computer freezes with sonic my dvd

September 10, 2005 7:15:48 PM

I use windows MM2 to edit home moves and then Sonic mydvd ver 5.2. Have
found that it locks up after 10 minutes of video encoding. Tried version 6
but same issue. no error messages. I have 512 mg RAM, large 700 mg paging
file, (1500 mg max). I used to use ver 5 and only occasionaly had trouble
and before installing version 6 had completly removed ver 5 including from
registry -so did a clean uninstall.

Any thoughts as to what is going on? I was able to render the movie using
my son's computer with mydvd 5 with no issues . I am wondering about
windows updates, or SP2 or other conflictings software and actually
tried eliminating all the startup items using msconfig - but that did not
help

alan
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 7:15:49 PM

"Alan" <moskowa1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I use windows MM2 to edit home moves and then Sonic mydvd ver 5.2. Have
> found that it locks up after 10 minutes of video encoding. Tried version
> 6 but same issue. no error messages. I have 512 mg RAM, large 700 mg
> paging file, (1500 mg max). I used to use ver 5 and only occasionaly had
> trouble and before installing version 6 had completly removed ver 5
> including from registry -so did a clean uninstall.
>
> Any thoughts as to what is going on? I was able to render the movie using
> my son's computer with mydvd 5 with no issues . I am wondering about
> windows updates, or SP2 or other conflictings software and actually
> tried eliminating all the startup items using msconfig - but that did not
> help
>
> alan

This sounds like your processor is getting too hot. Have you opened up the
computer and cleaned out the dust lately?

Sounds like you have a Pentium processor.

Adding a fan if you have an available fan slot would help. P4 procs are
notoriously hot.

Bobby
September 10, 2005 10:27:46 PM

Very interesting thought. I do have pentium 4, 1.7 GHZ. I probably have not
cleaned out in at least 6 m to 1 yr. and is sits in a cabinet with open
back. I have often wondered about heat - so I will investigate next
weekend when I am back from a trip. Tell me why you think this is the
reason - I am very curious

alan

> "Alan" <moskowa1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I use windows MM2 to edit home moves and then Sonic mydvd ver 5.2. Have
>> found that it locks up after 10 minutes of video encoding. Tried
>> version 6 but same issue. no error messages. I have 512 mg RAM, large
>> 700 mg paging file, (1500 mg max). I used to use ver 5 and only
>> occasionaly had trouble and before installing version 6 had completly
>> removed ver 5 including from registry -so did a clean uninstall.
>>
>> Any thoughts as to what is going on? I was able to render the movie
>> using my son's computer with mydvd 5 with no issues . I am wondering
>> about windows updates, or SP2 or other conflictings software and
>> actually tried eliminating all the startup items using msconfig - but
>> that did not help
>>
>> alan
>>

> This sounds like your processor is getting too hot. Have you opened up
> the computer and cleaned out the dust lately?
>
> Sounds like you have a Pentium processor.
>
> Adding a fan if you have an available fan slot would help. P4 procs are
> notoriously hot.
>
> Bobby

September 10, 2005 10:27:47 PM

Transcoding video places a very high demand on the processor, and is one of
the tasks that will most definitely cause your processor to halt if it gets
too hot. My AMD Athlon64 3200+ operates normally in the 39-40 degree
(Celsius) range, but when I encode videos it can go as high as 47 or 48
degrees Celsius. I suspect your proc probably runs mid-to-high 40's at
idle (as most Pentiums do), and can get into the 50s or 60s (Celsius) at
peak usage, and that is what may be causing your problem. As video
transcoding is also RAM intensive, it can be indicative of a RAM problem
that only manifests itself under peak usage.

Bobby

> Very interesting thought. I do have pentium 4, 1.7 GHZ. I probably have
> not cleaned out in at least 6 m to 1 yr. and is sits in a cabinet with
> open back. I have often wondered about heat - so I will investigate next
> weekend when I am back from a trip. Tell me why you think this is
> the reason - I am very curious
>
> alan
> "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Alan" <moskowa1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> I use windows MM2 to edit home moves and then Sonic mydvd ver 5.2. Have
>>> found that it locks up after 10 minutes of video encoding. Tried
>>> version 6 but same issue. no error messages. I have 512 mg RAM, large
>>> 700 mg paging file, (1500 mg max). I used to use ver 5 and only
>>> occasionaly had trouble and before installing version 6 had completly
>>> removed ver 5 including from registry -so did a clean uninstall.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts as to what is going on? I was able to render the movie
>>> using my son's computer with mydvd 5 with no issues . I am wondering
>>> about windows updates, or SP2 or other conflictings software and
>>> actually tried eliminating all the startup items using msconfig - but
>>> that did not help
>>>
>>> alan
>>>

>> This sounds like your processor is getting too hot. Have you opened up
>> the computer and cleaned out the dust lately?
>>
>> Sounds like you have a Pentium processor.
>>
>> Adding a fan if you have an available fan slot would help. P4 procs are
>> notoriously hot.
>>
>> Bobby

September 15, 2005 3:23:32 AM

yes - you are correct - I have cleaned out dust and also ran the software
with the case open and a fan blowing. no problems. Thanks very much - I
never would have suspected heat. The HP computer has a fan in the rear,
none in the front, and the c pu fan, and the power supply fan. all seem to
work ok but I wonder if I can figure a way to add another in the rear.

alan

!