aspect ration question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 2, 2004 3:20:47 AM

Hello all,
first, apologize if this has been asked before.

I've got a single dvd chapter on my pc that I'm
testing with. I'm trying to create a divx avi with the
correct a/r when viewed on the pc monitor (isn't that
implied when we're talking about avi?)

The clip is 720*480 however, theres 22 on each side
that's just black bars. So I clipped it to 676*480.
It's anaporphic - things are clearly to tall when viewed.

I thought the 4*3 was 3/4 of the height of 16/9
but resizing to 676*360 didn't look right.

I ended up with 640*372, but more luck than science.
This gives a ratio of 1.72.

Thanks for any clues.
Dave

More about : aspect ration question

Anonymous
August 2, 2004 3:20:48 AM

"davetest" <davexnetzerotwo@hooya!.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
> first, apologize if this has been asked before.
>
> I've got a single dvd chapter on my pc that I'm
> testing with. I'm trying to create a divx avi with the
> correct a/r when viewed on the pc monitor (isn't that
> implied when we're talking about avi?)
>
> The clip is 720*480 however, theres 22 on each side
> that's just black bars. So I clipped it to 676*480.
> It's anaporphic - things are clearly to tall when viewed.
>
> I thought the 4*3 was 3/4 of the height of 16/9
> but resizing to 676*360 didn't look right.
>
> I ended up with 640*372, but more luck than science.
> This gives a ratio of 1.72.
>
> Thanks for any clues.
> Dave

Check out "Aspect" at www.geocities.com/vestadomain/videoutils
(Wish I could credit the poster who pointed it out to me, sorry whoever
you are.)

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 4:07:54 PM

davetest wrote:

> I'm trying to create a divx avi with the correct a/r
> when viewed on the pc monitor (isn't that implied
> when we're talking about avi?)

Not necessarily. For example, much of DV editing (which
will end up back on tape or on a DVD) is done in the AVI
format, and it does not _need_ to show up correctly on
the pc monitor if it just shows up correctly on the tv. :)

> The clip is 720*480 however, theres 22 on each side
> that's just black bars. So I clipped it to 676*480.
> It's anaporphic - things are clearly to tall when viewed.
> I thought the 4*3 was 3/4 of the height of 16/9
> but resizing to 676*360 didn't look right.

You might want to check out
<http://www.iki.fi/znark/video/conversion/&gt;.

--
znark
Anonymous

"Jukka Aho" <jukka.aho@iki.fi> wrote in message news:<cel096$ooq$1@plaza.suomi.net>...
> davetest wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to create a divx avi with the correct a/r
> > when viewed on the pc monitor (isn't that implied
> > when we're talking about avi?)
>
> Not necessarily. For example, much of DV editing (which
> will end up back on tape or on a DVD) is done in the AVI
> format, and it does not _need_ to show up correctly on
> the pc monitor if it just shows up correctly on the tv. :)
> >
> > The clip is 720*480 however, theres 22 on each side
> > that's just black bars. So I clipped it to 676*480.
> > It's anaporphic - things are clearly to tall when viewed.
> > I thought the 4*3 was 3/4 of the height of 16/9
> > but resizing to 676*360 didn't look right.
>
> You might want to check out
> <http://www.iki.fi/znark/video/conversion/&gt;.
Thanks gentlemen -
Dave