Audio Recording & Video Problem.

When I plug in my headset and try to record something with the Windows
XP voice recorder program, my computer freezes. I was trying earlier
(with numerous programs) to try video conferencing with a friend and
each time we tried it, my computer froze up. I can listen to music
fine and if I'm not recording and I speak into the mic, it comes
through the speakers just fine. But once I hit record or try to do any
sort of video conferencing the computer freezes up. Can anyone help me
out and let me know what if anything can be done? I have a P4 3.2 with
one gig of RAM, plenty of hard drive space, a decent video card (I have
no problems watching movies or video clips) and three fans on my
computer, so the computer being overheated, I believe, is not the
problem. I've tried seemingly everything and I can't figure it out.
Thanks very much.

--
hobbesmarcus
hobbesmarcus's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=8749

Hi hobbesmarcus,
I had similar problems and found two things that helped.
First, if you have a sound card, go into the BIOS and make sure your onboard
audio is set to "disabled" not "auto".
Second, I discovered that the graphics card and the sound card were sharing
the same IRQ. I moved the sound card to the farthest slot away from the
graphics card. Now the graphics card and sound card do not share the same
IRQ. On my computer, the graphics card now shares the IRQ with the modem and
the sound card shares with the LAN network card. This does not appear to
cause a conflict and I no longer have any graphics or sound related
problems. I don't know if it will help you, but, I figure it's worth a try.
EAG1945

"hobbesmarcus" <hobbesmarcus.1v4udh@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> When I plug in my headset and try to record something with the Windows
> XP voice recorder program, my computer freezes. I was trying earlier
> (with numerous programs) to try video conferencing with a friend and
> each time we tried it, my computer froze up. I can listen to music
> fine and if I'm not recording and I speak into the mic, it comes
> through the speakers just fine. But once I hit record or try to do any
> sort of video conferencing the computer freezes up. Can anyone help me
> out and let me know what if anything can be done? I have a P4 3.2 with
> one gig of RAM, plenty of hard drive space, a decent video card (I have
> no problems watching movies or video clips) and three fans on my
> computer, so the computer being overheated, I believe, is not the
> problem. I've tried seemingly everything and I can't figure it out.
> Thanks very much.
>

> --
> hobbesmarcus
> hobbesmarcus's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=8749
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=358421
> Visit - http://www.techarena.in | http://forums.techarena.in |
> http://gallery.techarena.in

Hi EAG1945,

I did make sure the onboard audio is set to 'disabled' and not 'auto'
and I moved the sound card to the lowest slot on my motherboard, which
obviously is the furthest away from my AGP slot where my graphics card
is, but still the computer freezes as soon as I click the record button
on the voice recorder. Is there any other way I can ensure the sound
card isn't sharing its IRQ with something else that could be messing it
up? Or do you have any other possible solutions? Thanks very much, I
appreciate your help.

--
hobbesmarcus
hobbesmarcus's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=8749
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=358421
Visit - http://www.techarena.in | http://forums.techarena.in | http://gallery.techarena.in

You can get a program called Everest at: http://www.lavalys.hu/index.php.
Their Home Edition is free and will give you lots of information about your
computer. It includes links for getting product information and driver
updates, built in. If you use Everest, you can click on Devices\Device
Resources and see what IRQ's are shared and what is sharing them.

If you are using Windows XP, you can go to Help and Support\Pick a task\Use
Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems. Look at
Advanced System Information\Hardware Resources\IrQs.

You might want to blow out and clean any dust from fans, heat sinks and
slots. Remove and examine your cards and memory chips for dirty contacts. If
you think they are dirty or tarnished, clean the contacts with an eraser,
then clean eraser dust off with alcohol. Make sure all cards are seated
properly and cables are connected well.

I did find this, at Creative Labs Knowledge Base:

Incompatibility problems with Intel P4 Motherboards, Sound Blaster Live!
Player 5.1 and SMBus software
If you have an Intel P4 (Pentium 4) motherboard and SMBus temperature
monitoring software in your system, along with the Sound Blaster Live!
Player 5.1 software, the system may crash intermittently and reboot to a
blue screen.

In order to solve this, please try the following:

Update the Intel(R) Active Monitor program to version 1.13 or later

Update the BIOS ( refer to the Intel website for further information)

I will try to find more information about your problem. I know this can be
very frustrating, but, maybe we can solve it together. Are you running
Windows XP Pro? I had a major problem with my Creative Sound Live card, when
I went from XP Home to XP Pro. I ended up getting a Creative Sound Audigy 2
and that helped a lot.

EAG1945

"hobbesmarcus" <hobbesmarcus.1v62tw@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Hi EAG1945,
>
> I did make sure the onboard audio is set to 'disabled' and not 'auto'
> and I moved the sound card to the lowest slot on my motherboard, which
> obviously is the furthest away from my AGP slot where my graphics card
> is, but still the computer freezes as soon as I click the record button
> on the voice recorder. Is there any other way I can ensure the sound
> card isn't sharing its IRQ with something else that could be messing it
> up? Or do you have any other possible solutions? Thanks very much, I
> appreciate your help.
>

> --
> hobbesmarcus
> hobbesmarcus's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=8749
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=358421
> Visit - http://www.techarena.in | http://forums.techarena.in |
> http://gallery.techarena.in

I forgot to ask, have you tried a different mic? Have you tried your headset
on a different computer? It's possible the mic is bad or shorted.

