Panoramic photos with a digital camera

I have a Sony DSC-P41 digital camera. Just recently, a relative
stopped by and showed me some panoramic (widescreen) photos she snapped with
a standard film camera. That got me wondering whether my camera could do
that. I checked Sony's tech support website, and found this info:

<<The digital still camera is not capable of producing a panoramic image or
photo.
NOTE: Third-party hardware and software solution are available to create
panoramic scenes.>>

Any idea which software programs they're referring to?

Marvin

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

History Fan wrote:
> I have a Sony DSC-P41 digital camera. Just recently, a relative
> stopped by and showed me some panoramic (widescreen) photos she snapped with
> a standard film camera. That got me wondering whether my camera could do
> that. I checked Sony's tech support website, and found this info:
>
> <<The digital still camera is not capable of producing a panoramic image or
> photo.
> NOTE: Third-party hardware and software solution are available to create
> panoramic scenes.>>
>
> Any idea which software programs they're referring to?

A panoramic photo is made from a standard camera simply by selecting out a strip across the middle of the negative, and
printing it on a wide photo paper. You can do the equivalent with an imge file from a digital camera, with most image
editing programs. Even better, uou can take a series of duigital photos across a scene, then join them into a single file.
Several image editing programs allow you to do that. Olympus cameras come with a program on the memory card to facilitate
the process. I never use it; I prefer to do it with Paint Shop Pro, my favorite image editor.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Some cameras such as various Kodak models, come with a scale and stitch
together function that allows you to build a panoramic picture. My Olympus
has the function built into the camera, which I've never used.

"History Fan" <IReALLYHaTESPam@IReallYHATESPAM.com> wrote in message
> I have a Sony DSC-P41 digital camera. Just recently, a relative
> stopped by and showed me some panoramic (widescreen) photos she snapped
> with a standard film camera. That got me wondering whether my camera
> could do that. I checked Sony's tech support website, and found this
> info:
>
> <<The digital still camera is not capable of producing a panoramic image
> or photo.
> NOTE: Third-party hardware and software solution are available to create
> panoramic scenes.>>
>
> Any idea which software programs they're referring to?

Panoramic pictures are made by taking a series of pictures and then
stitching them with software into a wide strip of 2 or more images.

This is maybe the easiest to use.
http://www.panoramafactory.com/

Panorama Tools
http://home.no.net/dmaurer/~dersch/Index.htm

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Panavue?
http://www.panavue.com/index.htm
Check out the samples.

"CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message

> "History Fan" <IReALLYHaTESPam@IReallYHATESPAM.com> wrote in message
> > I have a Sony DSC-P41 digital camera. Just recently, a relative
> > stopped by and showed me some panoramic (widescreen) photos she snapped
> > with a standard film camera. That got me wondering whether my camera
> > could do that. I checked Sony's tech support website, and found this
> > info:
> >
> > <<The digital still camera is not capable of producing a panoramic image
> > or photo.
> > NOTE: Third-party hardware and software solution are available to create
> > panoramic scenes.>>
> >
> > Any idea which software programs they're referring to?
> >

> Panoramic pictures are made by taking a series of pictures and then
> stitching them with software into a wide strip of 2 or more images.
>
> This is maybe the easiest to use.
> http://www.panoramafactory.com/
>
> Panorama Tools
> http://home.no.net/dmaurer/~dersch/Index.htm
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> --

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

True as far as it goes. The panoramic function on my Oly locks the settings
between the exposures that make up the panorama. This simplifies the stitch
to gether software function.

"CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message

> "History Fan" <IReALLYHaTESPam@IReallYHATESPAM.com> wrote in message
>> I have a Sony DSC-P41 digital camera. Just recently, a relative
>> stopped by and showed me some panoramic (widescreen) photos she snapped
>> with a standard film camera. That got me wondering whether my camera
>> could do that. I checked Sony's tech support website, and found this
>> info:
>>
>> <<The digital still camera is not capable of producing a panoramic image
>> or photo.
>> NOTE: Third-party hardware and software solution are available to create
>> panoramic scenes.>>
>>
>> Any idea which software programs they're referring to?
>>

> Panoramic pictures are made by taking a series of pictures and then
> stitching them with software into a wide strip of 2 or more images.
>
> This is maybe the easiest to use.
> http://www.panoramafactory.com/
>
> Panorama Tools
> http://home.no.net/dmaurer/~dersch/Index.htm
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com

The Panoramic function in Olympus digital cameras only works with the
Olympus Media cards. and the Olympus supplied Camedia software.

