Bytecc external drive enclosure

I'm having a problem with this external USB 2.0 drive enclosure with an XP
laptop.
The drive in the enclosure is a 40 gb Maxtor IDE.

The drive shows up in Device Manager as "functioning properly."
However, it does not show up in disk manager.
Under Device Manager, there is a "populate with volumes" tab.
When I tell XP to populate, it correctly identifies the size of the drive,
and gives the created volume as a 40 gb MBR!
However, it doesn't actually record this, as each time the volumes menu is
invoked, it's blank.

The drive is not visible at all from Drive manager. Hence, I cannot format
it.

The interface chip is a PL-2507. I'm not aware of who the maker is.

The drive is set as a master. I've done the obvious things, such as
uninstalling and rebooting.

???

I switched in a WD1000JB and it works fine.
Not sure what the problem was.

In article <U5mdnX67ZNpPNpjcRVn-rQ@comcast.com>,
"Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote:

> I switched in a WD1000JB and it works fine.
> Not sure what the problem was.
>
> "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > I'm having a problem with this external USB 2.0 drive enclosure with an XP
> > laptop.
> > The drive in the enclosure is a 40 gb Maxtor IDE.
> >
> > The drive shows up in Device Manager as "functioning properly."
> > However, it does not show up in disk manager.
> > Under Device Manager, there is a "populate with volumes" tab.
> > When I tell XP to populate, it correctly identifies the size of the drive,
> > and gives the created volume as a 40 gb MBR!
> > However, it doesn't actually record this, as each time the volumes menu is
> > invoked, it's blank.
> >
> > The drive is not visible at all from Drive manager. Hence, I cannot format
> > it.
> >
> > The interface chip is a PL-2507. I'm not aware of who the maker is.
> >
> > The drive is set as a master. I've done the obvious things, such as
> > uninstalling and rebooting.
> >
> > ???

It's that damn MTBF bugaboo

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:03:24 -0400, "Robert Morein"
<nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I'm having a problem with this external USB 2.0 drive enclosure with an XP
>laptop.
>The drive in the enclosure is a 40 gb Maxtor IDE.
>
>The drive shows up in Device Manager as "functioning properly."
>However, it does not show up in disk manager.
>Under Device Manager, there is a "populate with volumes" tab.
>When I tell XP to populate, it correctly identifies the size of the drive,
>and gives the created volume as a 40 gb MBR!
>However, it doesn't actually record this, as each time the volumes menu is
>invoked, it's blank.
>
>The drive is not visible at all from Drive manager. Hence, I cannot format
>it.
>
>The interface chip is a PL-2507. I'm not aware of who the maker is.
>
>The drive is set as a master. I've done the obvious things, such as
>uninstalling and rebooting.

Is there a chance that it is formatted already, in a format which
isn't recognized by XP? I ran into that, a drive formatted using the
Intel Application Accelerator (overlay) which, while readable when
hooked to the system IDE was not within the external device.

If that is the case, removing the partition (obviously in a machine
which recognizes it) might let it be used (you'll need a disk tool to
partition and format it; usually the drives come with them, there are
some on the net, the OS has some but XP hides them away from casual
users).

"Jeffery S. Jones" <jeffsj@execpc.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:03:24 -0400, "Robert Morein"
> <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm having a problem with this external USB 2.0 drive enclosure with an
XP
> >laptop.
> >The drive in the enclosure is a 40 gb Maxtor IDE.
> >
> >The drive shows up in Device Manager as "functioning properly."
> >However, it does not show up in disk manager.
> >Under Device Manager, there is a "populate with volumes" tab.
> >When I tell XP to populate, it correctly identifies the size of the
drive,
> >and gives the created volume as a 40 gb MBR!
> >However, it doesn't actually record this, as each time the volumes menu
is
> >invoked, it's blank.
> >
> >The drive is not visible at all from Drive manager. Hence, I cannot
format
> >it.
> >
> >The interface chip is a PL-2507. I'm not aware of who the maker is.
> >
> >The drive is set as a master. I've done the obvious things, such as
> >uninstalling and rebooting.
>
> Is there a chance that it is formatted already, in a format which
> isn't recognized by XP? I ran into that, a drive formatted using the
> Intel Application Accelerator (overlay) which, while readable when
> hooked to the system IDE was not within the external device.
>
> If that is the case, removing the partition (obviously in a machine
> which recognizes it) might let it be used (you'll need a disk tool to
> partition and format it; usually the drives come with them, there are
> some on the net, the OS has some but XP hides them away from casual
> users).

I think your explanation has some application.
The drive was formatted, possibly under Windows 2000, possibley with an MBR
(master boot record).
Although 2000 disks are compatible with XP, this may have confused the code.
I'll reformat it and try it again.