Software for video editing in "lip sync"

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 28, 2004 9:03:52 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

I am not an expert, so sorry if my explanation is not so good.

I have captured a drama in a theatre with 3 cameras; now I would like
to make a unique video, taking the soundtrack from only 1 camera and
the best video from camera 1, 2 or 3 depending on the scene; I think
this is called editing in "lip sync" or something like that. Is there
a software that does such a thing?
I mean: I synchronize "manually" the 3 videos trimming the starting
instant (for example using a particulare movement on the scene or a
word spelled by an actor); then, on the PC screen 3 windows with one
video each appear and I can play, go back and forward, stop and all 3
videos run in sync; in real time, during play back, I can choose among
video 1, 2 and 3 and display what it is happeninig in a sort of "final
result" window.
I can use Windows (any version) or Linux; it would be great if the
software is free (what about Cinelerra and other video editing
software for Linux)?
No problem with video formats supported; I think I can easily convert
from one format to another one. Actually I have a Pinnacle DC 10 plus
but it is not mandatory for the software to support this board.

Thanks to everybody
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 5:47:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

There are plug-ins that assist with multicam editing, but they aren't cheap,
nor are the programs they plug into. One way of doing it is by a process
of elimination. Usually one of your cameras is a wide shot of the whole
stage. It is mostly usable, and mostly pretty uninteresting.

So put the boring wide shot on the timeline and your other 2 shots on
higher tracks of the timeline. Align the tracks to match in time (the audio
waveforms are usually the most useful for this). Then start cutting away
the unusable footage from the two upper tracks. Keep whittling away at
it until you are happy with the result.

This has been covered here before. Try googling on editing multicam
and read what you find.

David
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 6:11:35 AM

>like
>to make a unique video, taking the soundtrack from only 1 camera and
>the best video from camera 1, 2 or 3 depending on the scene;

Vegas software does great with multi-cam editing. Not much more money than
just the price of the multicam plug-in for other NLE programs.

Craig H.
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 4:52:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

Yes, there is software for this and it is free! It's your brain!!
Put the video with your primary audio on V-1. Put the other two cameras on
V-2 and V-3. Find your first audio, or first music, word,etc. on V-1. Call
that sync. Go to V-2 then V-3 and find the same sync udio. Drag it directly
above the sync in V-1 and viola! you've got it! As you edit switch video
between V-1,2, and 3 as you like always using the audio from V-1. Ease will
depend on your editing software and your patience.

--
Best regards,
Craig Scheiner

!