Encore / DVD Architect / How to burn DVD with no menus?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 28, 2004 4:37:07 PM

I have been working for days editing several hours of
my family NTSC DV video (that I shot with my Sony
TRV900) using Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5.

Now I learn that I can't burn to DVD using Premiere, as
the program experiences many problems that seem
to be "normal" for some people in the Adobe forum.
It was recommended that I use other DVD software (not
Premiere) to burn the finished work, as Premiere -they say-
has not a polished burning engine to make it work
as it should (unbelievable for such an expensive and top
ranked piece of software!).

I have tried exporting my work in AVI and MPG format,
ant later burning using Nero, but I'm not happy with the
final DVD picture quality I get. Images appear as
they were over-compressed and with poor resolution,
when comparing with the original DV ones (I'm
burning just an hour of material in each DVD).

My question is:

I have also installed DVD Architect 2.0 and Adobe
Encore DVD 1.5, but I'm not familiar with these programs
yet as I have installed them just recently.
Is there an easy way to use them to burn the exported projects
I have been building in Premiere Pro without having to go through
all the complicated procedures of building menus and buttons
that I do not need?

What is the easiest procedure to just import an AVI
or MPG file into Encore or DVD Architect to burn
to a DVD-R with no menus, buttons, etc ?

Any other (better or recommended) software to use to
achieve a decent picture quality DVD?

I have tried using the Nero "double pass VBR" setting
before burning, but still the quality is not good
enough.

I'll appreciate any help regarding this matter.

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 10:16:50 PM

Paul wrote:
> I have been working for days editing several hours of
> my family NTSC DV video (that I shot with my Sony
> TRV900) using Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5.
>
> Now I learn that I can't burn to DVD using Premiere, as
> the program experiences many problems that seem
> to be "normal" for some people in the Adobe forum.

Paul, you do understand that the Premiere/Encore combo is like the Vegas/DVD
Architect combo, right? One is the editing app (Premiere/Vegas) and the
other (Encore/DVD Architect) is the DVD authoring app. As such , they're
two completely separate programs.

> It was recommended that I use other DVD software (not
> Premiere) to burn the finished work, as Premiere -they say-
> has not a polished burning engine to make it work
> as it should (unbelievable for such an expensive and top
> ranked piece of software!).

See explanation above.

> I have tried exporting my work in AVI and MPG format,
> ant later burning using Nero, but I'm not happy with the
> final DVD picture quality I get. Images appear as
> they were over-compressed and with poor resolution,
> when comparing with the original DV ones (I'm
> burning just an hour of material in each DVD).
>
> My question is:
>
> I have also installed DVD Architect 2.0 and Adobe
> Encore DVD 1.5, but I'm not familiar with these programs
> yet as I have installed them just recently.
> Is there an easy way to use them to burn the exported projects
> I have been building in Premiere Pro without having to go through
> all the complicated procedures of building menus and buttons
> that I do not need?
>
> What is the easiest procedure to just import an AVI
> or MPG file into Encore or DVD Architect to burn
> to a DVD-R with no menus, buttons, etc ?

Since you already have Premiere, you really should try and get up to speed
with Encore as it is an Adobe app and will be better integrated with
Premiere.

I've never used Encore so I'll deal with DVD Architect here.
BTW, you can download the DVD Architect manual for free from the Sony site
at http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/download/step2.as...
When you're finished editing your family video, try to export it as separate
video (MPEG2) and audio (AC3) files as this is what DVD Architect prefers.
It can handle a finished AVI but will transcode it back to MPEG2 and AC3 so
start with those if you can.
Start DVD Architect and go "File - New - Single Movie". Accept whatever the
default settings are (typically NTSC (720X480) for video and AC-3 Stereo for
the audio).
Then "Insert - Media", browse to the folder where your finished video is and
select it. You should see the first frame of the video as well as the clip
title on the screen in the centre of your display.
Now go "Make DVD - Prepare DVD". If you get an "Optimize" warning, just
ignore it. This just means that you used something other than the
recommended files (such as an AVI) and it has to convert it for you.
Keep selecting "Next" until you come to the "Prepare folder" window. Make
sure you put this into a brand new folder (create one called "My Family
Video, for example). This is where the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders will
be created.
Once this is done, use Nero and burn these 2 folders onto your blank DVD as
a data disk. This can be done in DVD Architect but it's list of supported
drives is not as up to date as it should be, hence the recommendation for
doing this in Nero.
Hope this gives you something to go on.

Mike

!