aspect ration question

Hello all,
first, apologize if this has been asked before.

I've got a single dvd chapter on my pc that I'm
testing with. I'm trying to create a divx avi with the
correct a/r when viewed on the pc monitor (isn't that
implied when we're talking about avi?)

The clip is 720*480 however, theres 22 on each side
that's just black bars. So I clipped it to 676*480.
It's anaporphic - things are clearly to tall when viewed.

I thought the 4*3 was 3/4 of the height of 16/9
but resizing to 676*360 didn't look right.

I ended up with 640*372, but more luck than science.
This gives a ratio of 1.72.

Thanks for any clues.
Dave
3 answers Last reply
More about aspect ration question

    "davetest" <davexnetzerotwo@hooya!.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    > first, apologize if this has been asked before.
    >
    > I've got a single dvd chapter on my pc that I'm
    > testing with. I'm trying to create a divx avi with the
    > correct a/r when viewed on the pc monitor (isn't that
    > implied when we're talking about avi?)
    >
    > The clip is 720*480 however, theres 22 on each side
    > that's just black bars. So I clipped it to 676*480.
    > It's anaporphic - things are clearly to tall when viewed.
    >
    > I thought the 4*3 was 3/4 of the height of 16/9
    > but resizing to 676*360 didn't look right.
    >
    > I ended up with 640*372, but more luck than science.
    > This gives a ratio of 1.72.
    >
    > Thanks for any clues.
    > Dave

    Check out "Aspect" at www.geocities.com/vestadomain/videoutils
    (Wish I could credit the poster who pointed it out to me, sorry whoever
    you are.)

    Luck;
    Ken

    davetest wrote:

    > I'm trying to create a divx avi with the correct a/r
    > when viewed on the pc monitor (isn't that implied
    > when we're talking about avi?)

    Not necessarily. For example, much of DV editing (which
    will end up back on tape or on a DVD) is done in the AVI
    format, and it does not _need_ to show up correctly on
    the pc monitor if it just shows up correctly on the tv. :)

    > The clip is 720*480 however, theres 22 on each side
    > that's just black bars. So I clipped it to 676*480.
    > It's anaporphic - things are clearly to tall when viewed.
    > I thought the 4*3 was 3/4 of the height of 16/9
    > but resizing to 676*360 didn't look right.

    You might want to check out
    <http://www.iki.fi/znark/video/conversion/>.

    --
    znark

    "Jukka Aho" <jukka.aho@iki.fi> wrote in message news:<cel096$ooq$1@plaza.suomi.net>...
    > davetest wrote:
    >
    > > I'm trying to create a divx avi with the correct a/r
    > > when viewed on the pc monitor (isn't that implied
    > > when we're talking about avi?)
    >
    > Not necessarily. For example, much of DV editing (which
    > will end up back on tape or on a DVD) is done in the AVI
    > format, and it does not _need_ to show up correctly on
    > the pc monitor if it just shows up correctly on the tv. :)
    > >
    > > The clip is 720*480 however, theres 22 on each side
    > > that's just black bars. So I clipped it to 676*480.
    > > It's anaporphic - things are clearly to tall when viewed.
    > > I thought the 4*3 was 3/4 of the height of 16/9
    > > but resizing to 676*360 didn't look right.
    >
    > You might want to check out
    > <http://www.iki.fi/znark/video/conversion/>.
    Thanks gentlemen -
    Dave