What size and method to burn for widescreen?

Heya,

I'm going to be producing some frames in Photoshop that I want to play
back widescreen on 16:9 players, and letterboxed on 4:3 players. I
believe I need to produce them in anamorphic 16x9 format, from what
I've read, but how do I accomplish that? What size would the initial
media need to be?

oj
2 answers Last reply
More about what size method burn widescreen

    On 26 Jul 2004 11:45:15 -0700, orljustin@aol.com (OJ) wrote:

    >Heya,
    >
    >I'm going to be producing some frames in Photoshop that I want to play
    >back widescreen on 16:9 players, and letterboxed on 4:3 players. I
    >believe I need to produce them in anamorphic 16x9 format, from what
    >I've read, but how do I accomplish that? What size would the initial
    >media need to be?
    >
    >oj
    Assuming the source is actually 16/9 and has the proper
    aspect ratio I don;t think you need to do anything special.

    Mpg encoders like have a tmpgenc have a method to tell it
    that the A/R of the source material is in a 16/9 ratio.
    You also tell it you want 16/9 output. That should be enough.
    The output is 720*480 (NTSC) or 720*576 (PAL) in any case,
    anamorphic or not.
    Dave

    davetest <davexnetzerotwo@hooya!.com> wrote in message news:<3ubeg0t8j60ve35892pr5p6q761vv90fd6@4ax.com>...
    > On 26 Jul 2004 11:45:15 -0700, orljustin@aol.com (OJ) wrote:
    >
    > >Heya,
    > >
    > >I'm going to be producing some frames in Photoshop that I want to play
    > >back widescreen on 16:9 players, and letterboxed on 4:3 players. I
    > >believe I need to produce them in anamorphic 16x9 format, from what
    > >I've read, but how do I accomplish that? What size would the initial
    > >media need to be?
    > >
    > >oj
    > Assuming the source is actually 16/9 and has the proper
    > aspect ratio I don;t think you need to do anything special.
    >

    > Mpg encoders like have a tmpgenc have a method to tell it
    > that the A/R of the source material is in a 16/9 ratio.
    > You also tell it you want 16/9 output. That should be enough.
    > The output is 720*480 (NTSC) or 720*576 (PAL) in any case,
    > anamorphic or not.
    > Dave

    Hi,

    Well, I've read a post that included something like this:

    I use Adobe Photo Deluxe 2.0 to make these. i design them in a 1.78:1
    ratio screen with a 5% black frame (for overscan): the "slide" is
    inside the black frame. I burn the files onto disc as a squished 4x3
    frame so my prog. scan dvd player and 16x9 HDTV unsquishes them again.

    So, that sort of made me want to ask exactly what was done. Because
    if they were 1.78 and squished to 1.33, then aren't you losing res on
    the unsquish?

    oj

Tuner Cards Desktops Burner Graphics