Win 7 and Win 8 on same PC DISASTER!!!!

brezza

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Hello to all....

The very weird and unexpected thing happened to me.....

I have one SDD with Win7 x64 installed, one more HDD, and one pair of HDDs in raid mode with Win7 x64 installed just for gaming……
So, I decided to install on one new empty HDD drive Win8 x 64 just to look it explore etc…..
I unplugged all drives and started to install Win8. Everything was finished fine. Then I plugged all drives back…I was able to boot every system (F12 boot menu) and everything looks good.

Tomorrow, I started to boot PC (Win7 on SSD is default to boot) and then windows started to check disks for consistency….. nothing strange I thought….finished ok and I was in Win7.
I was also able to boot into other Win7 and Win8 too. But after restarting from Win8 (wanted to start Win7 on SSD) windows started to checks drive for consistency again….The same thing happened a few times, sometimes it checked all disk sometimes some of them, finding some errors and fixing….
Tomorrow, same story!!! And so on…same same same!!!!!!!

Checking for consistency never stops except when I unplug HDD with Win8 or do not boot into Win8!!!!!!!!
And today my system on raid HDDs is messed up totally!!!!

I am very surprised with this…used earlier other windows on different drives…never had even similar problems…

Any ideas, thoughts???!?!!?

Regards, Brezza

this is a guess but maybe two disks both marked with or as the active boot partition? raid controller driver not installed on both OS, Raid controller configured differently between the OS versions?

run diskpart.exe
list disk
select disk 0
attributes disk
detail disk
select disk 1
attributes disk
detail disk

you can also select the partitions and display the details.

brezza

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

I have installed all systems by unpluging other disks....so SSD with Win7, RAID with Win7..and tried Win8 on other disk....
So all disks with instlled win have a boot, active, partition ......
All systems have installed raid driver of course and all other drivers....same hardware same config....

Yes, I understand how you set it up. I was just looking to see if the OS understood what you wanted or if it made a silent change. Which is why I suggested diskpart.exe to check what the OS thinks your configuration currently is.

-If the OS is checking for data consistancy it is because of an detected error condition.

-It could be in the firmware of the drives( the SSD, the HDD) the firmware of the controller, a bug in the cache logic in the SSD or HDD. Sometimes a flush to disk is not reported back to the OS (bugs in the cache of the drive, often you can turn off lazy writes for the device to make them flush the data to disk)

use fsutil.exe as a admin in cmd.exe
fsutil.exe dirty query c: (or each of your drives to see if they are marked dirty)

- if the file system drive is marked dirty, maybe boot in safe mode and run the check disk repair to clear the bit and reboot.

run these lines in powershell look for ConfigManagerErrorCode
if you got one (other than zero)

$k = Get-WmiObject -class Win32_diskDrive
$k
$k.Item(0) | fl *
$k.Item(1) | fl *

$x=get-wmiObject -class Win32_Volume
$x

brezza

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
thanks for your posts...

I had to remove drive with win8 because its finaly messed up win system on raid volume....and just thinking what could be a reason and what to try next...its very strange...i done it earlier with xp and vista, xp and w7, and with earlier versions ,,,,never happened anything like this....

-actually I tried a few times to setup win8, first on my older hdd, then on my brothers ssd....i even changed sata ports to connect that drive...but it was always the same stories....everything was ok until i entered into win 8-then after reboot (ssd win7 is default) win 7 ic checking sometimes some drives sometimes all and sometimes none!!!! but after a cold boot it always check all drives and "fixing" somethig....

- you are right about bugs...they are everywhere, hdd, sdd, wi, mobo..... but this is so unexpectable
- checked earlier for dirty bit but nothing ... run chkdsk /f for all drives but othing....

I have a lot of experience with PCs and still i am very confused....

ya, that was why I looked up the calls to find and dump the info and error codes that the OS has for your drive. To get at why it thinks your drive should be marked dirty. I have Isolated problems like this even from dust collecting on a cache memory chip and shorting two address lines together. It takes a lot of time most people just give up.

brezza

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
so....maybe i need to check my drives again for dirty mark...(win7, both systems work properly...no consistency check ever ) and if they are...what then?
remove dirty bit and try again?????

brezza

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Maybe this could be a solution:

Windows 8 is designed to close and reopen by faster booting (Hybrid Boot), it has left your system in a hibernated state, with the drives mounted, open and ready to take off as soon as Windows 8 restarts. When a drive is mounted, a little piece of data is written to a standard place on the disk to show it is in use - it is called the "dirty bit".

This means that the "dirty bit" on the disks that Windows 7 checks on startup is showing on the disks. And then, chkdsk is automatically run to check the integrity of the disks with the "dirty bit" set. Please check the following settings.

1. Control Panel -> Power Plan
2. Select "Choose what the power button does" on left hand side.
3. Click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable".
4. Uncheck "Turn on fast startup" under shutdown settings.

So, I am going to install win8 again on separate drive and try....

Same problem on my laptop. Had win 7 on SSD0. disconnected and installed SSD1 in Bay 2 and installed win 8 beta. Whenever I booted win 8 then booted back to win 7 the Win 7 would find, & fix disk error. So yes, thinking that win8 is writing to where it shouldn't on win 7 disk. Not sure on how to stop. Took the beta win8 off and thru disk in trask. Bought win8 pro, installed as an upgrade to a 3rd SSD that I can swap in/out (win7 SSD/Win 8 SSD) of laptop

I run both Win8 (CP then RTM) with Win7 on a different disk.

The only problem I had was that with all disks installed, when i told Win8 to install to my SSD it took over the Win7 boot loader(so now if i have a problem, Win7's own boot diagnostics will not work) so I still need the Win7 SSD installed in the system to boot 8.

Other then that, it seemed to work ok. I had the quick boot and hibernation both turned off because my Win8 SSD was on the small side(64gigabytes).