cut out a pic in Adobe Photoshop

How can I cut out an image background to make it transparent. I have a
picture of a face and need to make the background transparent to use in
premiere 6.5 to over lay on a video clip. I tried using TGA extension but
have not succeeded in making the background transparent. I used the lasso
tool to cut out the back. I can do ovals to use as balloons with word in
them in Photoshop and used the TGA extension and it works well, but when I
bring in an still image I can not make it work.

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 07:17:16 GMT, "Leo Reyes"
<dusty-roads@earthlink.net> wrote:

>How can I cut out an image background to make it transparent. I have a
>picture of a face and need to make the background transparent to use in
>premiere 6.5 to over lay on a video clip. I tried using TGA extension but
>have not succeeded in making the background transparent. I used the lasso
>tool to cut out the back. I can do ovals to use as balloons with word in
>them in Photoshop and used the TGA extension and it works well, but when I
>bring in an still image I can not make it work.

I think you must use GIF extension. You must also remove the
background with the background eraser.

Also try this NG: adobe.photoshop.elements

Rich M.

A read through the section "superimposing and Compositing" in the Premiere
help file may provide you with a few pointers . . . .

--
Peace !

Steve Wilcox

"If Whisky Don't Kill Me I'll Live 'Til I Die"

stevegwilcox@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk

"Richard M." wrote

> You must also remove the
> background with the background eraser.

You don't have to erase the background - you could make it a single colour
and use transparency in Premiere to key it out . . .

--
Peace !

Steve Wilcox

"If Whisky Don't Kill Me I'll Live 'Til I Die"

stevegwilcox@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk

I tried that, Premiere has white and black but still it will not get
tranparent, I will try again....I have an image with the background cut out,
the background is now white, so when I bring it Premiere, and use the white
background, it still does not show the video clips.

"steve Wilcox" <stevegwilcox@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Richard M." wrote
>
> > You must also remove the
> > background with the background eraser.
>
> You don't have to erase the background - you could make it a single colour
> and use transparency in Premiere to key it out . . .
>

> --
> Peace !
>
> Steve Wilcox
>
> "If Whisky Don't Kill Me I'll Live 'Til I Die"
>
> stevegwilcox@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk

try the Chroma setting, then click on the background colour on the thumbnail
to select it . . . . .

IIRC you can save a photoshop file ( .PSD ) with an alpha channel, then
import the file into Premiere and use the alpha channel as a key. A search
in the Premiere help for "alpha channel key" should point you in the right
direction . . . . .

--
Peace !

Steve Wilcox

"If Whisky Don't Kill Me I'll Live 'Til I Die"

stevegwilcox@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk

Try this, Leo . . .

Open your image in Photoshop. Use the lasso tool ( or any of the other
methods ) to select the parts of the image that you DON'T want to be
transparent. Then do - - SELECT > SAVE SELECTION.
Now save the image as a .PSD file.
Next - import the image into Premiere and put it on track 2 ( NOT 1A or
1B ). Go into the transparency settings for the image and select "Alpha
Channel".
That should do the trick . . . . .

--
Peace !

Steve Wilcox

"If Whisky Don't Kill Me I'll Live 'Til I Die"

stevegwilcox@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk

> How can I cut out an image background to make it transparent. I have a
> picture of a face and need to make the background transparent to use in
> premiere 6.5 to over lay on a video clip. I tried using TGA extension but
> have not succeeded in making the background transparent. I used the lasso
> tool to cut out the back. I can do ovals to use as balloons with word in
> them in Photoshop and used the TGA extension and it works well, but when I
> bring in an still image I can not make it work.

You might have gotten there already, but just in case...

Do this...

In Photoshop, make a duplicate layer of your image and clear the background
to green.

On Layer 1 (your image) use lasso tool, magic wand, eraser, or whatever
works for you to cut out the background, so you only have your head against
the green background (Background layer).

Once you're happy with the image, delete the Background layer, so you only
have Layer 1 (The background should now be represented by a white & grey
checkerboard pattern).

Save your image as a PSD file.

