DVD Will not play

September 25, 2005 3:04:04 PM

When I put a DVD in it will not play. No problem playing CD's. When I right
click and try to open. Says please insert disk in drive when there is a DVD
in drive. Have already tried system restore. I also rebooted my computer.
Still not working. P.S. I just recently ran an update for a software
program. Could that have anything to do with this problem?

More about : dvd play

Anonymous
September 26, 2005 12:57:03 AM

It is a DVD drive, right? You do have DVD decoding software such as WinDVD
or PowerDVD? Unlikely to be a software update... more likely the laser that
reads the DVD (as opposed to the one that reads the CD) has failed.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Debbie" <Debbie @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I put a DVD in it will not play. No problem playing CD's. When I
> right
> click and try to open. Says please insert disk in drive when there is a
> DVD
> in drive. Have already tried system restore. I also rebooted my
> computer.
> Still not working. P.S. I just recently ran an update for a software
> program. Could that have anything to do with this problem?
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 8:17:04 AM

update/reinstall the driver/firmwire for your dvd drive.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> It is a DVD drive, right? You do have DVD decoding software such as WinDVD
> or PowerDVD? Unlikely to be a software update... more likely the laser that
> reads the DVD (as opposed to the one that reads the CD) has failed.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Debbie" <Debbie @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I put a DVD in it will not play. No problem playing CD's. When I
> > right
> > click and try to open. Says please insert disk in drive when there is a
> > DVD
> > in drive. Have already tried system restore. I also rebooted my
> > computer.
> > Still not working. P.S. I just recently ran an update for a software
> > program. Could that have anything to do with this problem?

Related resources
September 28, 2005 12:03:01 AM

Hi Cari, Yes to both questions I do have a DVD drive and WinDVD. It used to
play my DVD's but now it doesn't. When I right click DVD Drive on "my
computer", says "insert disc" when there already is one inside. Do I need to
get an entire DVD Drive if my laster has failed?

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> It is a DVD drive, right? You do have DVD decoding software such as WinDVD
> or PowerDVD? Unlikely to be a software update... more likely the laser that
> reads the DVD (as opposed to the one that reads the CD) has failed.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Debbie" <Debbie @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I put a DVD in it will not play. No problem playing CD's. When I
> > right
> > click and try to open. Says please insert disk in drive when there is a
> > DVD
> > in drive. Have already tried system restore. I also rebooted my
> > computer.
> > Still not working. P.S. I just recently ran an update for a software
> > program. Could that have anything to do with this problem?

September 28, 2005 12:05:03 AM

Thanks for the input. I did reinstall my driver. Still not working. Guess
this means I need a new DVD Drive? Haven't really used it much either.
Computer only a year old.
Thanks for the input.
Debbie

"srid" wrote:

> update/reinstall the driver/firmwire for your dvd drive.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > It is a DVD drive, right? You do have DVD decoding software such as WinDVD
> > or PowerDVD? Unlikely to be a software update... more likely the laser that
> > reads the DVD (as opposed to the one that reads the CD) has failed.
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP)
> > Printing & Imaging
> >

> > "Debbie" <Debbie @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > When I put a DVD in it will not play. No problem playing CD's. When I
> > > right
> > > click and try to open. Says please insert disk in drive when there is a
> > > DVD
> > > in drive. Have already tried system restore. I also rebooted my
> > > computer.
> > > Still not working. P.S. I just recently ran an update for a software
> > > program. Could that have anything to do with this problem?

Anonymous
September 28, 2005 1:11:43 PM

Yes, you do, sorry.

You might want to think about a DVD burner now that they are so cheap
instead of a DVD Rom drive. Great for backups!
--

> Hi Cari, Yes to both questions I do have a DVD drive and WinDVD. It used
> play my DVD's but now it doesn't. When I right click DVD Drive on "my
> computer", says "insert disc" when there already is one inside. Do I need
> get an entire DVD Drive if my laster has failed?
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> It is a DVD drive, right? You do have DVD decoding software such as
>> WinDVD
>> or PowerDVD? Unlikely to be a software update... more likely the laser
>> that
>> reads the DVD (as opposed to the one that reads the CD) has failed.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "Debbie" <Debbie @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I put a DVD in it will not play. No problem playing CD's. When I
>> > right
>> > click and try to open. Says please insert disk in drive when there is
>> > DVD
>> > in drive. Have already tried system restore. I also rebooted my
>> > computer.
>> > Still not working. P.S. I just recently ran an update for a software
>> > program. Could that have anything to do with this problem?

July 3, 2009 9:27:27 PM

This is not as simple as that , the players are most likely still functional. I have a double system , they both failed at excatly the same time . This is a vista issue. Happened once before and had to do a clean rebuild . The problem now is , the starting media is DVD . So it wont start a clean rebuild.

July 3, 2009 9:32:47 PM

Look at the date on the 'most recent post'. September 28th 2005 near four years ago. The people posting before you are no longer here or still have the problem or are using the same computer for that matter. Start a new thread to address current members when posting in the Forum.
!