I thought auto on a point and shoot meant...

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 5, 2005 12:32:10 AM

Hi All,

I thought that a digital point and shoot in auto would automatically
set the right light setting if the flash went off. BUT, I have just
discovered
that my Nikon Coolpix 3200 doesn't do that. I am supposed to set the
lighting to SpeedLight any time the flash goes off. Of course, with auto
flash, I don't know every time. But if the flash goes off and it is not set
to SpeedLight, the image is way too blue and none of the photo editing
programs I've used are great at fixing the image. That is a pain.

Are all digital cameras like this????????????

Thanks,
dancer
January 5, 2005 1:31:34 AM

A simple answer would be no.
My Oly has an auto white balance setting. This rebalances wen the flash is
enabled.
In a fixed or custom white balance setting, or if I lock the measurements
the white balance can be locked to a non flash setting, resulting in a too
blue color balance. (C-8080)
"dancer" <dancerjen@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I thought that a digital point and shoot in auto would automatically
> set the right light setting if the flash went off. BUT, I have just
> discovered
> that my Nikon Coolpix 3200 doesn't do that. I am supposed to set the
> lighting to SpeedLight any time the flash goes off. Of course, with auto
> flash, I don't know every time. But if the flash goes off and it is not
> set
> to SpeedLight, the image is way too blue and none of the photo editing
> programs I've used are great at fixing the image. That is a pain.
>
> Are all digital cameras like this????????????
>
> Thanks,
> dancer

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 2:02:12 AM

NO

The cameras I have experienced that are not like this are
Fuji 1400 & 2600,
Kyocera S5,
Pentax Optio 550 & Optio SV,
Nikon 5100,
Canon A85

"Chuck" <cdkuder@nspmmsn.com> wrote in message
> A simple answer would be no.
> My Oly has an auto white balance setting. This rebalances wen the flash
is
> enabled.
> In a fixed or custom white balance setting, or if I lock the measurements
> the white balance can be locked to a non flash setting, resulting in a too
> blue color balance. (C-8080)
> "dancer" <dancerjen@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I thought that a digital point and shoot in auto would automatically
> > set the right light setting if the flash went off. BUT, I have just
> > discovered
> > that my Nikon Coolpix 3200 doesn't do that. I am supposed to set the
> > lighting to SpeedLight any time the flash goes off. Of course, with
auto
> > flash, I don't know every time. But if the flash goes off and it is not
> > set
> > to SpeedLight, the image is way too blue and none of the photo editing
> > programs I've used are great at fixing the image. That is a pain.
> >
> > Are all digital cameras like this????????????
> >
> > Thanks,
> > dancer

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 2:34:47 PM

My Canon G6 isn't like that.
It will monitor white balance no matter what in Auto & Program modes.

--
Ric Seyler

"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson