary and secondary
displays without any other settings changes.