.jpg -> video: zoom in, then pan

Does anybody know of an inexpensive software tool that could take a high
resolution .jpg still image ... first showing the entire image, then zooming
into
the details of a particular part of the image, then pan around different
parts
of the image ?

.... and making all that into a short video clip ?

I've seen this on television in documentaries. For example, first they'll
show a group
shot of everyone in the picture. Then they will zoom in on one face, than
maybe
pan over to another face, et cetera.

Pretty much all higher end editing tools will do this.

David Mazeau wrote:
> Does anybody know of an inexpensive software tool that could take a
> high resolution .jpg still image ... first showing the entire image,
> then zooming into
> the details of a particular part of the image, then pan around
> different parts
> of the image ?
>
> ... and making all that into a short video clip ?
>
> I've seen this on television in documentaries. For example, first
> they'll show a group
> shot of everyone in the picture. Then they will zoom in on one face,
> than maybe
> pan over to another face, et cetera.

Depends on your editing software. This feature is built into Sony's Vegas
and (I think) Premiere.
You can also check out the standalone packages Imaginate at
http://www.canopus.us/US/products/Imaginate2/pm_imaginate2.asp and
Stage Tools at http://www.stagetools.com/ but you'll still need an editing
package to bring it into.

Mike

"David Mazeau" <david.mazeau1@REMOVEhotpop.com> wrote in message
> Does anybody know of an inexpensive software tool that could take a high
> resolution .jpg still image ... first showing the entire image, then
zooming
> into
> the details of a particular part of the image, then pan around different
> parts
> of the image ?
>
> ... and making all that into a short video clip ?
>
> I've seen this on television in documentaries. For example, first they'll
> show a group
> shot of everyone in the picture. Then they will zoom in on one face, than
> maybe
> pan over to another face, et cetera.

Imaginate, by Canopus, is under $100 and does this very well.

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 22:24:46 +0200, "David Mazeau"
<david.mazeau1@REMOVEhotpop.com> wrote:

>Does anybody know of an inexpensive software tool that could take a high
>resolution .jpg still image ... first showing the entire image, then zooming
>into
>the details of a particular part of the image, then pan around different
>parts
>of the image ?
>
>... and making all that into a short video clip ?

http://www.picturetotv.com/

Rich M.

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> David Mazeau wrote:
> > Does anybody know of an inexpensive software tool that could take a
> > high resolution .jpg still image ... first showing the entire image,
> > then zooming into
> > the details of a particular part of the image, then pan around
> > different parts
> > of the image ?
> >
> > ... and making all that into a short video clip ?
> >
> > I've seen this on television in documentaries. For example, first
> > they'll show a group
> > shot of everyone in the picture. Then they will zoom in on one face,
> > than maybe
> > pan over to another face, et cetera.
>

> Depends on your editing software. This feature is built into Sony's Vegas
> and (I think) Premiere.
> You can also check out the standalone packages Imaginate at
> http://www.canopus.us/US/products/Imaginate2/pm_imaginate2.asp and
> Stage Tools at http://www.stagetools.com/ but you'll still need an editing
> package to bring it into.
>
> Mike

Imaginate is available as a stand-alone, and produces a finished AVI -- no
editing package necessary.

Hey PT -- According to the Canopus site it is $199 MSRP
and a web search shows street prices $180 or so. You had
me all excited with the under $100.

For others looking for the effect, do a google search on the
"Ken Burns effect" and you will find lots of discussions about
how to do it. No perfect answers, but lots of info. Also check
out the "mug-sw" over in the yahoo groups. I have seen several
discussions there on how to do it and which hoops you need
to jump through to get the transitions/zooming smooth for video
(which brings you back to a good commercial package once
you find out how hard it is !)

--
Mike "mikey" Fields
http://home.comcast.net/~mike.fields/

Linux users brag on how long their system stays up,
Window users assume it's a temporary condition ...