Load it into Premiere. It will ask you to choose a layer. Select Layer 1, or
whatever your top layer was called in Photoshop.

Drag the image into the a track above your video in Premiere. You might have
to add another video layer manually.

Right click your image -> Video Options -> Transparency... -> Set it to
Alpha Channel.

And there you go.

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 13:39:42 +0000 (UTC), "Allan" <fghj@tyui.tyu>
wrote:

>In Photoshop, make a duplicate layer of your image and clear the background
>to green.

A basic point being - in Photoshop don't try to work on a layer
designated as Background. There doesn't HAVE to be a Background
Layer. But, if you create a single-layer image, that layer will be
the Background, and won't support transparency.

Copy the layer, delete the original layer. You now have one layer
which isn't a Background Layer and transparency will work.

> >In Photoshop, make a duplicate layer of your image and clear the
background
> >to green.
>
> A basic point being - in Photoshop don't try to work on a layer
> designated as Background. There doesn't HAVE to be a Background
> Layer. But, if you create a single-layer image, that layer will be
> the Background, and won't support transparency.
>
> Copy the layer, delete the original layer. You now have one layer
> which isn't a Background Layer and transparency will work.

When cutting something out, it's nice to have a "flat" background to work
against, though.

"Allan" <fghj@tyui.tyu> wrote in message
> > >In Photoshop, make a duplicate layer of your image and clear the
> background
> > >to green.
> >
> > A basic point being - in Photoshop don't try to work on a layer
> > designated as Background. There doesn't HAVE to be a Background
> > Layer. But, if you create a single-layer image, that layer will be
> > the Background, and won't support transparency.
> >
> > Copy the layer, delete the original layer. You now have one layer
> > which isn't a Background Layer and transparency will work.
>
> When cutting something out, it's nice to have a "flat" background to work
> against, though.

Agreed, but not critical. As for the Background layer not supporting
transparency, that is only partially true. Initially that is the case, but
if
you go to rename the background you will see that it automatically
defaults to "layer 0". Accept that, or give it a new name and the layer
will now support transparency.

Now, there is merit to making a copy, as suggested by the previous
poster, and that is that you don't disturb the original image, so you can
easily restore your original if you make a mistake. Of course undo,
history or revert can help you go back as well. You can even "paint
from history". to restore to earlier work on a portion of the image.

I love Photoshop :)

David

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 17:41:08 +0000 (UTC), "Allan" <fghj@tyui.tyu>
wrote:

>> Copy the layer, delete the original layer. You now have one layer
>> which isn't a Background Layer and transparency will work.
>
>When cutting something out, it's nice to have a "flat" background to work
>against, though.

Sure, if you like. Can't you even define what colour/pattern will be
used to denote "transparant"?

"Laurence Payne" <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 17:41:08 +0000 (UTC), "Allan" <fghj@tyui.tyu>
> wrote:
>
> >> Copy the layer, delete the original layer. You now have one layer
> >> which isn't a Background Layer and transparency will work.
> >
> >When cutting something out, it's nice to have a "flat" background to work
> >against, though.
>
> Sure, if you like. Can't you even define what colour/pattern will be
> used to denote "transparant"?

You can pick the size and colors of the background checkerboard used
to show transparency.

David

> > When cutting something out, it's nice to have a "flat" background to
work
> > against, though.
> >
> Agreed, but not critical. As for the Background layer not supporting
> transparency, that is only partially true. Initially that is the case, but
> if
> you go to rename the background you will see that it automatically
> defaults to "layer 0". Accept that, or give it a new name and the layer
> will now support transparency.
>
> Now, there is merit to making a copy, as suggested by the previous
> poster, and that is that you don't disturb the original image, so you can
> easily restore your original if you make a mistake. Of course undo,
> history or revert can help you go back as well. You can even "paint
> from history". to restore to earlier work on a portion of the image.
>
> I love Photoshop :)

Yes, the cool thing about Photoshop is that there is about a trillion
different ways to do the same thing. Everybody can have their own preferred
ways of working, I was just trying to suggest the least complicated way to
the original poster.