XBOX LIVE, Routers, Switches, etc

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
Hullo Everyone,

So you're a closet video game junkie, like me. You have a 32inch JVC TV, and 21 inch monitor, PC, XBOX, and PS2 in your bed room! The chicks love you (lie!), your room generates magnetic fields, and you live what little kids would ascribe "the good life".

Well, what do you use to hook up all this stuff to your cable modem?

You've got Optimum Online, which you love. You've got the modem plugged directly into your NIC. Now you wanna hook up your XBOX, PS2, and laptop.

Should you sell-out and get a crappy hub? Should you get a router? Should you get a wireless or even a router w/switch?

What the heck does a router witha switch do that a regular router can't?

How would you network this hardware paradise (a.k.a. Women's Bane)? Smokey needs your help!

<font color=purple><i>Smokey McPot - Your Baby's Daddy</i></font color=purple>

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would just get a router. Most router have build in switch so different computers can communicate with each other and connect to internet.

casiowatch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
a router w/ a switch provides you normal router capabilities along with the LAN (file sharing ...) capabilities of a switch, <b>BUT WITH LESS HARDWARE</b>. You don't need an extra switch to connect those computers to the internet.

I don't know if XBOX and PS2 can be used with routers. Check out their websites. But if you want to add an extra computer to your network a router with a switch is the best option to go for.
-----
<b>All the world's problems can be solved through COMMON SENSE<b>

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
Thanks for the help guys! I'll order the router w/switch ASAP.

<font color=purple><i>Smokey McPot - Your Baby's Daddy</i></font color=purple>