Oracle Releases Linux 6.2 With Driver Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]HansVonOhain[/nom]To be honest, this is the first time I hear about this version of Linux.[/citation]

Me too :D So, unbreakable kernel... how much they wanna bet I'll "break it"? :D A careless tweak to initramfs and a kernel update today cost me 30 minutes of my time; ANYTHING is breakable :lol:

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]HansVonOhain[/nom]To be honest, this is the first time I hear about this version of Linux.[/citation]

Yeah, "Linux 6.2", they must really be ahead of the curve while the rest of us is using Linux 3.1, at best...
(A big fail in the headline).

NITROGEnarcosis

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
[citation][nom]in_the_loop[/nom]Yeah, "Linux 6.2", they must really be ahead of the curve while the rest of us is using Linux 3.1, at best...(A big fail in the headline).[/citation]

The 6.2 is in reference to Red Hat Enterprise Linux ver. 6.2 which Oracle is basing their distro off of. These distros are all still running 2.6.x kernels; no bleeding edge software for production systems.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]achoo2[/nom]Shoddy proofreading. Very shoddy.[/citation]
How is it shoddy proofreading? I haven't tried this particular flavor but I'm quite sure this works just like RHEL where they let you download and install the OS for FREE but after so many days you have to pay for a contract to continue getting "updates"...but free to continue using without being up-to-date. So really the author is correct...

Reminds me of the reason why Red Hat has recently 'obfuscated' their kernel source to try and make it harder for downstream vendors to easily see what changes were made to it...basically what Oracle does to compete - offering "Red Hat compat. kernel" as part of their subscription.

Status
Not open for further replies.