Aggravating Video Problem

Hi all,

I have recently started having strange problems with video files and they
used to be playable with no problems what-so-ever. I would double-click on
the video... Windows Media Player loads and begins loading the video
"Connecting"... then the mouse slows down then the computer hangs and locks
up.

Even stranger, when I do get security dialog (Ctrl+Alt+Del) to come up...
the video plays just fine cause I can hear it in the background. I also have
codecs installed from "Cole2k Media - Codec Pack V5.58 Advanced"
(http://www.cole2k.net/?display=CP-A)

The OS is a fresh reinstall... I have tried reverting to an older video
driver and nothing... tried updating codecs and nothing... reinstalled Media
Player and nothing... considered corrupted video files but they were fine a
couple of days ago and I know of nothing that would of corrupted them. I'm
really at a loss on this one... any help would be appreciated.

System Profile
P4 2.4c GHz
1 GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT GPU (78.01 drivers)
Windows XP Pro (SP2 + all essential MS hotfixes)

- Viperz

--
# Customer: "I can't seem to send any email."
# Tech Support: "What are you doing to send it?"

    I never install any codec 'packs'. I install ONLY the correct codec that
    the video file needs.

    With which codec was this AVI file encoded?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Viperz" <some@body.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have recently started having strange problems with video files and they
    > used to be playable with no problems what-so-ever. I would double-click on
    > the video... Windows Media Player loads and begins loading the video
    > "Connecting"... then the mouse slows down then the computer hangs and
    > locks up.
    >
    > Even stranger, when I do get security dialog (Ctrl+Alt+Del) to come up...
    > the video plays just fine cause I can hear it in the background. I also
    > have codecs installed from "Cole2k Media - Codec Pack V5.58 Advanced"
    > (http://www.cole2k.net/?display=CP-A)
    >
    > The OS is a fresh reinstall... I have tried reverting to an older video
    > driver and nothing... tried updating codecs and nothing... reinstalled
    > Media Player and nothing... considered corrupted video files but they were
    > fine a couple of days ago and I know of nothing that would of corrupted
    > them. I'm really at a loss on this one... any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > System Profile
    > P4 2.4c GHz
    > 1 GB RAM
    > nVidia 6600GT GPU (78.01 drivers)
    > Windows XP Pro (SP2 + all essential MS hotfixes)
    >
    > - Viperz
    >
    > --
    > # Customer: "I can't seem to send any email."
    > # Tech Support: "What are you doing to send it?"
    > # Customer: "I write it down on a piece of paper, slide it into the slot
    > on the front of my computer, and click on 'send mail'."

Video Codec Windows XP