The other programs do not require the Olympus Media card, You lock the
exposure on the first frame of the Panorama and overlap each frame about 10
percent.

The other Panorama programs will work with just about any camera or media.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
"Chuck" <cdkuder@nspmmsn.com> wrote in message
> True as far as it goes. The panoramic function on my Oly locks the
> settings between the exposures that make up the panorama. This simplifies
> the stitch to gether software function.
>
> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "History Fan" <IReALLYHaTESPam@IReallYHATESPAM.com> wrote in message
>>> I have a Sony DSC-P41 digital camera. Just recently, a relative
>>> stopped by and showed me some panoramic (widescreen) photos she snapped
>>> with a standard film camera. That got me wondering whether my camera
>>> could do that. I checked Sony's tech support website, and found this
>>> info:
>>>
>>> <<The digital still camera is not capable of producing a panoramic image
>>> or photo.
>>> NOTE: Third-party hardware and software solution are available to create
>>> panoramic scenes.>>
>>>
>>> Any idea which software programs they're referring to?
>>>

>> Panoramic pictures are made by taking a series of pictures and then
>> stitching them with software into a wide strip of 2 or more images.
>>
>> This is maybe the easiest to use.
>> http://www.panoramafactory.com/
>>
>> Panorama Tools
>> http://home.no.net/dmaurer/~dersch/Index.htm
>>
>> --
>> CSM1
>> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
>> --

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Oly did something that I consider fairly "Un-Nice". It seems that they want
t sell you the "extra" software ability to stitch together ordinary shots
taken in non panoramic modes. I hate crippled software. Since the price of
the software is not a significant part of the more expensive cameras, I
would suggest that it be included with the camera.

> The Panoramic function in Olympus digital cameras only works with the
> Olympus Media cards. and the Olympus supplied Camedia software.
>
> The other programs do not require the Olympus Media card, You lock the
> exposure on the first frame of the Panorama and overlap each frame about
> 10 percent.
>
> The other Panorama programs will work with just about any camera or media.
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> --
> "Chuck" <cdkuder@nspmmsn.com> wrote in message
>> True as far as it goes. The panoramic function on my Oly locks the
>> settings between the exposures that make up the panorama. This simplifies
>> the stitch to gether software function.
>>
>> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "History Fan" <IReALLYHaTESPam@IReallYHATESPAM.com> wrote in message

>>> Panoramic pictures are made by taking a series of pictures and then
>>> stitching them with software into a wide strip of 2 or more images.
>>>
>>> This is maybe the easiest to use.
>>> http://www.panoramafactory.com/
>>>
>>> Panorama Tools
>>> http://home.no.net/dmaurer/~dersch/Index.htm
>>>
>>> --
>>> CSM1
>>> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
>>> --

I think adobe photoshop elements has panoramn
dale
On 1/16/05 10:37 AM, in article hLwGd.21717$ql2.15660@okepread04, "Chuck"
<cdkuder@nspmmsn.com> wrote:

> True as far as it goes. The panoramic function on my Oly locks the settings
> between the exposures that make up the panorama. This simplifies the stitch
> to gether software function.
>
> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "History Fan" <IReALLYHaTESPam@IReallYHATESPAM.com> wrote in message
>>> I have a Sony DSC-P41 digital camera. Just recently, a relative
>>> stopped by and showed me some panoramic (widescreen) photos she snapped
>>> with a standard film camera. That got me wondering whether my camera
>>> could do that. I checked Sony's tech support website, and found this
>>> info:
>>>
>>> <<The digital still camera is not capable of producing a panoramic image
>>> or photo.
>>> NOTE: Third-party hardware and software solution are available to create
>>> panoramic scenes.>>
>>>
>>> Any idea which software programs they're referring to?
>>>

>> Panoramic pictures are made by taking a series of pictures and then
>> stitching them with software into a wide strip of 2 or more images.
>>
>> This is maybe the easiest to use.
>> http://www.panoramafactory.com/
>>
>> Panorama Tools
>> http://home.no.net/dmaurer/~dersch/Index.htm
>>
>> --
>> CSM1
>> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
>> --

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

I would hope so for the asking price!
My old Canon S750 printer included a somewhat clumsy to use "stitcher" that
works.