Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help With Procedure for Analog to Digital Conversion with ..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 10:56:21 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Hi -

I would like to convert some analog 8mm video to digital mini DV.

I have borrowed a Sony TRV 120, which can play my old tapes and create
the digital signal though firewire.

I own a Samsung SCD 23 which can receive an input (I think) via USB to
record the digital version of the tape.

I have a computer with 20 Gig free space and a CD burner.

I don't yet have a firewire card on my computer, but am going to buy
one.

I would like to get the 8 mm to miniDV using these tools.

I do not know the best way to go about this?

Can I go directly from the TRV 120 to the Samsung?

Do I have to save them on the computer hardrive first, and then
transfer back to the miniDV player?

Should I just make Video CD's?

Do I need special software?

Your help appreciated!

Thanks
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 7:10:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Groundsel wrote:

> I would like to convert some analog 8mm video to digital mini DV.
>
> I have borrowed a Sony TRV 120, which can play my old tapes and
> create the digital signal though firewire.
>
> I own a Samsung SCD 23 which can receive an input (I think) via
> USB to record the digital version of the tape.

Forget about the USB connector, it is of no use in this case.
Your MiniDV camcorder (Samsung) should have a Firewire (aka
IEEE-1394, i.Link, DV in/out) connector on its own.

Simply buy a Firewire cable (with 4-pin connectors on both
ends), connect the two camcorders together with it, press
"play" on the Sony and "record" on the Samsung. That's it.

> I have a computer with 20 Gig free space and a CD burner.
>
> I don't yet have a firewire card on my computer, but am
> going to buy one.

You do not (necessarily) need a Firewire card on your computer.

If all you want to do is copy the footage from the 8mm tapes
to MiniDV tapes, a simple, direct camcorder-to-camcorder
transfer will do.

However, if you want to _edit_ your Video8 footage before
copying it to MiniDV tape, it is a good idea to purchase
a Firewire card, since then you can do the editing on your
computer. (If this is the case, you would probably also want
to buy a second hard disk with some more space on it - DV
material takes approximately 13 gigabytes per hour.)

> I would like to get the 8 mm to miniDV using these tools.

Even though another poster recommended using the analog
outputs, rolling the Video8 tapes on a real Digital8
camcorder (the TRV120) and letting it to convert the
analogue signal into DV format is a better choice. You
should be all set up.

> Can I go directly from the TRV 120 to the Samsung?

Yes, this is the easiest route if you do not need to edit
the material.

> Do I have to save them on the computer hardrive first, and
> then transfer back to the miniDV player?

It's possible, but it only makes things more complicated -
unless you want to edit the material on your computer.

> Should I just make Video CD's?

Possible, but not recommended. VCD quality is acceptable,
but lower than the quality of your original footage. If
you would rather store it all on a video disc, you might
want to consider the SVCD or DVD formats instead. (Of
course, in order to burn DVD's you would also need to
buy a DVD-RW drive.)

> Do I need special software?

As explained above, at the simplest level you only need
a firewire cable between the two camcorders.

You would need additional, special software for editing
the footage on your computer, and for making a DVD out
of it.

--
znark
August 4, 2004 3:09:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

groundsel@comcast.net (Groundsel) wrote:

>Hi -
>
>I would like to convert some analog 8mm video to digital mini DV.
>
>I have borrowed a Sony TRV 120, which can play my old tapes and create
>the digital signal though firewire.
>
>I own a Samsung SCD 23 which can receive an input (I think) via USB to
>record the digital version of the tape.
>
>I have a computer with 20 Gig free space and a CD burner.
You'll need 13 Gigsof hard disk space to store 1 hour of video in DV
AVI format.
>
>I don't yet have a firewire card on my computer, but am going to buy
>one.
Good choice
>
>I would like to get the 8 mm to miniDV using these tools.
>
>I do not know the best way to go about this?
Your need some software like Ulead Video Studio 8 or Ulead DVD
Moviefactory www.ulead.com for trail versions of these programs.

>
>Can I go directly from the TRV 120 to the Samsung?
You might be able to tranfer the video if your digital camera has
analog input for video and sound.
>
>Do I have to save them on the computer hardrive first, and then
>transfer back to the miniDV player?
If you want to edit the video and tranfer it to CD or DVD then it
needs to be transfered to the hard drive.
Some software lets you transfer the video in real time to a CD or DVD
disk. Take a look at Ulead DVD Moviefactory 3.

>
>Should I just make Video CD's?
Creating DVD's are better for higher quality but if you only have a CD
writer then you should be ablbe to fit about 70 minutes onto a CD as
VCD.
>
>Do I need special software?
Take a look at www.videohelp.com and click on Tools
Also www.ulead.com and www.cyberlink.com

>

>Your help appreciated!
>
>Thanks
>

Regards Brian
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 8:15:24 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Thanks to all for the help.

It was as simple as running the 4 pin xc 4pin firewire between the two
camera's.

Groundsel


On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 15:10:05 +0300, "Jukka Aho" <jukka.aho@iki.fi>
wrote:

>Groundsel wrote:
>
>> I would like to convert some analog 8mm video to digital mini DV.
>>
>> I have borrowed a Sony TRV 120, which can play my old tapes and
>> create the digital signal though firewire.
>>
>> I own a Samsung SCD 23 which can receive an input (I think) via
>> USB to record the digital version of the tape.
>
>Forget about the USB connector, it is of no use in this case.
>Your MiniDV camcorder (Samsung) should have a Firewire (aka
>IEEE-1394, i.Link, DV in/out) connector on its own.
>
>Simply buy a Firewire cable (with 4-pin connectors on both
>ends), connect the two camcorders together with it, press
>"play" on the Sony and "record" on the Samsung. That's it.
>
>> I have a computer with 20 Gig free space and a CD burner.
>>
>> I don't yet have a firewire card on my computer, but am
>> going to buy one.
>
>You do not (necessarily) need a Firewire card on your computer.
>
>If all you want to do is copy the footage from the 8mm tapes
>to MiniDV tapes, a simple, direct camcorder-to-camcorder
>transfer will do.
>
>However, if you want to _edit_ your Video8 footage before
>copying it to MiniDV tape, it is a good idea to purchase
>a Firewire card, since then you can do the editing on your
>computer. (If this is the case, you would probably also want
>to buy a second hard disk with some more space on it - DV
>material takes approximately 13 gigabytes per hour.)
>
>> I would like to get the 8 mm to miniDV using these tools.
>
>Even though another poster recommended using the analog
>outputs, rolling the Video8 tapes on a real Digital8
>camcorder (the TRV120) and letting it to convert the
>analogue signal into DV format is a better choice. You
>should be all set up.
>
>> Can I go directly from the TRV 120 to the Samsung?
>
>Yes, this is the easiest route if you do not need to edit
>the material.
>
>> Do I have to save them on the computer hardrive first, and
>> then transfer back to the miniDV player?
>
>It's possible, but it only makes things more complicated -
>unless you want to edit the material on your computer.
>
>> Should I just make Video CD's?
>
>Possible, but not recommended. VCD quality is acceptable,
>but lower than the quality of your original footage. If
>you would rather store it all on a video disc, you might
>want to consider the SVCD or DVD formats instead. (Of
>course, in order to burn DVD's you would also need to
>buy a DVD-RW drive.)
>
>> Do I need special software?
>
>As explained above, at the simplest level you only need
>a firewire cable between the two camcorders.
>
>You would need additional, special software for editing
>the footage on your computer, and for making a DVD out
>of it.
>
>--
>znark
>
!