"EAG1945" <eag1945@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You can get a program called Everest at: http://www.lavalys.hu/index.php.
> Their Home Edition is free and will give you lots of information about
> your computer. It includes links for getting product information and
> driver updates, built in. If you use Everest, you can click on
> Devices\Device Resources and see what IRQ's are shared and what is sharing
> them.
>
> If you are using Windows XP, you can go to Help and Support\Pick a
> task\Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems.
> Look at Advanced System Information\Hardware Resources\IrQs.
>
> You might want to blow out and clean any dust from fans, heat sinks and
> slots. Remove and examine your cards and memory chips for dirty contacts.
> If you think they are dirty or tarnished, clean the contacts with an
> eraser, then clean eraser dust off with alcohol. Make sure all cards are
> seated properly and cables are connected well.
>
> I did find this, at Creative Labs Knowledge Base:
>
> Incompatibility problems with Intel P4 Motherboards, Sound Blaster Live!
> Player 5.1 and SMBus software
> If you have an Intel P4 (Pentium 4) motherboard and SMBus temperature
> monitoring software in your system, along with the Sound Blaster Live!
> Player 5.1 software, the system may crash intermittently and reboot to a
> blue screen.
>
> In order to solve this, please try the following:
>
> Update the Intel(R) Active Monitor program to version 1.13 or later
>
> Update the BIOS ( refer to the Intel website for further information)
>
> I will try to find more information about your problem. I know this can be
> very frustrating, but, maybe we can solve it together. Are you running
> Windows XP Pro? I had a major problem with my Creative Sound Live card,
> when I went from XP Home to XP Pro. I ended up getting a Creative Sound
> Audigy 2 and that helped a lot.
>
> EAG1945
>
> "hobbesmarcus" <hobbesmarcus.1v62tw@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi EAG1945,
>>
>> I did make sure the onboard audio is set to 'disabled' and not 'auto'
>> and I moved the sound card to the lowest slot on my motherboard, which
>> obviously is the furthest away from my AGP slot where my graphics card
>> is, but still the computer freezes as soon as I click the record button
>> on the voice recorder. Is there any other way I can ensure the sound
>> card isn't sharing its IRQ with something else that could be messing it
>> up? Or do you have any other possible solutions? Thanks very much, I
>> appreciate your help.
>>

>> --
>> hobbesmarcus
>> hobbesmarcus's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=8749
>> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=358421
>> Visit - http://www.techarena.in | http://forums.techarena.in |
>> http://gallery.techarena.in

Wow, where to start. First off, thank you very much for all your help.

I will get Everest and see if I can determine the problem. I did find
out that my network card and sound card were sharing the same IRQ.
However, when I took the card out and tried it on another computer, I
had the same freezing result, so it definitely has to do with the card
itself and not the motherboard as I suspected. I have entirely too
much time on my hands, so my case and parts are dusted entirely too
often with a can of compressed air. I know the cables and everything
are connected properly though.

My motherboard is an ASUS P4S800D-X, not an Intel one, unfortunately.
I am running Windows XP Home. Funny you mention about the sound card
you ended up getting, because that's pretty much the one I've had my
eye on for a bit. Is it worth getting?

The headset does indeed work on other computers, both the mic and
headphone part. The headset is fairly new and has not been used much
at all.

To remedy the situation in the meantime, I managed to find the drivers
for my onboard sound and installed them. I now use the mic through the
onboard card, and the headphones through the Creative SB Live card
(which I must plug into the hole where my speakers normally go, so I
must switch them out which is annoying in itself). So it appears that
this works for the time being but I don't like having to use the mic
with the onboard sound because I think the person I do video (or voice)
conferencing with will not be able to hear me as clearly or properly as
they should.

Hopefully this situation will keep working until I can find out how to
use the Creative sound card for both listening and recording. Or until
I buy the Audigy card.

Again, thank you a great deal for your assistance!

--
hobbesmarcus
hobbesmarcus's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=8749
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=358421
Visit - http://www.techarena.in | http://forums.techarena.in | http://gallery.techarena.in

Hi hobbesmarcus,

I'm sure you will like Everest. Another one you might want to try is Sisoft
Sandra. I believe they have a free version at: http://www.sisoftware.net/.
It is normal for IRQs to be shared in Windows XP. I think you just have to
be careful which devices share IRQs. My sound card is shares the IRQ with my
network card and that does not seem to be a problem.

I did not start having problems with my Soundblaster Live card until I
changed from XP Home to XP Pro. As I recall, the drivers for the Live are
getting quite old. I found my Soundblaster Audigy 2 LS at Bestbuy for about
$70 and I added Logitech X-530 Speakers from Sam's Club for about $55. I
personally like the Audigy 2 and have had no problems with it.

I'm glad you were able to find a temporary solution. Maybe you should
consider getting a "y" connector from some place like Radio Shack. I'm sure
you could get it for a couple of dollars.

I am glad to help and know how frustrating things like this can be. I just
wish we could find a better solution, but, it is beginning to look like you
will need to get a newer sound card. Nevertheless, I will continue to look
for a solution to this problem in the hope there is a better solution.

EAG1945