XP / Movie Maker recognizes camcorder as NTSC, not PAL

Hi,

I've got a Canon MV20i video camera which is PAL format.

I've previously been able to capture video from the camera with Premiere 6
and Firewire (IEEE link).

However, I've recently reinstalled Windows XP Home. Premiere 6 and also
Windows Movie Maker seems to think the camera is NTSC and tries to capture in
that format.

Movie Maker help says it uses the format it thinks the camera is. If it
can't detect it, it uses a regional way of selecting the format. I'm pretty
sure I've set everything to say the computer is being used in Australia (PAL
format is the default).

If anyone has any ideas or has seen this problem before, some help would be
appreciated.

Thanks,

Rabi
2 answers Last reply
More about movie maker recognizes camcorder ntsc

    From within Windows Movie Maker....

    Tools, Options, click Advanced tab... Ensure PAL is set as default.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "rabi" <rabi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got a Canon MV20i video camera which is PAL format.
    >
    > I've previously been able to capture video from the camera with Premiere 6
    > and Firewire (IEEE link).
    >
    > However, I've recently reinstalled Windows XP Home. Premiere 6 and also
    > Windows Movie Maker seems to think the camera is NTSC and tries to capture
    > in
    > that format.
    >
    > Movie Maker help says it uses the format it thinks the camera is. If it
    > can't detect it, it uses a regional way of selecting the format. I'm
    > pretty
    > sure I've set everything to say the computer is being used in Australia
    > (PAL
    > format is the default).
    >
    > If anyone has any ideas or has seen this problem before, some help would
    > be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Rabi

    > From within Windows Movie Maker....
    >
    > Tools, Options, click Advanced tab... Ensure PAL is set as default.

    Hi Cari,

    I already had that set and it didn't fix the problem.

    Doing research elsewhere on the net, I fould that the problem could be that
    the camera I have uses the MPEG2TS codec, instead of the DV codec, and that
    XP SP2 does not support this codec and thus defolts to the wrong one.

    The suggested fix is to go back to the SP1 version of MSDV.sys but so far i
    haven't been able to get it to work.

    I also tried looking for the MPEG2TS codec but with no luck.

    - rabi

    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "rabi" <rabi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I've got a Canon MV20i video camera which is PAL format.
    > >
    > > I've previously been able to capture video from the camera with Premiere 6
    > > and Firewire (IEEE link).
    > >
    > > However, I've recently reinstalled Windows XP Home. Premiere 6 and also
    > > Windows Movie Maker seems to think the camera is NTSC and tries to capture
    > > in
    > > that format.
    > >
    > > Movie Maker help says it uses the format it thinks the camera is. If it
    > > can't detect it, it uses a regional way of selecting the format. I'm
    > > pretty
    > > sure I've set everything to say the computer is being used in Australia
    > > (PAL
    > > format is the default).
    > >
    > > If anyone has any ideas or has seen this problem before, some help would
    > > be
    > > appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Rabi