Panoramic photos with a digital camera

I have a Sony DSC-P41 digital camera. Just recently, a relative
stopped by and showed me some panoramic (widescreen) photos she snapped with
a standard film camera. That got me wondering whether my camera could do
that. I checked Sony's tech support website, and found this info:

<<The digital still camera is not capable of producing a panoramic image or
photo.
NOTE: Third-party hardware and software solution are available to create
panoramic scenes.>>

Any idea which software programs they're referring to?
9 answers Last reply
More about panoramic photos digital camera

    History Fan wrote:
    > I have a Sony DSC-P41 digital camera. Just recently, a relative
    > stopped by and showed me some panoramic (widescreen) photos she snapped with
    > a standard film camera. That got me wondering whether my camera could do
    > that. I checked Sony's tech support website, and found this info:
    >
    > <<The digital still camera is not capable of producing a panoramic image or
    > photo.
    > NOTE: Third-party hardware and software solution are available to create
    > panoramic scenes.>>
    >
    > Any idea which software programs they're referring to?

    A panoramic photo is made from a standard camera simply by selecting out a strip across the middle of the negative, and
    printing it on a wide photo paper. You can do the equivalent with an imge file from a digital camera, with most image
    editing programs. Even better, uou can take a series of duigital photos across a scene, then join them into a single file.
    Several image editing programs allow you to do that. Olympus cameras come with a program on the memory card to facilitate
    the process. I never use it; I prefer to do it with Paint Shop Pro, my favorite image editor.

    Some cameras such as various Kodak models, come with a scale and stitch
    together function that allows you to build a panoramic picture. My Olympus
    has the function built into the camera, which I've never used.

    "History Fan" <IReALLYHaTESPam@IReallYHATESPAM.com> wrote in message
    > I have a Sony DSC-P41 digital camera. Just recently, a relative
    > stopped by and showed me some panoramic (widescreen) photos she snapped
    > with a standard film camera. That got me wondering whether my camera
    > could do that. I checked Sony's tech support website, and found this
    > info:
    >
    > <<The digital still camera is not capable of producing a panoramic image
    > or photo.
    > NOTE: Third-party hardware and software solution are available to create
    > panoramic scenes.>>
    >
    > Any idea which software programs they're referring to?

    Panoramic pictures are made by taking a series of pictures and then
    stitching them with software into a wide strip of 2 or more images.

    This is maybe the easiest to use.
    http://www.panoramafactory.com/

    Panorama Tools
    http://home.no.net/dmaurer/~dersch/Index.htm

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    Panavue?
    http://www.panavue.com/index.htm
    Check out the samples.

    "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message

    > "History Fan" <IReALLYHaTESPam@IReallYHATESPAM.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a Sony DSC-P41 digital camera. Just recently, a relative
    > > stopped by and showed me some panoramic (widescreen) photos she snapped
    > > with a standard film camera. That got me wondering whether my camera
    > > could do that. I checked Sony's tech support website, and found this
    > > info:
    > >
    > > <<The digital still camera is not capable of producing a panoramic image
    > > or photo.
    > > NOTE: Third-party hardware and software solution are available to create
    > > panoramic scenes.>>
    > >
    > > Any idea which software programs they're referring to?
    > >

    > Panoramic pictures are made by taking a series of pictures and then
    > stitching them with software into a wide strip of 2 or more images.
    >
    > This is maybe the easiest to use.
    > http://www.panoramafactory.com/
    >
    > Panorama Tools
    > http://home.no.net/dmaurer/~dersch/Index.htm
    >
    > --
    > CSM1
    > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > --

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    True as far as it goes. The panoramic function on my Oly locks the settings
    between the exposures that make up the panorama. This simplifies the stitch
    to gether software function.

    "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message

    > "History Fan" <IReALLYHaTESPam@IReallYHATESPAM.com> wrote in message
    >> I have a Sony DSC-P41 digital camera. Just recently, a relative
    >> stopped by and showed me some panoramic (widescreen) photos she snapped
    >> with a standard film camera. That got me wondering whether my camera
    >> could do that. I checked Sony's tech support website, and found this
    >> info:
    >>
    >> <<The digital still camera is not capable of producing a panoramic image
    >> or photo.
    >> NOTE: Third-party hardware and software solution are available to create
    >> panoramic scenes.>>
    >>
    >> Any idea which software programs they're referring to?
    >>

    > Panoramic pictures are made by taking a series of pictures and then
    > stitching them with software into a wide strip of 2 or more images.
    >
    > This is maybe the easiest to use.
    > http://www.panoramafactory.com/
    >
    > Panorama Tools
    > http://home.no.net/dmaurer/~dersch/Index.htm
    >
    > --
    > CSM1
    > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > --

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    The Panoramic function in Olympus digital cameras only works with the
    Olympus Media cards. and the Olympus supplied Camedia software.

    The other programs do not require the Olympus Media card, You lock the
    exposure on the first frame of the Panorama and overlap each frame about 10
    percent.

