media player for browsing quickly through video file

I'd like to find a video player that lets me scroll quickly through an AVI,
MPG, etc. file, using the scroll bar (scrubber) at the bottom, and see and
hear the contents of the video as I scroll.

Tried Windows Media Player, Real Player, ATI Multimedia Center File player -
the image is frozen while I move the scrubber, and no new image appears
until I have finished moving the scrubber. Therefore, I have no idea what
video was in between the start/finish of the scrubber move. No good.

Pinnacle Studio 8 - the video changes as I move the scrubber, but the
preview window is too small.

Virtual Dub - ALMOST what I want. The video changes as I move the scrubber,
but there is I don't hear any audio.

Spoon2001 wrote:

> I'd like to find a video player that lets me scroll quickly through
> an AVI, MPG, etc. file, using the scroll bar (scrubber) at the
> bottom, and see and hear the contents of the video as I scroll.
>
> Tried Windows Media Player, Real Player, ATI Multimedia Center File
> player - the image is frozen while I move the scrubber, and no new
> image appears until I have finished moving the scrubber. [...]
> Virtual Dub - ALMOST what I want. The video changes as I move the
> scrubber, but there is I don't hear any audio.

As you have already noticed, most of the popular video players have
a pathetic, inaccurate, no-good, nasty little scrubber thingy. (I
guess the authors of these players just do not know how to make it
work right, or they do not actually play videos using their own
software.)

The only good video player - scrubbing-wise - seems to be Inmatrix's
Zoom Player. It has a real scrubber (you can point, click and scrub
anywhere on the timeline, and the video instantly jumps there)
instead of an office-application style slider knob (which must be
separately pointed and dragged to the place you want to view.):

<http://www.inmatrix.com/files/zoomplayer_download.shtml>

--
znark