  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
October 1, 2004 10:55:02 PM

I am using a D-Link DI-614+ router and a DWL-122 usb wireless adaptor. I am
living in an apartment, and the adaptor is about 20 ft away with a dry wall.
The signal strength goes up and down from 11 mps to 5.5 to 2, and then up
again, and it goes in a circle. I wounder if it is something wrong with my
hardware or it is too far away to the router. There are about 5 other
wireless signal around the building using wireless network. Anyone know what
is wrong?

Wilson

More about : wireless signal strength

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 2, 2004 4:05:50 AM

My setup is a DI-614+ connected to my cable modem and it;s about 35 feet
away from my other computer that has a usb DWL-G120.

The signal goes through two hall walls at very acute angles. My signal
strength stays right at 11 Mbps (Very Strong) most of the time.

Are all the other signals you mention strong? I'm not too knowledgeable on
RF stuff but I know what interference can do.

--

"Wilson" <Wilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using a D-Link DI-614+ router and a DWL-122 usb wireless adaptor. I
>am
> living in an apartment, and the adaptor is about 20 ft away with a dry
> wall.
> The signal strength goes up and down from 11 mps to 5.5 to 2, and then up
> again, and it goes in a circle. I wounder if it is something wrong with
> my
> hardware or it is too far away to the router. There are about 5 other
> wireless signal around the building using wireless network. Anyone know
> what
> is wrong?
>
> Wilson
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 4, 2004 8:30:48 PM

In news:9BC4FD06-7B49-411D-89DA-8AD4B668264B@microsoft.com,
Wilson <Wilson@discussions.microsoft.com> fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
> I am using a D-Link DI-614+ router and a DWL-122 usb wireless
> adaptor. I am living in an apartment, and the adaptor is about 20 ft
> away with a dry wall. The signal strength goes up and down from 11
> mps to 5.5 to 2, and then up again, and it goes in a circle. I
> wounder if it is something wrong with my hardware or it is too far
> away to the router. There are about 5 other wireless signal around
> the building using wireless network. Anyone know what is wrong?
>
> Wilson

Try changing the channel your wifi is on so that its oon a different
channel to the other networks

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk
a b F Wireless
January 8, 2005 2:39:19 PM

My signal strengh signal varies quite often, usually between 50-65% and
my tx rate is always at 11mbps. I called D-Link help desk and they
couldn't really help me as usual. Does anyone has any suggestion to
improve my tx rate and my signal strengh? I have tried many different
locations for my DWL-G120 adapter and so far it's at about 9 feet from
the router! which is very very close already. But I still only get
maximum of 65% and tx rate remains at 11mbps. It supposed to be able to
get a maximum of 54 mbps! I am using a Gateway Desktop and Windows
98SE. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 11, 2005 7:51:40 PM

Silk,
Are you sure that you sure that you have the card configured to use the "G"
mode? Most "G" cards/routers can do both B and G (but not at the same
time). 11MBps is the maximum data rate that B supports.

When I look at the D-Link page, I see the disclaimer:
* Maximum wireless signal rate based on IEEE Standard 802.11g
specifications. Actual data throughput will vary. Network conditions and
environmental factors lower actual data throughput rate.

This is definitely very true. However, when you are very close the wireless
router, you would expect the most ideal conditions, and the most ideal
throughput. Environmental conditions include interference (portable phones,
microwave ovens, anything that uses the 2.4 Ghz spectrum). You can try to
change channels on the Access Point. Test the channels to find which one
gives the best Rx signal strength. Also make sure that the antenas are
well-connected and aligned properly (read the manual that came with the
devices about this topic).

Now, another good question to ask is, "Do I need this throughput?" I, for
example, have a low-speed DSL connection to the internet. 11 MBps is way
faster than that connection, and I don't stream media at home. So, for me,
11 Mbps is plenty. 2Mbps would be plenty.

Assuming that you do need this bandwidth, the problem could be in the card
or in the router. Have you tried connecting to other "G" wireless networks?
If the equipment does not appear to work, you may have to return it to the
manufacturer.

--
Brian Wehrle
bwehrle@online.microsoft.com