    The other Panorama programs will work with just about any camera or media.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    "Chuck" <cdkuder@nspmmsn.com> wrote in message
    > True as far as it goes. The panoramic function on my Oly locks the
    > settings between the exposures that make up the panorama. This simplifies
    > the stitch to gether software function.
    >
    > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "History Fan" <IReALLYHaTESPam@IReallYHATESPAM.com> wrote in message
    >>> I have a Sony DSC-P41 digital camera. Just recently, a relative
    >>> stopped by and showed me some panoramic (widescreen) photos she snapped
    >>> with a standard film camera. That got me wondering whether my camera
    >>> could do that. I checked Sony's tech support website, and found this
    >>> info:
    >>>
    >>> <<The digital still camera is not capable of producing a panoramic image
    >>> or photo.
    >>> NOTE: Third-party hardware and software solution are available to create
    >>> panoramic scenes.>>
    >>>
    >>> Any idea which software programs they're referring to?
    >>>

    >> Panoramic pictures are made by taking a series of pictures and then
    >> stitching them with software into a wide strip of 2 or more images.
    >>
    >> This is maybe the easiest to use.
    >> http://www.panoramafactory.com/
    >>
    >> Panorama Tools
    >> http://home.no.net/dmaurer/~dersch/Index.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> CSM1
    >> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    >> --

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Oly did something that I consider fairly "Un-Nice". It seems that they want
    t sell you the "extra" software ability to stitch together ordinary shots
    taken in non panoramic modes. I hate crippled software. Since the price of
    the software is not a significant part of the more expensive cameras, I
    would suggest that it be included with the camera.

    > The Panoramic function in Olympus digital cameras only works with the
    > Olympus Media cards. and the Olympus supplied Camedia software.
    >
    > The other programs do not require the Olympus Media card, You lock the
    > exposure on the first frame of the Panorama and overlap each frame about
    > 10 percent.
    >
    > The other Panorama programs will work with just about any camera or media.
    >
    > --
    > CSM1
    > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > --
    > "Chuck" <cdkuder@nspmmsn.com> wrote in message
    >> True as far as it goes. The panoramic function on my Oly locks the
    >> settings between the exposures that make up the panorama. This simplifies
    >> the stitch to gether software function.
    >>
    >> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "History Fan" <IReALLYHaTESPam@IReallYHATESPAM.com> wrote in message

    >>> Panoramic pictures are made by taking a series of pictures and then
    >>> stitching them with software into a wide strip of 2 or more images.
    >>>
    >>> This is maybe the easiest to use.
    >>> http://www.panoramafactory.com/
    >>>
    >>> Panorama Tools
    >>> http://home.no.net/dmaurer/~dersch/Index.htm
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> CSM1
    >>> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    >>> --

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    I think adobe photoshop elements has panoramn
    dale
    On 1/16/05 10:37 AM, in article hLwGd.21717$ql2.15660@okepread04, "Chuck"
    <cdkuder@nspmmsn.com> wrote:

    > True as far as it goes. The panoramic function on my Oly locks the settings
    > between the exposures that make up the panorama. This simplifies the stitch
    > to gether software function.
    >
    > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "History Fan" <IReALLYHaTESPam@IReallYHATESPAM.com> wrote in message
    >>> I have a Sony DSC-P41 digital camera. Just recently, a relative
    >>> stopped by and showed me some panoramic (widescreen) photos she snapped
    >>> with a standard film camera. That got me wondering whether my camera
    >>> could do that. I checked Sony's tech support website, and found this
    >>> info:
    >>>
    >>> <<The digital still camera is not capable of producing a panoramic image
    >>> or photo.
    >>> NOTE: Third-party hardware and software solution are available to create
    >>> panoramic scenes.>>
    >>>
    >>> Any idea which software programs they're referring to?
    >>>

    >> Panoramic pictures are made by taking a series of pictures and then
    >> stitching them with software into a wide strip of 2 or more images.
    >>
    >> This is maybe the easiest to use.
    >> http://www.panoramafactory.com/
    >>
    >> Panorama Tools
    >> http://home.no.net/dmaurer/~dersch/Index.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> CSM1
    >> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    >> --

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    I would hope so for the asking price!
    My old Canon S750 printer included a somewhat clumsy to use "stitcher" that
    works.

    "yonzie" <yonzie@mac.com> wrote in message
    >I think adobe photoshop elements has panoramn
    > dale
    > On 1/16/05 10:37 AM, in article hLwGd.21717$ql2.15660@okepread04, "Chuck"
    > <cdkuder@nspmmsn.com> wrote:
    >
    >> True as far as it goes. The panoramic function on my Oly locks the
    >> settings
    >> between the exposures that make up the panorama. This simplifies the
    >> stitch
    >> to gether software function.
    >>
    >> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "History Fan" <IReALLYHaTESPam@IReallYHATESPAM.com> wrote in message

    >>> Panoramic pictures are made by taking a series of pictures and then
    >>> stitching them with software into a wide strip of 2 or more images.
    >>>
    >>> This is maybe the easiest to use.
    >>> http://www.panoramafactory.com/
    >>>
    >>> Panorama Tools
    >>> http://home.no.net/dmaurer/~dersch/Index.htm