Loss of sound

I can play all video's (without sound) except for .wma files. The error
message I receive is:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with
your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your
computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be
functioning properly"

Following trouble shooting solutions I eventually tracked the problem down to:
C-Media Ac97 Audio Device with an error code of "This device cannot start
(Code 10). All other checks through Device manager appear to be okay.

Directions told me to to uninstall the program with the problems and then
reinstall. Well, I have uninstalled C-Media but can't reinstall. Now I have 2
problems.

Windows Update (Express and Custom) doesn't detect any problems????

I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Hoping someone will be able to help.

OS of XP Home - Service pack 2.

John

--
john22
3 answers Last reply

    OK... there are such things as silent videos so XP won't complain that you
    don't have a soundcard/sound chip when it plays a video. However it will
    complain when you play just an audio file.

    So I presume you went into the Device Manager and uninstalled the C-Media
    card and then rebooted XP to see if it could reinstall the drivers?

    And it didn't. OK, the next step would be to look for the chipset drivers
    for your motherboard and specific audio drivers.... they should be at the
    website of the motherboard manufacturer... or if you don't know what
    motherboard you have in your PC, at the website of the PC manufacturer.

    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    >I can play all video's (without sound) except for .wma files. The error
    > message I receive is:
    >
    > "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with
    > your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your
    > computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be
    > functioning properly"
    >
    > Following trouble shooting solutions I eventually tracked the problem down
    > to:
    > C-Media Ac97 Audio Device with an error code of "This device cannot start
    > (Code 10). All other checks through Device manager appear to be okay.
    >
    > Directions told me to to uninstall the program with the problems and then
    > reinstall. Well, I have uninstalled C-Media but can't reinstall. Now I
    > have 2
    > problems.
    >
    > Windows Update (Express and Custom) doesn't detect any problems????
    >
    > I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Hoping someone will be able to help.
    >
    > OS of XP Home - Service pack 2.
    >
    > John
    >

    > --
    > john22

    Hi Cari and congratulations. I think you found the problem first up with a
    faulty chipset. I was hoping it wasn't as I have 270K return road trip to get
    it fixed at my computer store.

    After I contacted the maker of the computer (Acer), I downloaded an update
    to the driver without any changes to the problem. Then I finally conceded and
    contacted my supplier. They confirmed that the chipset may be at fault and I
    have to take the computer to them.

    Thanks for your help and advice. Excellent.

    John

    --
    john22

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > OK... there are such things as silent videos so XP won't complain that you
    > don't have a soundcard/sound chip when it plays a video. However it will
    > complain when you play just an audio file.
    >
    > So I presume you went into the Device Manager and uninstalled the C-Media
    > card and then rebooted XP to see if it could reinstall the drivers?
    >
    > And it didn't. OK, the next step would be to look for the chipset drivers
    > for your motherboard and specific audio drivers.... they should be at the
    > website of the motherboard manufacturer... or if you don't know what
    > motherboard you have in your PC, at the website of the PC manufacturer.
    >
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I can play all video's (without sound) except for .wma files. The error
    > > message I receive is:
    > >
    > > "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with
    > > your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your
    > > computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be
    > > functioning properly"
    > >
    > > Following trouble shooting solutions I eventually tracked the problem down
    > > to:
    > > C-Media Ac97 Audio Device with an error code of "This device cannot start
    > > (Code 10). All other checks through Device manager appear to be okay.
    > >
    > > Directions told me to to uninstall the program with the problems and then
    > > reinstall. Well, I have uninstalled C-Media but can't reinstall. Now I
    > > have 2
    > > problems.
    > >
    > > Windows Update (Express and Custom) doesn't detect any problems????
    > >
    > > I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Hoping someone will be able to help.
    > >
    > > OS of XP Home - Service pack 2.
    > >
    > > John
    > >

    > > --
    > > john22

    Sorry you'll have a silent notebook for a while. :-(

    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

Video Devices Windows XP