Audio Distortion

I have DV500, and with the analogue outputs to a video recorder, the sound
plays fine (through TV or headphones).
The VU Audo Mixer in Adobe Premiere 6.5 shows the audio always in the green
or yellow (not red).

When I create a DVD with the adobe mpeg encoder option in premiere, and play
on a dvd player (Panasonic DVD-RV32),
I get audio distortion on the TV or when played from the dvd to a mixer and
headphones.

The sound gets better if I decrease the volume with premiere's volume rubber
band thing,
but I would like an easy way to do it without keeping re-writing the dvd
with a lower volume until it's right
on the dvd. I don't want to reduce it too much or I could end up removing
the quieter sounds, etc.

So, is there an easy way in premiere or another program to say "reduce the
audio level till there's no dvd audio distortion"?

ask spock he`ll know!