Recommendation for video capture with sound please

Hi,

I have an older Conexant chipset PCI video capture card with an RCA jack
video input. Could somebody recommend a full-featured trial/free
sotware title that will capture sound from my Soundcard's LINE IN jack
along with the video signal? I want to record from my VCR's tuner and
get the sound as well. I would prefer MPEG I or II so I can convert to
VCD later.

Thanks,

AB

A B <ab@example.org> wrote:

>I have an older Conexant chipset PCI video capture card with an RCA jack
>video input. Could somebody recommend a full-featured trial/free
>sotware title that will capture sound from my Soundcard's LINE IN jack
>along with the video signal? I want to record from my VCR's tuner and
>get the sound as well. I would prefer MPEG I or II so I can convert to
>VCD later.

AVI_IO is good for capturing. It will keep the audio and video in
sync; you're likely to have trouble with that if you capture with
other programs. TMPGEnc is good for MPEG encoding; if all you need is
MPEG1 (that's what VCDs use), then I don't think you ever have to pay
for it.

DeepOne@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> A B <ab@example.org> wrote:
>
>>I have an older Conexant chipset PCI video capture card with an RCA jack
>>video input. Could somebody recommend a full-featured trial/free
>>sotware title that will capture sound from my Soundcard's LINE IN jack
>>along with the video signal? I want to record from my VCR's tuner and
>>get the sound as well. I would prefer MPEG I or II so I can convert to
>>VCD later.
>
> AVI_IO is good for capturing. It will keep the audio and video in
> sync; you're likely to have trouble with that if you capture with
> other programs. TMPGEnc is good for MPEG encoding; if all you need is
> MPEG1 (that's what VCDs use), then I don't think you ever have to pay
> for it.

Thank you. Now for my next question: what do I look for on the box of a
player that will indicate it will play VCDs? I bought a Zenith player
yesterday, thinking it would play VCDs, and now I don't think it will.
It indicated in the manual it would play *audio* files on CD-R/CD-RW.
Obviously, I need it to play a VCD on a CD-R, and preferrably a CD-RW.
It would not recognize MP3 files on a CD-RW but would recognize them on
CD-R, so I already have my doubts about it. I thought it was a
no-brainer in 2004 that any new player would play VCDs from CD-R at the
least.

"steve Wilcox" <stevegwilcox@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>You could try here . . . http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

And when you have your eye on a specific model, you should also check
the manufacturer's website to see what they say about it. I would
recommend a Pioneer player.

<DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> "steve Wilcox" <stevegwilcox@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >You could try here . . . http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
>
> And when you have your eye on a specific model, you should also check
> the manufacturer's website to see what they say about it. I would
> recommend a Pioneer player.

My observation is that the manufacturers (particularly the
major ones) rarely publish information about ability to play
the non-mainstream disk formats. Frequently this is because
they actually WON'T play them, but even when they do, it is
not mentioned in the official published information.

The videohelp list is where I go to learn the capabilities of
various models. Some of us have been known to print out a
hard copy of the list to take with us while shopping at Costco,
etc. The info on the box (or the vendor's website) is usually
not reliable as a complete listing.

Redfox

"A B" <ab@example.org> wrote in message news:2mv5u3Fqcha0U1@uni-berlin.de...
> DeepOne@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> > A B <ab@example.org> wrote:
> >
> >>I have an older Conexant chipset PCI video capture card with an RCA jack
> >>video input. Could somebody recommend a full-featured trial/free
> >>sotware title that will capture sound from my Soundcard's LINE IN jack
> >>along with the video signal? I want to record from my VCR's tuner and
> >>get the sound as well. I would prefer MPEG I or II so I can convert to
> >>VCD later.
> >
> > AVI_IO is good for capturing. It will keep the audio and video in
> > sync; you're likely to have trouble with that if you capture with
> > other programs. TMPGEnc is good for MPEG encoding; if all you need is
> > MPEG1 (that's what VCDs use), then I don't think you ever have to pay
> > for it.
>
> Thank you. Now for my next question: what do I look for on the box of a
> player that will indicate it will play VCDs? I bought a Zenith player
> yesterday, thinking it would play VCDs, and now I don't think it will.
> It indicated in the manual it would play *audio* files on CD-R/CD-RW.
> Obviously, I need it to play a VCD on a CD-R, and preferrably a CD-RW.
> It would not recognize MP3 files on a CD-RW but would recognize them on
> CD-R, so I already have my doubts about it. I thought it was a
> no-brainer in 2004 that any new player would play VCDs from CD-R at the
> least.

Because I have never tried VCDs, I have never tried to play them in the
computer
that generates them but would be astonished if they didn't play there. You
may have missed this
point.

Secondly, I don't understand why you bother with VCDs because they are so
limited. DVD RWs
are now getting very cheap and the DVDs are now around a buck each, so why
not go for 4,362 MB
instead of 700-800??? You can easily put a 2 hour movie on it vs 20-25 mins
on the VCD.

OTOH you may want to send videos of your kids to friends etc.

You probably already know that CD RWs play readily on the box that has made
them but very often
don't play in ordinary CDROMs

Cheers

RF